Conversations with devas

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
srivijaya

Re: Conversations with devas

Post by srivijaya »

Interesting topic, as I've recently started to read my copy of the Samyutta Nikaya which opens with conversations with Devatas.
I guess the Jhana Buddha is in will affect and enable any communication he has at that level. It would be like 'tuning in' to a different frequency and, thus, being able to 'connect' with beings who dwell there.
rowyourboat

Post by rowyourboat »

modern psychiatry is moving towards the idea that hallucinations are on a spectrum with normality- ie a large portion of the normal population can experience hallucinations without having any mental illness. for example it is quite normal to have hallucinations when falling asleep or waking up, when extremely tired and with sensory deprivation. what is not clear is why a normal mind has such a capacity.
With Metta

Karuna
Mudita
& Upekkha
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

rowyourboat wrote:modern psychiatry is moving towards the idea that hallucinations are on a spectrum with normality- ie a large portion of the normal population can experience hallucinations without having any mental illness. for example it is quite normal to have hallucinations when falling asleep or waking up, when extremely tired and with sensory deprivation. what is not clear is why a normal mind has such a capacity.
you remind me of a program exploring this I will have a search for it! I don;t remember the name but it was a female psychiatrist and a UK program so those in the US would not of seen it in all likelyhood.

there is also during times of grief, and we don't think those who choose a vocation within a closed community of monastics as mentally ill even though they do many of the same things associated with mental illness (talking to someone we can not see, being isolated etc)
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
pink_trike

Post by pink_trike »

rowyourboat wrote:modern psychiatry is moving towards the idea that hallucinations are on a spectrum with normality.
Interesting. Can you site some references, please?
Vision is Mind
Mind is Empty
Emptiness is Clear Light
Clear Light is Union
Union is Great Bliss

- Dawa Gyaltsen

---

Disclaimer: I'm a non-religious practitioner of Theravada, Mahayana/Vajrayana, and Tibetan Bon Dzogchen mind-training.
srivijaya

Post by srivijaya »

rowyourboat wrote: a large portion of the normal population can experience hallucinations without having any mental illness. for example it is quite normal to have hallucinations when falling asleep or waking up, when extremely tired and with sensory deprivation. what is not clear is why a normal mind has such a capacity.
So, basically Buddha and his followers were hallucinating when they imagined talking to Devas.
Is it possible that Jhana is a result of the "sensory deprivation" scenario you mention?
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

Just read Ajahn Muns Bio, seems he had a very interesting life full of visions, insight and adventure

I did read one point

There were
also some arahant disciples who visited him, exchanging complimentary greetings.
Occasionally they showed him the manner of their passing away. These included those
who passed away within that cave and others who had passed away elsewhere. They
always gave him explanations with their demonstrations. The salient points of their visits
will be related below and the writer begs the forgiveness of the readers for any
deficiencies, which there certainly must be.
http://www.what-buddha-taught.net/Books ... Master.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Very interesting passage, has there been other cases of people speaking to Arahants (after parinibbana)?

Metta
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”
Ngawang Drolma.

Post by Ngawang Drolma. »

SeerObserver wrote:There are many accounts of people encountering pretas. This is also met with skepticism, although less so than encounters with devas. It seems easy to believe that pretas linger and make themselves known in order for us to be able to help them somehow. People seem to have a hard time believing devas are sometimes in need of the same. This post from ANOTHER THREAD is relevant.
Dear Seer,

I've read your posts and I'm pretty sure you're the same SeerObserver with whom I talked about this in chat a little. I find your comments really interesting, and I hope you keep sharing.

:anjali:
gavesako

Post by gavesako »

There is a tradition in Ch'an Buddhism in particular of the 16 Arahats who are believed to continue their existence in this world in order to protect the Buddhist religion. One can contact them through meditation, especially the Arahat Pindola (who is also known in the Pali Suttas). Many people seem to have visions (nimitta) of Buddhas and arahants in meditation, and it is not surprising that such an idea should come about. However, Ajahn Mun simply related his experience as it was, he did learn some lesson from it, and that was it. Other people have repreated it and interpreted it, and made a metaphysical statement about the "real existence" of those arahants from it.
Bhikkhu Gavesako
Kiṃkusalagavesī anuttaraṃ santivarapadaṃ pariyesamāno... (MN 26)

Access to Insight - Theravada texts
Ancient Buddhist Texts - Translations and history of Pali texts
Dhammatalks.org - Sutta translations
SeerObserver

Post by SeerObserver »

Drolma wrote:
SeerObserver wrote:There are many accounts of people encountering pretas. This is also met with skepticism, although less so than encounters with devas. It seems easy to believe that pretas linger and make themselves known in order for us to be able to help them somehow. People seem to have a hard time believing devas are sometimes in need of the same. This post from ANOTHER THREAD is relevant.
Dear Seer,

I've read your posts and I'm pretty sure you're the same SeerObserver with whom I talked about this in chat a little. I find your comments really interesting, and I hope you keep sharing.

:anjali:
Thank you. Always glad to make a contribution. We're all in this together.
nathan

Post by nathan »

gavesako wrote:Many people seem to have visions (nimitta) of Buddhas and arahants in meditation, and it is not surprising that such an idea should come about. However, Ajahn Mun simply related his experience as it was, he did learn some lesson from it, and that was it. Other people have repreated it and interpreted it, and made a metaphysical statement about the "real existence" of those arahants from it.
:bow: :bow: :bow:
This is good advice. One can make a useful and important distinction about what is one's existential experience, one's existential realizations and what is one's conceptualizations. For most of us communication skills lag behind this and so I apologize if my take on this kind of phenomena presented in terms considered mythical or mentally ill but engaging in that discussion is like trying to prove you aren't a nazi. Try it. Trying to modernize what may appear to many as an archaic form of traditional acceptance because it doesn't conform with modern conventions of sanity is not my problem. My experience is mine to debug and I'm on it so I am not out to prove anything to anyone about my conditionality, consider me nobody special at all.

I'm not going to try to change my explanation of my experience from spooky to scientifically truthy because people are more comfortable with that because it isn't a better fit anyways. No one benefits from invalidating anyone elses actual experience within whatever conditions those are, sane or not. I accept skepticism, cynicism and a lot of tolerance of it because I think those with faith and various kinds of experience are also tolerated. I think actually seeing a diva demonstrates why even then liberation is superior and brings divas 'down to earth' a bit as opposed to elevating one's estimation of that condition. Again as to space time, I think this is underestimating the Buddha's awareness. The Buddha spoke of the next Buddha as well and if I recall correctly in very remote future terms. Space time is not what most worldly humans think it is. It exists as gravity does and it can be relativistically overcome as gravity can be. Western science hasn't developed an application in it's limited terms but to suggest that the mind has such limitations is the same kind of bondage within one's body and mind as comes from failing to address that aspect of being directly. If the mind isn't 'mine' in the first place then it doesn't have the limits of being 'my' mind at all does it?

Have a nice day.
:namaste:
But whoever walking, standing, sitting, or lying down overcomes thought, delighting in the stilling of thought: he's capable, a monk like this, of touching superlative self-awakening. § 110. {Iti 4.11; Iti 115}