Vipassana taught by the Buddha

On the cultivation of insight/wisdom
rowyourboat

Re: Vipassana taught by the Buddha

Post by rowyourboat »

Starter,

The steps to stream entry:

1) association with kalyanamittas/spiritual friends
2) listening to the true dhamma (..said by 1) above)
3) appropriate contemplation (yonisomanasikara)- what you considered 'contemplation', if I am not mistaken
4) practice according to the dhamma. (dhammanudhamma patipada)

In my practice of teaching, I find that yonisomanasikara serves as a good foundation for contemplating anicca etc BEFORE starting bare awareness/choiceless awareness, because otherwise many practitioners will simply go down the 'make samsara comfortable route, by being mindful'. I used to start with mindfulness, but now I make sure that right view is in place, before starting pure satipatthana. This is time well spent, otherwise people could go completely off track.. as seems to have happened sometimes.

I feel the dhammanudhamma patipada refers to the satipatthana- note that silavantan sutta say a practitioner MAY get into stream entry by appropriate contemplation alone, but in the satipatthana sutta this is guaranteed - it is the 'ekayana' path- the one sure path. You ask for other suttas - well Anapanasati sutta, Kayagatasati sutta and the satipatthana samyutta all come to mind. Remember there are 8 other factors to practice as well- so there are lost more suttas on those elements of the path as well- and it is not all about mindfulness (the one-fold path :) ).

Also look at this:

"In the same way, there are these gross impurities in a monk intent on heightened mind: misconduct in body, speech, & mind. These the monk — aware & able by nature — abandons, destroys, dispels, wipes out of existence. When he is rid of them, there remain in him the moderate impurities: thoughts of sensuality, ill will, & harmfulness. These he abandons, destroys, dispels, wipes out of existence. When he is rid of them there remain in him the fine impurities: thoughts of his caste, thoughts of his home district, thoughts related to not wanting to be despised. These he abandons, destroys, dispels, wipes out of existence.
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

We should not let ourselves be biased based on the locality from where our teachings originate from. :smile:

with metta

Matheesha
With Metta

Karuna
Mudita
& Upekkha
starter

Post by starter »

Hm ... I've just learned something new about anapanasati. As I understand now, the second tetrad appears to mean the calming of the piti and the coarse pleasure associated with piti, in order to calm down the agitation associated with such feelings. Whereas the third tetrad seems to be about experiencing the refined sukha, the refined pleasure associated with tranquilized body and mind, which can lead one to profound samādhi (there are different types of sukha). So "experiencing the mind" probably doesn't mean "Experiencing the presence and absence [stilling] of greed/aversion/delusion", and "Gladdening the mind" also doesn't mean cheering up the mind "by the absence of greed/aversion/delusion and other hindrances", but deepening the refined sukha. The third tetrad finally achieves "stilling of the mind".

Thanks and metta to all,

Starter
starter

Post by starter »

Hi I listened to the 16 steps several times today and realized that the second tetrad appears to mean experiencing mental fabrications and experiencing the calming/stilling of mental fabrications (perceptions of feelings and all mental formations) instead of the calming of actual sukha. The 4th tetrad (contemplation of the Dhamma) seems to mean experiencing/contemplating anicca/fading away/cessation/relinquishment of every in-breath and out-breath, instead of things other than breath.

The contemplation of the five aggregates as anicca/dukkha/anatta and the contemplation of nibbana don't seem to be done during the 16 steps, but probably another way of meditation after entering jhana.

Welcome your comments. Thanks and metta,

Starter
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

starter wrote:"This Chinese Tipitaka may contain Mahayana material, but the Agamas do not, as far as I've ever heard, being that they're more or less same body of texts as the Nikayas."

-- Indeed, the Agamas were introduced to and translated (around end 300 A.C.) in China well before Mahayana.
This is from the great buddhologist Msgr. Etienne Lamotte, SJ in his
exhaustive HISTORY OF INDIAN BUDDHISM (Peeters Press, 1988,
page 156):
  • However, with the exception of the Mahayanist interpolations in
    the _Ekottara_ [the Chinese equivalent to the Pali Canon's
    _Anguttara_], which are easily discernable, the variations in
    question affect hardly anything save the method of expression or
    arrangement of the subjects. The doctrinal basis common to the
    agamas [preserved in Chinese and partially Sanskrit and Tibetan]
    is remarkably uniform. Preserved and transmitted by the schools,
    the sutras [discourses] do not however constitute scholastic
    documents, but are the common heritage of all the sects.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Assaji

Post by Assaji »

