Looking for Suttas

Casual discussion amongst spiritual friends.

Looking for Suttas

Postby clw_uk » Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:47 pm

Greetings

im trying to find two suttas but with no luck

the first one contains this passage

"Udayi, whosoever can recall the khandhas he has previously occupied in great number, of such a person would it be fitting to question me about past lives, or I could so question him; that person could satisfy me with an answer thereof, or I him. Whosoever sees the passing away of beings and their subsequent arisings, of such a person would it be fitting to ask me about future lives, or I could so question him; that person could satisfy me with an answer thereof, and I him.

"Enough, Udayi, of former times and future times. I will teach you the essence of the Dhamma: When there is this, there is that. With the arising of this, that arises. When there is not this, that cannot be; when this ceases, so does that."

The second one contains this

The householder, Gandhabhaga, having sat down at a respectful distance, addressed the Blessed One thus, "May the Blessed One teach me the origin and the cessation of suffering."

The Blessed One replied, "Householder, if I were to teach you the origin and the cessation of suffering by referring to the past thus, 'In the past there was this,' doubt and perplexity would arise in you thereof. If I were to teach you the origin and the cessation of suffering by referring to the future thus, 'In the future there will be this,' doubt and perplexity would arise in you thereof. Householder, I, here and now, shall teach you, here and now, the origin and the cessation of suffering."

Metta
“ Your mind is likewise blocked. But the right road awaits you still. Cast out your doubts, your fears and your desires, let go of grief and of hope as well, for where these rule , then the mind is their subject." Boetius
clw_uk

Re: Looking for Suttas

Postby mikenz66 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:33 pm

See http://www.what-buddha-taught.net/Books ... nation.htm
The references are [M.II.31] and [S.IV.327]. (Majjhima Nikaya and Samyutta Nikaya).

This means volume II page 31 of the PTS Pali version. You'll see those page numbers in decent translations (like the Nanamoli/Bodhi MN translation, where they are in the page headings and in square brackets in the text). On Access to Insight they are written like {M ii 31} but that particular Sutta is not on ATI, it seems, looking at the index: http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/mn/index.html

Metta
Mike
Last edited by mikenz66 on Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
mikenz66

Postby clw_uk » Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:46 pm

Thanks mike

I was always confuses with what it means with [M.II.31] and [S.IV.327]. I got the M standing for majjhima nikaya but the numbers confused me

Metta
“ Your mind is likewise blocked. But the right road awaits you still. Cast out your doubts, your fears and your desires, let go of grief and of hope as well, for where these rule , then the mind is their subject." Boetius
clw_uk

Postby mikenz66 » Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:02 am

I hope it's clear now.

There is more detailed explanation of how Suttas are referred to on Access to Insight here:
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/abbrev.html
Other authors may vary this a little...

Metta
Mike
mikenz66

Return to Lounge