To be Buddhist you must accept kamma and rebirth?

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?

To be Buddhist you must accept kamma and rebirth?

Yes
58%
No
32%
Not Sure
10%

Total votes: 62

pink_trike

Re: To be Buddhist you must accept kamma and rebirth?

Post by pink_trike »

There is this world & the next world.
The use of the phrase "next world" in the context of rebirth triggers scholarly alarm bells. In nearly all premodern cultures, the phrase "next world" meant something very specific in cosmology that had nothing to do with literal rebirth of an individual.
Vision is Mind
Mind is Empty
Emptiness is Clear Light
Clear Light is Union
Union is Great Bliss

- Dawa Gyaltsen

---

Disclaimer: I'm a non-religious practitioner of Theravada, Mahayana/Vajrayana, and Tibetan Bon Dzogchen mind-training.
AdvaitaJ

Post by AdvaitaJ »

I'll confess to being one of the two (so far) "Not Sure"s. I'm too new to Buddhism to know if the belief is necessary to self-proclaim as a Buddhist or not.

My rookie view is that Buddhism is a path. The Buddha walked the entire thing and mapped it out for the rest of us. That map is the Dhamma. There are others who are right now walking the same path. Some are farther along than others. This is the Sangha. What I do know is that the map is spot-on for the distance I've traveled thus far. Do this, go here, and you'll find "x" and lo and behold, there's "x" right where it's supposed to be. This gives me confidence in the map, but not complete faith.

In my current understanding of "everything", there is no way I can fathom for rebirth to be possible. Without rebirth, the effects of kamma upon me personally are restricted to this life. And, for the moment, that's all I need to keep walking the path. Anatta is starting to reveal itself and that's enough for me to deal with right now.

So, if someone were to ask me if I'm a Buddhist, my answer is 'I'm working on it.'

Regards: AdvaitaJ
Last edited by AdvaitaJ on Sat Mar 28, 2009 1:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
The birds have vanished down the sky. Now the last cloud drains away.
We sit together, the mountain and me, until only the mountain remains.
Li Bai
pink_trike

Post by pink_trike »

Peter wrote:The "don't know" taught by the Buddha is this: I don't know if the teachings are true or false. I do not know if they lead where they say they lead. I will put them into practice and see for myself if they are true, if they lead where they say they lead.

The specific teaching in question in this thread is: The way to the ending of suffering is the Noble Eightfold Path. Right View is part of the Noble Eightfold Path. Kamma and rebirth are part of Right View.

And so our "don't know" is: Is adopting the view of kamma and rebirth a part of the path to ending suffering? Is holding the view there is no kamma and rebirth an obstacle to ending suffering?
This is just another stating of a dualistic view [Kamma/rebirth = yes? kamma/rebirth = no? - "I don't know which to choose"] which is certainly an "I don't know", but it has nothing to do with the "I don't know" that I'm referring to...which is "maybe, neither, both, none...I don't know". Not rejection. Not acceptance. Nothing in between the two.

BTW, I have no problem with Kamma - it is evident in all aspects of phenomenal appearances and it is easy to see how it extends beyond the borders of this life and ripples throughout the lives of all beings past/present/future.
Vision is Mind
Mind is Empty
Emptiness is Clear Light
Clear Light is Union
Union is Great Bliss

- Dawa Gyaltsen

---

Disclaimer: I'm a non-religious practitioner of Theravada, Mahayana/Vajrayana, and Tibetan Bon Dzogchen mind-training.
kc2dpt

Post by kc2dpt »

clw_uk wrote:So couldnt it be said that one needs such view to begin, but to reach nibbana it needs to be let go of because its inherently tainted with sensual desire, being and ignorance which hold one back from nibbana?
In short: no. This view has already been addressed quite thoroughly in another thread.
- Peter

Be heedful and you will accomplish your goal.
kc2dpt

Post by kc2dpt »

pink_trike wrote:BTW, I have no problem with Kamma - it is evident in all aspects of phenomenal appearances and it is easy to see how it extends beyond the borders of this life and ripples throughout the lives of all beings past/present/future.
I'm not sure if the above accurately reflects the Buddhist teachings on kamma, but that's a topic for another thread.
- Peter

kc2dpt

Post by kc2dpt »

pink_trike wrote:The use of the phrase "next world" in the context of rebirth triggers scholarly alarm bells. In nearly all premodern cultures, the phrase "next world" meant something very specific...
And that is?
- Peter

kc2dpt

Post by kc2dpt »

pink_trike wrote:
peter wrote:There will be times when you will have to make decisions which will be influenced by what view you hold about what happens when we die.
Specifically?
A common example is euthanasia. In discussions on what is the right thing to do with a terminally ill and in pain relative it becomes very clear how one's view on rebirth affects one's decision making.
peter wrote:Some take it on faith that it is all the word of Jesu...er, the Buddha. "Buddha said it, its in the Canon, I believe it"...to paraphrase a popular xtian phrase.
Still missing the point.
I read the suttas, and see if practice confirms them. If practice confirms, then I have faith in what is confirmed.
If one does not adopt right view, can one be said to be practicing in accordance with the suttas? Does it make sense to call someone a Buddhist if they knowingly leave out large chunks of Buddhist teachings?
- Peter

pink_trike

Post by pink_trike »

Peter wrote:
pink_trike wrote:BTW, I have no problem with Kamma - it is evident in all aspects of phenomenal appearances and it is easy to see how it extends beyond the borders of this life and ripples throughout the lives of all beings past/present/future.
I'm not sure if the above accurately reflects the Buddhist teachings on kamma,

but that's a topic for another thread.
I agree.

