Dhammawheel RSS?

Tell us how you think the forum can be improved. We will listen.
Mawkish1983

Dhammawheel RSS?

Post by Mawkish1983 »

Hello administrators,

I've recently discovered the magic of RSS for online forums etc... it's massively sped up my forum-browsing. Is there any way Dhammawheel can include RSS?
Fede

Re: Dhammawheel RSS?

Post by Fede »

Ok, I have to ask.

What is it?
"Samsara: The human condition's heartbreaking inability to sustain contentment." Elizabeth Gilbert, 'Eat, Pray, Love'.

Simplify: 17 into 1 WILL go: Mindfulness!

Quieta movere magna merces videbatur. (Sallust, c.86-c.35 BC)
Translation: Just to stir things up seemed a good reward in itself. ;)

I am sooooo happy - How on earth could I be otherwise?! :D

http://www.armchairadvice.co.uk/relationships/forum/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

Fede wrote:Ok, I have to ask.

What is it?
Hi Fede
as far as I can explain without looking it up it is a summary of new content on a web site, Access to insight, Buddhist channel and many many other sites have them, they update daily as far as I know but here is a link to a sight which could possibly explain more accurately http://www.whatisrss.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
Fede

Post by Fede »

Gosh, I am such a doofus....
so basically, it just tells you in a paragraph what the whole of a website is about....?
Rather like "Captain hell-bent on revenge, chases white whale, and loses" (Moby Dick)?

Thank you for the helping hand!
:hug:
"Samsara: The human condition's heartbreaking inability to sustain contentment." Elizabeth Gilbert, 'Eat, Pray, Love'.

Simplify: 17 into 1 WILL go: Mindfulness!

Quieta movere magna merces videbatur. (Sallust, c.86-c.35 BC)
Translation: Just to stir things up seemed a good reward in itself. ;)

I am sooooo happy - How on earth could I be otherwise?! :D

http://www.armchairadvice.co.uk/relationships/forum/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mawkish1983

Post by Mawkish1983 »

I've asked this in the wrong section haven't I? :s sorry. Could this be moved to the 'suggestions' section?

Also, would including an RSS feed be possible or am I dreaming?
Dhammanando

Post by Dhammanando »

Hi Mawkish,
Mawkish1983 wrote:I've asked this in the wrong section haven't I? :s sorry. Could this be moved to the 'suggestions' section?
Done.
Also, would including an RSS feed be possible or am I dreaming?
I don't know, but it sounds like rather a good idea.

Best wishes,
Dhammanando Bhikkhu
Rūpehi bhikkhave arūpā santatarā.
Arūpehi nirodho santataro ti.

“Bhikkhus, the formless is more peaceful than the form realms.
Cessation is more peaceful than the formless realms.”
(Santatarasutta, Iti 73)
Mawkish1983

Post by Mawkish1983 »

Maybe http://www.trap17.com/forums/Rss-Feeds- ... 36086.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; would help?

EDIT: or http://forum.msgshit.com/index.php?showtopic=6140" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ?
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Mawkish,

I checked out the links but they seem to be for the Invision software, whereas Dhamma Wheel runs off phpBB3.

Do you know if it can be done on phpBB3?

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
appicchato

Post by appicchato »

retrofuturist wrote:Do you know if it can be done on phpBB3?
Hi Paul,

It's all Greek to me but it looks like someone with phpbb3 has RSS feeds...perhaps you, or David, can decipher how...

http://www.phpbb-seo.com/en/gym-sitemap ... t2734.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Be well... :smile:
Mawkish1983

Post by Mawkish1983 »

retrofuturist wrote:Do you know if it can be done on phpBB3?
I'm no web programmer, but maybe this will help? http://www.phpbb-seo.com/en/gym-sitemap ... t2734.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If not, I'll keep looking (I'll keep looking anyway, because I just discovered a 'rival' Buddhism forum that is known to most of us has RSS feeds)
Mawkish1983

Post by Mawkish1983 »

Wow, am I embarrassed, appicchato got there first <laughs> :broke:

I'll keep looking :) thanks appicchato et al

EDIT: maybe http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... &t=1189825" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; is simpler?

EDIT 2: I asked the question here: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index ... 438AAolObH" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Mawkish & venerable Appicchato,

We'll have a look into it and see what seems possible.

We've been experiencing some problems with our e-mail server, so I'm unsure on whether that might also have some relation to the workability of RSS.

Metta,
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Mawkish1983

Post by Mawkish1983 »

That's great :) thanks Retro.

If it's any concellation (sp?) the e-sangha RSS doesn't work properly anyway :)

What's the email bug? I have never received an email from the threads I'm subscibed too... I'll check to see if I've subscribed properly (I'm using dhammawheel right now on my phone so I can't check things easily) later.

If you need any help with this RSS thing (including testing) just let me know :) if I can help, I will.
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Mawkish,
Mawkish1983 wrote:What's the email bug? I have never received an email from the threads I'm subscibed too...
That is the bug! :tongue:

Also the "password retrieval" e-mail not working etc...

Metta,
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Mawkish,

David has had discussions with his son about this and it seems too risky at this stage.

Adding MODS (non-standard plug ins) can potentially cause instability on phpBB3 systems, and also make upgrade paths more difficult in the future. Generally speaking, our preference is to wait until certain features become standard phpBB components before installing them. The more non-standard things you at, the more complex interactions you can have been the software, the various MODS, everyone's browsers etc.... it gets exponentially more complex, and we'd like to keep the system side of things as simple and standardised as possible.

The only MOD we have installed now is a simple one which on the Index pages which shows who made the last post in each sub-forum, when, and what the topic was about. This was deemed to be important functionality and with little potential for causing technical issues.

Thanks for your suggestion, help and interest though... it is certainly appreciated.

:anjali:

Metta,