Hi Starter,
starter wrote:Hi I listened to the 16 steps several times today and realized that the second tetrad appears to mean experiencing mental fabrications and experiencing the calming/stilling of mental fabrications (perceptions of feelings and all mental formations) instead of the calming of actual sukha. The 4th tetrad (contemplation of the Dhamma) seems to mean experiencing/contemplating anicca/fading away/cessation/relinquishment of every in-breath and out-breath, instead of things other than breath.
If you are interested in the details, I would recommend:

- Anapanasati chapter in Patisambhidamagga http://bps.lk/olib/bp/bp502s.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://dhamma.ru/forum/index.php?topic= ... 93#msg9193" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ;
- Anapanasati chapter in Vimuttimagga
http://www.archive.org/details/ArahantU ... reedom.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ;
- Commentary on Satipatthana sutta (including Anapanasati)
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/auth ... wayof.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The contemplation of the five aggregates as anicca/dukkha/anatta and the contemplation of nibbana don't seem to be done during the 16 steps, but probably another way of meditation after entering jhana.
The fourth section of Satipatthana (and Anapanasati) is indeed devoted to the development of Vipassana. Buddha describes it in more detail as the development of seven selective recognitions (sanna) mentioned above:

http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.ph ... 834#p40805" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Metta, Dmytro
starter

Post by starter »

Hi thanks for the input. Anapanasati is for developing the 4 mindfulness (mindfulness of body/feeling/mind/Dhamma) ["... mindfulness of in-&-out breathing is developed & pursued so as to bring the four frames of reference to their culmination"]. I tend to think the 4 tetrads can all be used for Vipassana to penetrate the anicca nature of body/feeling/mind/Dhamma, or bodily & mental formations. The penetration of the four (not only one) is needed for gaining insight on the anicca/dukkha/anatta nature of the five aggregates (body, feeling, and mind which includes perception, volitional formation and consciousness aggregates).

Yesterday at another forum I read a question concerning being mindful of body (or feeling or mind or Dhamma) alone can fulfill the mindfulness enlightenment factor and subsequently the other 6 enlightenment factors, which can bring clear knowing & release to their culmination, then why we need to practice all the 4 mindfulness ["This is how the four frames of reference are developed & pursued so as to bring the seven factors for awakening to their culmination" - MN 118]. The phrasing (or translation?) of MN 118 about this part is indeed a bit confusing. But I believe we definitely need to develop all the 4 mindfulness instead of only one, as mentioned above.

Metta to all,

Starter
pegembara

Post by pegembara »

Yesterday at another forum I read a question concerning being mindful of body (or feeling or mind or Dhamma) alone can fulfill the mindfulness enlightenment factor and subsequently the other 6 enlightenment factors, which can bring clear knowing & release to their culmination, then why we need to practice all the 4 mindfulness ["This is how the four frames of reference are developed & pursued so as to bring the seven factors for awakening to their culmination" - MN 118]. The phrasing (or translation?) of MN 118 about this part is indeed a bit confusing. But I believe we definitely need to develop all the 4 mindfulness instead of only one, as mentioned above.
Surely one has to be mindful of every object that makes an appearance. Being mindful of only some frames of references means that many objects will be missed. Such degree of mindfulness surely lacks power to adequately train the mind. Besides one doesn't get to "choose" what comes up.
And what is right speech? Abstaining from lying, from divisive speech, from abusive speech, & from idle chatter: This is called right speech.
starter

Post by starter »

Greetings!

Today I heard The Fire Sermon, and learned to apply the teaching to the all (the six sense sets and five aggregates) by seeing them all burning with suffering. I hope I can always remember to see the all burning with suffering to grow disenchanted with them, like the one thousand monks when heard the teaching and became liberated.

Metta to all!

SN 35.28 Adittapariyaya Sutta: The Fire Sermon

"Bhikkhus, all is burning. And what is the all that is burning?

"The eye is burning, forms are burning, eye-consciousness is burning, eye-contact is burning, and whatever feeling arises with eye-contact as condition—whether pleasant or painful or neither-painful-nor-pleasant—that too is burning (so is perception and volition). Burning with what? Burning with the fire of lust, with the fire of hate, with the fire of delusion; burning with birth, aging and death; with sorrows, lamentations, pains, griefs, and despairs, I say.

"The ear is burning, sounds are burning, ear-consciousness is burning, ear-contact is burning, and whatever feeling arises with ear-contact as condition—whether pleasant or painful or neither-painful-nor-pleasant—that too is burning (so is perception and volition). Burning with what? Burning with the fire of lust, with the fire of hate, with the fire of delusion; burning with birth, aging and death; with sorrows, lamentations, pains, griefs, and despairs, I say.