I agree.
Vision is Mind
Mind is Empty
Emptiness is Clear Light
Clear Light is Union
Union is Great Bliss

- Dawa Gyaltsen

---

mudra

Post by mudra »

I voted yes, and in my mind probably pretty emphatically.

One is free to think and do whatever one wants, as long one is ready to accept whatever consequences there are.

However if one devotes oneself to a particular system to the point of identifying with it and 'joining the system' in order to get the results which one is convinced the system will lead to, then that changes things - at least from the perspective of the system being effective or not for you to get the promised results.

To be Buddhist, as has been pointed out above, means to have such complete confidence in the Buddha, the Dharma, and the Sangha that one takes refuge in the Three Jewels. By taking refuge it doesn't imply hiding or simply being protected in a passive sense, it means that we take steps and measures in accordance with the Buddha's system outlined. The Buddha was most clear about cause and effect - whether related to karma or other forces. He was also pretty clear about the nature of mind as being something which has it's own dynamic, which in turn has a bearing on our happiness.

The fact that a Buddhist gets hung up about the "person/self" literally being reborn and not understanding it is merely a continuum of mind is more indicative of the lack of study, reflection and meditation than a case of not being able to prove something empirically.

As has been pointed out above, faith is an important ingredient, and again when the Buddha asks us to investigate his teachings it isn't about determining whether they were true or not but more about 'why' they are true - developing greater conviction, which in turn leads to better results.

If you don't believe in an ongoing mental continuum, if you don't have any conviction about cause and effect, that's ok - but this system is not for you. The whole structure of Buddhism is based on cause and effect (4NT, 8FP) and the ongoing mental continuum.

Meanwhile if one wants to continue investigate, what harm is there in that?

:thinking:
pink_trike

Post by pink_trike »

mudra wrote:I voted yes, and in my mind probably pretty emphatically.

it isn't about determining whether they were true or not but more about 'why' they are true - developing greater conviction, which in turn leads to better results.
This is a religious perspective that is common to all religions.This same exact belief is central to evangelical, southern baptist, and catholic christianity, and Islam. It strikes me as infantilizing, and overly reliant on a "savior".
Vision is Mind
Mind is Empty
Emptiness is Clear Light
Clear Light is Union
Union is Great Bliss

- Dawa Gyaltsen

---

tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

pink_trike wrote:

it isn't about determining whether they were true or not but more about 'why' they are true - developing greater conviction, which in turn leads to better results.
This is a religious perspective that is common to all religions.This same exact belief is central to evangelical, southern baptist, and catholic christianity, and Islam. It strikes me as infantilizing, and overly reliant on a "savior".
Harshly stated, but I do not disagree.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
cooran

Post by cooran »

Hello all,

On the topic of "To be Buddhist you must accept kamma and rebirth?":

To me, it's quite simple. I hold that, if, after studying the Teachings, practising sila and meditation, and discussing with other buddhists, for a long time, - you find you have proven that much of what the Buddha teaches is true - but cannot produce irrefutable proof of kamma and rebirth - then simply set them aside and live "as if" they are true, as everything else you have tested has been found to be. This is what saddha is to me - confidence in the teachings of the Buddha because of what I have found to be true, and acceptance of things which he also teaches which are not provable at my present level of understanding.
These links may be of interest:
Dhamma Without Rebirth? by Bhikkhu Bodhi
In line with the present-day stress on the need for religious teachings to be personally relevant and directly verifiable, in certain Dhamma circles the time-honored Buddhist doctrine of rebirth has come up for severe re-examination. Although only a few contemporary Buddhist thinkers still go so far as to suggest that this doctrine be scrapped as "unscientific," another opinion has been gaining ground to the effect that whether or not rebirth itself be a fact, the doctrine of rebirth has no essential bearings on the practice of Dhamma and thence no claim to an assured place in the Buddhist teachings. The Dhamma, it is said, is concerned solely with the here and now, with helping us to resolve our personal hangups through increased self-awareness and inner honesty. All the rest of Buddhism we can now let go as the religious trappings of an ancient culture utterly inappropriate for the Dhamma of our technological age.
If we suspend our own predilections for the moment and instead go directly to our sources, we come upon the indisputable fact that the Buddha himself taught rebirth and taught it as a basic tenet of his teaching. Viewed in their totality, the Buddha's discourses show us that far from being a mere concession to the outlook prevalent in his time or an Asiatic cultural contrivance, the doctrine of rebirth has tremendous implications for the entire course of Dhamma practice, affecting both the aim with which the practice is taken up and the motivation with which it is followed through to completion.
http://www.dharmaweb.org/index.php/Dham ... kkhu_Bodhi" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and, if after investigation, study and practice you feel that kamma and rebirth are not true - then set Buddhism aside and find a path elsewhere.

