Joseph Goldstein: Achieved is the End of Craving

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
daverupa

Re: Joseph Goldstein: Achieved is the End of Craving

Post by daverupa »

Bugleberry wrote:Cool talk:
Can't fine the Wei Wu Wei quote (paraphrase?) from this talk anywhere! JG said something like, "Wei Wu Wei said 'belief in a permanent, objective self is like a dog barking up a tree that isn't there.'" Does anyone know where to find it?
Bugle
Maybe this, bottom of page 187.
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
cooran

Post by cooran »

Hello all,

What an interesting man Wei Wu Wei was (a.k.a. Terence James Stannus Gray).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wei_Wu_Wei" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

with metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
christopher:::

Post by christopher::: »

cooran wrote:Hello all,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wei_Wu_Wei" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

with metta
Chris
This was cool...

Why are you unhappy?
Because 99.9 per cent
Of everything you think,
And of everything you do,
Is for yourself —
And there isn't one.

— Ask The Awakened

:thumbsup:
"As Buddhists, we should aim to develop relationships that are not predominated by grasping and clinging. Our relationships should be characterised by the brahmaviharas of metta (loving kindness), mudita (sympathetic joy), karuna (compassion), and upekkha (equanimity)."
~post by Ben, Jul 02, 2009
Sanghamitta

Post by Sanghamitta »

cooran wrote:Hello all,

with metta
Chris
He was a close friend of Christmas " Toby" Humphrys founder of the Buddhist Society of London..
He ( Gray ) lived in Monaco and maintained his own vineyard just over the border in Provence.
Following an introduction via Toby, Peter and I ( who were newly married ) went to visit him and came back with several bottles of his own best vintage...he was by then quite elderly.
He WAS an interesting man..His view of Rebirth was almost identical to that of Ajahn Buddhadhat ( Buddhadasa ) i.e. that there was frequently a basic misunderstanding of the concept due to the tendency to see time as linear. I had just returned from Bangkok and had been to talks by Buddhdasa. ( I at the time had a job with the British Council straight after leaving Oxford. )
When this was pointed out to him he was very interested but clearly had no knowledge of Buddhadasa's writings.
He had arrived at similar conclusions independantly.

:focus:
The going for refuge is the door of entrance to the teachings of the Buddha.

Bhikku Bodhi.

:smile:
"As Buddhists, we should aim to develop relationships that are not predominated by grasping and clinging. Our relationships should be characterised by the brahmaviharas of metta (loving kindness), mudita (sympathetic joy), karuna (compassion), and upekkha (equanimity)."
Anders

Post by Anders »

christopher::: wrote:I put together this video yesterday, with what I felt was one of the most insightful sections of Goldstein's Dhamma talk...

Three years belated thanks, Chris. The talk was excellent, goldstein is a bit like a gentle shower on a heaving summer day, but I have to say I really enjoyed the imagery in the video.

Normally, I don't pay heed to that in youtube talks but this one I felt was deserving of fullscreen immersement. Thanks for the good efforts and for sharing. :bow:

Hi Anders!

Glad you enjoyed that.

Tom8989

Post by Tom8989 »

Christopher,

Well done! :thumbsup: Now I have a really great reason to have a closer look on Goldsteins teachings.

Many thanks and may you all be well!

:buddha1:

Most welcome Tom…

Here's another section of a Goldstein talk that I uploaded to youtube. They only allow me to post videos less than 15 min in length so I've had that limitation…

Just saw this. Looks like someone else who does not have a time limit on their account uploaded the full talk of "Achieved is the End of Craving"…