"The nose is burning, odors are burning, nose-consciousness is burning, nose-contact is burning, and whatever feeling arises with nose-contact as condition—whether pleasant or painful or neither-painful-nor-pleasant—that too is burning. Burning with what? Burning with the fire of lust, with the fire of hate, with the fire of delusion; burning with birth, aging and death; with sorrows, lamentations, pains, griefs, and despairs, I say....

"The tongue is burning, flavors are burning, tongue-consciousness is burning, tongue-contact is burning, and whatever feeling arises with tongue-contact as condition—whether pleasant or painful or neither-painful-nor-pleasant—that too is burning (so is perception and volition). Burning with what? Burning with the fire of lust, with the fire of hate, with the fire of delusion; burning with birth, aging and death; with sorrows, lamentations, pains, griefs, and despairs, I say.

"The body is burning, tangibles are burning, body-consciousness is burning, body-contact is burning, and whatever feeling arises with eye-contact as condition—whether pleasant or painful or neither-painful-nor-pleasant—that too is burning (so is perception and volition). Burning with what? Burning with the fire of lust, with the fire of hate, with the fire of delusion; burning with birth, aging and death; with sorrows, lamentations, pains, griefs, and despairs, I say.

"The mind is burning, mental objects are burning, mind-consciousness is burning, mind-contact is burning, and whatever feeling arises with mind-contact as condition—whether pleasant or painful or neither-painful-nor-pleasant—that too is burning. Burning with what? Burning with the fire of lust, with the fire of hate, with the fire of delusion; burning with birth, aging and death; with sorrows, lamentations, pains, griefs, and despairs, I say.

"Seeing thus, the well-instructed noble disciple grows disenchanted with the eye, disenchanted with forms, disenchanted with consciousness at the eye, disenchanted with contact at the eye. And whatever feeling arises with eye-contact as condition—whether pleasant or painful or neither-painful-nor-pleasant: with that, too, he grows disenchanted.

"He grows disenchanted with the ear...

"He grows disenchanted with the nose...

"He grows disenchanted with the tongue...

"He grows disenchanted with the body...

"He grows disenchanted with the mind, disenchanted with mental objects, disenchanted with mind-consciousness, disenchanted with mind-contact. And whatever feeling arises with mind-contact as condition—whether pleasant or painful or neither-painful-nor-pleasant: with that, too, he grows disenchanted.

Disenchanted, he becomes dispassionate. Through dispassion, his mind is fully liberated. When liberated there comes the knowledge: ‘It’s liberated.’ He understands: ‘Destroyed is birth, the holy life has been lived, what had to be done has been done, there is no more for this state of being.’”

This is what the Supreme One said. Gratified, those bhikkhus delighted in the Supreme One’s words. And while this discourse was being spoken, the minds of the thousand bhikkhus were liberated from the taints by clinging no more."

(The "translation" is synthesized from various available versions.)
starter

Post by starter »

Greetings!

The 10 vipassana taught in Girimānandasuttaṁ sutta (The Discourse to Girimānanda):

Evaṁ me sutaṁ:
Thus I have heard:

ekaṁ samayaṁ Bhagavā Sāvatthiyaṁ viharati
at one time the Gracious One was dwelling near Sāvatthi

Jetavane Anāthapiṇḍikassa ārāme.
at Anāthapiṇḍika's grounds in Jeta's Wood.

Tena kho pana samayena āyasmā Girimānando
Then at that time venerable Girimānanda

ābādhiko hoti dukkhito bāḷhagilāno.
was afflicted, suffering, and very sick.

Atha kho āyasmā Ānando yena Bhagavā tenupasaṅkami,
Then venerable Ānanda approached the Gracious One,

upasaṅkamitvā Bhagavantaṁ abhivādetvā ekam-antaṁ nisīdi.
and after approaching and worshipping the Gracious One, he sat down on one side.

Ekam-antaṁ nisinno kho āyasmā Ānando Bhagavantaṁ etad-avoca:
While sitting on one side venerable Ānanda said this to the Gracious One:

“Āyasmā bhante Girimānando ābādhiko 02 dukkhito bāḷhagilāno.
“Reverend Sir, venerable Girimānanda is afflicted, suffering, and very sick.

Sādhu bhante Bhagavā yenāyasmā Girimānando
Please, reverend Sir, may the Gracious One approach

tenupasaṅkamatu, anukampaṁ upādāyā” ti.
venerable Girimānanda, taking pity on him.”