Does Rebirth Make Sense? by Bhikkhu Bodhi
The Buddha includes belief in rebirth and kamma in his definition of right view, and their explicit denial in wrong view.
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/auth ... ay_46.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

Greetings

Craig - So couldnt it be said that one needs such view to begin, but to reach nibbana it needs to be let go of because its inherently tainted with sensual desire, being and ignorance which hold one back from nibbana?

Peter - In short: no. This view has already been addressed quite thoroughly in another thread.

It was but i wasnt completely satisfied with the answers

The Buddha states rebirth view is right view but it is tainted with ignorance, sensual desire and being (all things that will prevent one from reaching nibbana).

None of the Arahants had taints, so they had no view at all of rebirth

So why then would the Buddha state such a tainted view was right? My only answer is because it sets one on the path with right thinking, intentions and conduct etc, however eventualy Rebirth View needs to be gotten rid of, abdandoned and seen for what it is, a tainted view.

If a view is tainted with sensual desire, being and ignorance (i.e. rebirth view) then to hold to it will not clear one of the taints

I know the argument is that its the "person" who is tainted and not the view itself which is true but take for example an annihilationist, this view comes to be because of the individuals taints (his desire for sensuality, sense of being and ignorance), the same with rebirth view.

Saying one can remove the taints and still hold a view of rebirth is impossible, thats the same as saying that if an annihilationist removes taints he can still be an annihilationist, which is impossible since if that were to happen he wouldnt be an annihilationist

What im saying is that rebirth view is tainted with ignorance etc, when one removes the taints then there will be no rebirth view anymore

Therefore if one is to reach nibbana, all taints are to be removed, which then means removing rebirth view completely

So in conclusion, i see rebirth as needed to begin the path (so i would say one needs to accept it) and then through practice one removes all the taints which then removes rebirth view

Metta
Last edited by Ceisiwr on Sat Mar 28, 2009 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”
kc2dpt

Post by kc2dpt »

Chris wrote:live "as if" they are true
This, to me, neatly encapsulates what it really means to practice Right View. It's not about blindly believing something, it's not about giving up choice or closing one's mind. It is about choosing to do something (adopt a view) because you have faith in the one who has advised you to do so.
...as everything else you have tested has been found to be.
And this is why one has that faith.
This is what saddha is to me - confidence in the teachings of the Buddha because of what I have found to be true, and acceptance of things which he also teaches which are not provable at my present level of understanding.
Rather than "acceptance", I would say "willingness to try".

One who is not willing to try the Buddha's teachings regarding Right View seems to me has not yet taken refuge in the Triple Gem. This is why "don't know" misses the point. Most of us here don't know whether rebirth is true. I'd wager most Buddhist past and present don't know either. Knowing is not the point. The point is willingness to adopt the view which the Buddha teaches is part of the path to liberation. If you don't know whether you are willing to adopt that view then you haven't adopted it.
- Peter

mudra

Post by mudra »

tiltbillings wrote:
pink_trike wrote:

Harshly stated, but I do not disagree.
I am not asking you both to agree with me, but conveniently sidestepping the lines between those of mine that you quoted is not exactly in the spirit of a non-evangelical, non-infantilizing clear thinking approach. It could almost be categorized as a cheap shot.

The question asked by the OP was whether accepting kamma and rebirth was necessary for Buddhists. I never stated in my post that everyone (i.e. non Buddhists) has to believe in this, that would be the evangelical approach, the infantilizing approach. You completely ignore the fact that I stated that people are free to believe what they want etc.

Plus you quote the line out of context, which is the fact that if one opts for a system then one works with the system the way it was designed. This is not necessarily infantilizing, nor is it relying on a savior. There is a clear assumption that one has done one's preliminary investigation (and eliminating selection) before becoming a buddhist.

I quote myself (please forgive me):
If you don't believe in an ongoing mental continuum, if you don't have any conviction about cause and effect, that's ok - but this system is not for you. The whole structure of Buddhism is based on cause and effect (4NT, 8FP) and the ongoing mental continuum.

Meanwhile if one wants to continue investigate, what harm is there in that?
if you don't want to accept kamma and rebirth, fine. explore Buddhism further to your hearts content before making any decisions about refuge. It is much healthier that way than to take refuge and then to be caught up in kleshic doubt.

Don't kid yourself, you can't have your cake and eat it too. In the case that you don't accept these two points at any level, you are still outside the system, and not engaged.