“Sace kho tvaṁ Ānanda Girimānandassa bhikkhuno upasaṅkamitvā,
“If you, Ānanda, having approached the monk Girimānanda,

dasasaññā bhāseyyāsi, ṭhānaṁ kho panetaṁ vijjati yaṁ
were to recite the ten perceptions, then it is possible that

Girimānandassa bhikkhuno dasasaññā sutvā
having heard the ten perceptions, the monk Girimānanda's

so ābādho ṭhānaso paṭippassambheyya.
affliction would immediately abate.

Katamā dasa?
What are the ten?

Aniccasaññā, [01]
The perception of impermanence,

anattasaññā, [02]
the perception of non-self,

asubhasaññā, [03]
the perception of the unattractive,

ādīnavasaññā, [04]
the perception of danger,

pahānasaññā, [05]
the perception of giving up,

virāgasaññā, [06]
the perception of dispassion,

nirodhasaññā, [07]
the perception of cessation,

sabbaloke anabhiratasaññā, [08]
the perception of non-delight in the whole world,

sabbasaṅkhāresu aniccasaññā, [09]
the perception of impermanence in all processes,

ānāpānasati. [10]
mindfulness while breathing.

Katamā c' Ānanda aniccasaññā? [01]
Now what, Ānanda, is the perception of impermanence?

Idh' Ānanda bhikkhu araññagato vā, rukkhamūlagato vā,
Here, Ānanda, a monk who has gone to the wilderness, or to the root of a tree,

suññāgāragato vā, iti paṭisañcikkhati:
or to an empty place, con :anjali: siders thus:

rūpaṁ aniccaṁ
form is impermanent

vedanā aniccā
feelings are impermanent

saññā aniccā
perceptions are impermanent

saṅkhārā aniccā
(mental) processes are impermanent

viññāṇaṁ aniccan-ti.
consciousness is impermanent.

Iti imesu pañcasupādānakkhandhesu aniccānupassī viharati.
Thus in regard to these five constituent groups (of mind and body) that provide fuel for attachment he dwells contemplating impermanence.

Ayaṁ vuccat' Ānanda aniccasaññā.
This, Ānanda, is called the perception of impermanence.

Katamā c' Ānanda anattasaññā? [02]
Now what, Ānanda, is the perception of non-self?

or to an empty place, considers thus:

Cakkhuṁ anattā - rūpā 03 anattā
the eye is not self - forms are not self

sotaṁ anattā - saddā anattā
the ear is not self - sounds are not self

ghāṇaṁ anattā - gandhā anattā
the nose is not self - smells are not self

jivhā anattā - rasā anattā
the tongue is not self - tastes are not self

kāyo anattā - phoṭṭhabbā anattā
the body is not self - tangibles are not self

mano anattā - dhammā anattā ti.
the mind is not self - thoughts are not self.

Iti imesu chasu ajjhattikabāhiresu āyatanesu
Thus in regard to these six internal and external sense spheres

anattānupassī viharati.
he dwells contemplating non-self.

Ayaṁ vuccat' Ānanda anattasaññā.
This, Ānanda, is called the perception of non-self.

Katamā c' Ānanda asubhasaññā? [03]
Now what, Ānanda, is the perception of the unattractive?

Idh' Ānanda bhikkhu imam-eva kāyaṁ -
Here, Ānanda, a monk (in regard to) this body -

uddhaṁ pādatalā, adho kesamatthakā, tacapariyantaṁ,
from the sole of the feet upwards, from the hair of the head down, bounded by the skin,

pūraṁ nānappakārassa asucino - paccavekkhati:
and filled with manifold impurities - reflects (thus):

Atthi imasmiṁ kāye:
There are in this body:

kesā, lomā, nakhā, dantā, taco,
hairs of the head, body hairs, nails, teeth, skin,

maṁsaṁ, nahāru, aṭṭhi, aṭṭhimiñjā, 04 vakkaṁ,
flesh, sinews, bones, bone-marrow, kidneys,

hadayaṁ, yakanaṁ, kilomakaṁ, pihakaṁ, papphāsaṁ,
heart, liver, pleura, spleen, lungs,

antaṁ, antaguṇaṁ, udariyaṁ, karīsaṁ,
intestines, mesentery, undigested food, excrement,

pittaṁ, semhaṁ, pubbo, lohitaṁ, sedo, medo,
bile, phlegm, pus, blood, sweat, fat,

assu, vasā, kheḷo, siṅghānikā, lasikā, muttan-ti.
tears, grease, spit, mucus, synovial fluid, urine.

Iti imasmiṁ kāye asubhānupassī viharati.
Thus in regard to this body he dwells contemplating what is unattractive.

Ayaṁ vuccat' Ānanda asubhasaññā.
This, Ānanda, is called the perception of the unattractive.

Katamā c' Ānanda ādīnavasaññā? [04]
Now what, Ānanda, is the perception of danger?

Bahu dukkho kho ayaṁ kāyo bahu ādīnavo,
This body has many sufferings, many dangers,

iti imasmiṁ kāye vividhā ābādhā uppajjanti, seyyathīdaṁ:
thus, in connection with this body, various afflictions arise, like this:

cakkhurogo, sotarogo, ghāṇarogo, jivhārogo, kāyarogo,
eye-disease, ear-disease, nose-disease, tongue-disease, body-disease (i.e diseases affecting the sense spheres),

sīsarogo, kaṇṇarogo, mukharogo, dantarogo,
head-disease, ear-disease, mouth-disease, tooth-disease,

kāso, sāso, pināso, ḍaho, jaro,
cough, asthma, catarrh, pyrexia, fever,

kucchirogo, mucchā, pakkhandikā, 05 sūlā, visūcikā,
stomach-ache, fainting, diarrhoea, gripes, cholera,

kuṭṭhaṁ, gaṇḍo, kilāso, soso, apamāro,
leprosy, boils, eczema, consumption, epilepsy,

daddu, kaṇḍu, kacchu, rakhasā, 06 vitacchikā,
ringworm, itch, scab, chickenpox, scabies,

lohitapittaṁ, madhumeho, aṁsā, piḷakā, bhagandalā,
haemorrhage, diabetes, piles, cancer, ulcers,

pittasamuṭṭhānā ābādhā, semhasamuṭṭhānā ābādhā,
afflictions arising from excess bile, afflictions arising from excess phlegm,

vātasamuṭṭhānā ābādhā, sannipātikā ābādhā,
afflictions arising from excess wind, afflictions arising from a conflict of humours,

utupariṇāmajā ābādhā, visamaparihārajā ābādhā, 07
afflictions born of a change of season, afflictions born of not being careful,

opakkamikā ābādhā, kammavipākajā ābādhā,
afflictions from being attacked, afflictions born as a result of (previous unwholesome) actions,

sītaṁ, uṇhaṁ, jighacchā, pipāsā, uccāro, passāvo ti.
cold, heat, hunger, thirst, stool, urine.

Iti imasmiṁ kāye ādīnavānupassī viharati.
Thus, in regard to this body, he dwells contemplating danger.

Ayaṁ vuccat' Ānanda ādīnavasaññā.
This, Ānanda, is called the perception of danger.

Katamā c' Ānanda pahānasaññā? [05]
Now what, Ānanda, is the perception of giving up?

Idh' Ānanda bhikkhu uppannaṁ kāmavitakkaṁ nādhivāseti,
Here, Ānanda, a monk does not consent to thoughts of sense desire that have arisen,

pajahati, vinodeti, byantīkaroti, anabhāvaṁ gameti.
(these) he gives up, dispels, brings to an end, and makes non-existent.

Uppannaṁ vyāpādavitakkaṁ nādhivāseti,
He does not consent to thoughts of ill-will that have arisen,

08 Uppannaṁ vihiṁsāvitakkaṁ nādhivāseti,
He does not consent to thoughts of violence that have arisen,

Uppannuppanne pāpake akusale dhamme nādhivāseti,
He does not consent to any bad, unwholesome, thoughts that have arisen,

Ayaṁ vuccat' Ānanda pahānasaññā.
This, Ānanda, is called the perception of giving up.

Katamā c' Ānanda virāgasaññā? [06]
Now what, Ānanda, is the perception of dispassion?

Etaṁ santaṁ, etaṁ paṇītaṁ,
This is peaceful, this is excellent,

yad-idaṁ:
that is to say:

sabbasaṅkhārasamatho,
the tranquilising of all processes,

sabbūpadhipaṭinissaggo,
the letting go of all bases for cleaving,

taṇhakkhayo,
the end of craving,

virāgo,
dispassion,

Nibbānan-ti.
Nibbāna.

Ayaṁ vuccat' Ānanda virāgasaññā.
This, Ānanda, is called the perception of dispassion.

Katamā c' Ānanda nirodhasaññā? [07]
Now what, Ānanda, is the perception of cessation?

Etaṁ santaṁ, etaṁ paṇītaṁ,
This is peaceful, this is excellent,

yad-idaṁ:
that is to say:

sabbasaṅkhārasamatho,
the tranquilising of all processes,

sabbūpadhipaṭinissaggo,
the letting go of all bases for cleaving,

taṇhakkhayo,
the end of craving,

nirodho,
cessation,

Nibbānan-ti.
Nibbāna.

Ayaṁ vuccat' Ānanda nirodhasaññā.
This, Ānanda, is called the perception of cessation.

Katamā c' Ānanda sabbaloke anabhiratasaññā? [08]
Now what, Ānanda, is the perception of non-delight in the whole world?

Idh' Ānanda bhikkhu ye loke upāyupādānā cetaso adhiṭṭhānābhinivesānusayā,
Here, Ānanda, a monk in regard to whatever in the world are selfish means and attachments, or mental determinations, settled beliefs, and tendencies,

te pajahanto, viramati, na upādiyanto. 09
giving these up, not being attached, he abstains (from them).

Ayaṁ vuccat' Ānanda sabbaloke anabhiratasaññā.
This, Ānanda, is the perception of non-delight in the whole world.

Katamā c' Ānanda sabbasaṅkhāresu aniccasaññā? [09]
Now what, Ānanda, is the perception of impermanence in all processes?

Idh' Ānanda bhikkhu
Here, Ānanda, a monk

sabbasaṅkhārehi 10 aṭṭīyati, harāyati, jigucchati.
in regard to all processes is distressed, ashamed, and disgusted.

Ayaṁ vuccat' Ānanda sabbasaṅkhāresu aniccasaññā.
This, Ānanda, is the perception of impermanence in all processes.

Katamā c' Ānanda ānāpānasati? [10]
Now what, Ānanda, is mindfulness while breathing?

suññāgāragato vā, nisīdati.
or to an empty place, sits down.

Pallaṅkaṁ ābhujitvā, ujuṁ kāyaṁ paṇidhāya,
After folding his legs crosswise, setting his body straight,

parimukhaṁ satiṁ upaṭṭhapetvā,
and establishing mindfulness at the front,

so sato va assasati, sato passasati.
mindful he breathes in, mindful he breathes out.

Dīghaṁ vā assasanto “dīghaṁ assasāmī” ti pajānāti,
While breathing in long, he knows “I am breathing in long”,

dīghaṁ vā passasanto “dīghaṁ passasāmī” ti pajānāti,
while breathing out long, he knows “I am breathing out long”,

rassaṁ vā assasanto “rassaṁ assasāmī” ti pajānāti,
while breathing in short, he knows “I am breathing in short”,

rassaṁ vā passasanto “rassaṁ passasāmī” ti pajānāti,
while breathing out short, he knows “I am breathing out short”,

sabbakāyapaṭisaṁvedī assasissāmī ti sikkhati,
he trains like this: experiencing the whole body I will breathe in,

sabbakāyapaṭisaṁvedī passasissāmī ti sikkhati,
he trains like this: experiencing the whole body I will breathe out,

passambhayaṁ kāyasaṅkhāraṁ assasissāmī ti sikkhati,
he trains like this: making the bodily process calm I will breathe in,

passambhayaṁ kāyasaṅkhāraṁ passasissāmī ti sikkhati.
he trains like this: making the bodily process calm I will breathe out.

Pītipaṭisaṁvedī assasissāmī ti sikkhati,
He trains like this: experiencing joy I will breathe in,

pītipaṭisaṁvedī passasissāmī ti sikkhati,
he trains like this: experiencing joy I will breathe out,

sukhapaṭisaṁvedī assasissāmī ti sikkhati,
he trains like this: experiencing pleasure I will breathe in,

sukhapaṭisaṁvedī passasissāmī ti sikkhati,
he trains like this: experiencing pleasure I will breathe out,

cittasaṅkhārapaṭisaṁvedī assasissāmī ti sikkhati,
he trains like this: experiencing the mental process I will breathe in,

cittasaṅkhārapaṭisaṁvedī passasissāmī ti sikkhati,
he trains like this: experiencing the mental process I will breathe out,

passambhayaṁ cittasaṅkhāraṁ assasissāmī ti sikkhati,
he trains like this: making the mental process calm I will breathe in,

passambhayaṁ cittasaṅkhāraṁ passasissāmī ti sikkhati.
he trains like this: making the mental process calm I will breathe out.

Cittapaṭisaṁvedī assasissāmī ti sikkhati,
He trains like this: experiencing the mind I will breathe in,

cittapaṭisaṁvedī passasissāmī ti sikkhati,
he trains like this: experiencing the mind I will breathe out,

abhippamodayaṁ cittaṁ assasissāmī ti sikkhati,
he trains like this: gladdening the mind I will breathe in,

abhippamodayaṁ cittaṁ passasissāmī ti sikkhati,
he trains like this: gladdening the mind I will breathe out,

samādahaṁ cittaṁ assasissāmī ti sikkhati,
he trains like this: concentrating the mind I will breathe in,

samādahaṁ cittaṁ passasissāmī ti sikkhati,
he trains like this: concentrating the mind I will breathe out,

vimocayaṁ cittaṁ assasissāmī ti sikkhati,
he trains like this: freeing the mind I will breathe in,

vimocayaṁ cittaṁ passasissāmī ti sikkhati.
he trains like this: freeing the mind I will breathe out.

Aniccānupassī assasissāmī ti sikkhati,
He trains like this: contemplating impermanence I will breathe in,

aniccānupassī passasissāmī ti sikkhati,
he trains like this: contemplating impermanence I will breathe out,

virāgānupassī assasissāmī ti sikkhati,
he trains like this: contemplating dispassion I will breathe in,

virāgānupassī passasissāmī ti sikkhati,
he trains like this: contemplating dispassion I will breathe out,

nirodhānupassī assasissāmī ti sikkhati,
he trains like this: contemplating cessation I will breathe in,

nirodhānupassī passasissāmī ti sikkhati,
he trains like this: contemplating cessation I will breathe out,

paṭinissaggānupassī assasissāmī ti sikkhati,
he trains like this: contemplating letting go I will breathe in,

paṭinissaggānupassī passasissāmī ti sikkhati.
he trains like this: contemplating letting go I will breathe out.

Ayaṁ vuccat' Ānanda ānāpānasati.
This, Ānanda, is mindfulness while breathing.

Sace kho tvaṁ Ānanda Girimānandassa bhikkhuno upasaṅkamitvā,
If you, Ānanda, having approached the monk Girimānanda,

imā dasasaññā bhāseyyāsi, ṭhānaṁ kho panetaṁ vijjati yaṁ
were to recite these ten percpetions, then it is possible that

Girimānandassa bhikkhuno imā dasasaññā sutvā
having heard these ten perceptions, the monk Girimānanda's

so ābādho ṭhānaso paṭippassambheyyā” ti.
affliction would immediately abate.”

Atha kho āyasmā Ānando Bhagavato santike imā dasasaññā uggahetvā,
Then venerable Ānanda, having learned these ten perceptions from the Gracious One,

yenāyasmā Girimānando tenupasaṅkami,
approached venerable Girimānanda,

upasaṅkamitvā āyasmato Girimānandassa imā dasasaññā abhāsi.
and after approaching he recited these ten perceptions to venerable Girimānanda.

Atha kho āyasmato Girimānandassa imā dasasaññā sutvā
Then, having heard these ten perceptions, venerable Girimānanda's

so ābādho ṭhānaso paṭippassambhi,
afliction immediately abated,

vuṭṭhāhi cāyasmā Girimānando tamhā ābādhā,
and venerable Girimānanda recovered from that affliction,

tathā pahīno ca panāyasmato Girimānandassa so ābādho ahosī ti.
and by that venerable Girimānanda's affliction was brought to an end.

[From http://www.ancient-buddhist-texts.net/T ... ram-20.htm]
starter

Post by starter »

starter wrote:Hi I listened to the 16 steps several times today and realized that ... 4th tetrad (contemplation of the Dhamma) seems to mean experiencing/contemplating anicca/fading away/cessation/relinquishment of every in-breath and out-breath, instead of things other than breath.
Welcome your comments. Thanks and metta,
Starter
I'd like to correct myself and share my updated understanding on the 4th tetrad. The contemplation of Dhammas is actually the same in MN 118 and MN 64:

1) Contemplate anicca/dukkha/anatta of the five aggregates [involved in the jhana].
2) Contemplate dispassion and disenchantment towards the five aggregates [and the jhana].
3) Contemplate cessation [of attachment to the five aggregates and the jhana, and the cessation of greed/aversion/delusion].
4) Contemplate Nibbana.

More relevant discussions can be found in the following thread:

Anapanasati Vs. jhana
http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.ph ... 43#p301643

Metta to all! :anjali:
alan

Post by alan »

Without a basis of strong concentration, none of this will be of any value. If you have it, anything can serve as a meditative object--just observe. Things will arise and fall away. They aren't solid; they are not yourself.
Mkoll

Post by Mkoll »

alan wrote:Without a basis of strong concentration, none of this will be of any value.
Depends on your definition of "strong concentration".
AN 4.170 wrote:On one occasion Ven. Ananda was staying in Kosambi, at Ghosita's monastery. There he addressed the monks, "Friends!"

"Yes, friend," the monks responded.

Ven. Ananda said: "Friends, whoever — monk or nun — declares the attainment of arahantship in my presence, they all do it by means of one or another of four paths. Which four?

"There is the case where a monk has developed insight preceded by tranquillity. As he develops insight preceded by tranquillity, the path is born. He follows that path, develops it, pursues it. As he follows the path, developing it & pursuing it — his fetters are abandoned, his obsessions destroyed.

"Then there is the case where a monk has developed tranquillity preceded by insight. As he develops tranquillity preceded by insight, the path is born. He follows that path, develops it, pursues it. As he follows the path, developing it & pursuing it — his fetters are abandoned, his obsessions destroyed.

"Then there is the case where a monk has developed tranquillity in tandem with insight. As he develops tranquillity in tandem with insight, the path is born. He follows that path, develops it, pursues it. As he follows the path, developing it & pursuing it — his fetters are abandoned, his obsessions destroyed.

"Then there is the case where a monk's mind has its restlessness concerning the Dhamma [Comm: the corruptions of insight] well under control. There comes a time when his mind grows steady inwardly, settles down, and becomes unified & concentrated. In him the path is born. He follows that path, develops it, pursues it. As he follows the path, developing it & pursuing it — his fetters are abandoned, his obsessions destroyed.

"Whoever — monk or nun — declares the attainment of arahantship in my presence, they all do it by means of one or another of these four paths."
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa
Qianxi

Post by Qianxi »

Hello starter. I'll respond to the you of three years ago!
starter wrote:Indeed, the Agamas were introduced to and translated (around end 300 A.C.) in China well before Mahayana.
Actually Mahayana texts had been translated into Chinese since about 150 AD. It wasnt until 250 years later around 400 AD that within the space of a few decades several complete Agama collections and complete vinayas were translated.
starter wrote:One could argue that the Buddha taught the contemplation of anicca as bare attention of the phenomena of arising and passing away with regard to the body, feelings, mind and the Dhamma in the Satipatthana Sutta (MN 10 and DN 22), but such anicca contemplations are not found in the early Chinese agama versions of the equivalent suttas.
There's an interesting recent book comparing different versions of the Satipatthana Sutta called "Perspectives on Satipatthana" by Bhikkhu Analayo.
It's true that the refrain after each contemplation in the Majjhima Nikaya mentions arising and passing away and the refrain in the Madhyama Agama does not. However the refrain in the Ekottarika Agama, another Chinese agama collection, does mention arising and passing away. Analayo then looks at various versions of the Anapanasati Sutta and comes to the conclusion that contemplation of impermanence is a key part of Satipatthana practice, and its absence from the Madhyama Agama version should not be given too much weight.

I'll copy out Analayo's translations of the what he calls the 'refrain' from the three versions of the Satipatthana Sutta. This is the refrain after the contemplation of feelings.

Majjhima Nikaya:
In regard to feelings one abides contemplating feelings internally ... externally ... internally and externally.
Or one abides contemplating the nature of arising ... the nature of passing away ... the nature of arising and passing away in feelings.
Or mindfulness that "there is feeling" is established in oneself just for the sake of bare knowledge and for the sake of continuous mindfulness. And one abides independent, not clinging to anything in the world.
Madhyama Agama:
In this way ... one contemplates feelings as feelings internally and ... externally. One establishes mindfulness in feelings and is endowed with knowledge, vision, understanding, and penetration.
Ekottarika Agama:
One [contemplates] their nature of arising ... of ceasing ... of arising and ceasing ...
Further, one is able to know and able to see that these are feelings that manifest here and now, giving attention to their origination. Not depending on anything, one experiences joy in oneself [by removing evil thoughts and being free from worry and sorrow], not arousing worldly perceptions.
Herein one is also not agitated, and because of not being agitated one attains Nirvana, knowing as it really is that "birth and death have been extinguished, the holy life has been established, what had to be done has been done, there is no more experiencing of [another] existence."
In this way ... one contemplates one's own feelings internally, discarding distracted thoughts and [experiencing joy in oneself by removing evil thoughts and] being free from worry and sorrow ... externally ... internally and externally ...
Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

alan wrote:Without a basis of strong concentration, none of this will be of any value. If you have it, anything can serve as a meditative object--just observe. Things will arise and fall away. They aren't solid; they are not yourself.
I broadly agree, but what degree of samadhi do you think is required?
Buddha save me from new-agers!
alan

Post by alan »

Not Samadhi, concentration. It's the foundation of everything, and often underrated.