Incense - Yes or No

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
retrofuturist

Incense - Yes or No

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

I was just wondering if people use incense and under what circumstances and for what purposes they would use it?

I don't use it often, mainly because I don't see the need and because my wife doesn't like it. I did however get a small packet of Japanese incense the other day and it's actually quite nice. Better than the stuff from the $2 shop.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Cittasanto

Re: Incense - Yes or No

Post by Cittasanto »

yes but only as a room fragrances! not for anything else
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
appicchato

Post by appicchato »

It's an intregal part of the program where I am (in a wat in Thailand)...it is lit before every ceremony going, usually three sticks (a single stick at a funeral) , both communally and individualy...all the time...to represent (I believe) the Triple Gem....it's nice, as mentioned, for the fragrance, and also works well on the mosquitos... :lol:

Be well... ;)
jcsuperstar

Post by jcsuperstar »

i use it as a meditation timer... a hold over from my zen days...
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings venerable Appicchato,

Oh yes, I forgot to include that when I go for meditation at lunchtime at a nearby Mahayana temple I offer a stick of incense to the Buddha.

JC ~ Yes, I've used it for that purpose before too... I must have heard a Zen practitioner mention it and thought it sounded like a sensible idea.

Metta,
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Fede

Post by Fede »

In a household where life revolves around the studious activity of the Alpha male round here (! :D ) I rarely get the opportunity for quiet time, as I work full time (lately, for the past 2 months or so, it's been a six - occasionally 7 - day-week for me!) So any time I get for quiet reflection, introspection and meditation has been a bit like rocking horse droppings.

I find therefore, if I get a moment to light an incence stick, the fragrance helps to keep me focussed and centred, as I go about whatever daily task I'm doing. Usually a domestic necessity.
"Samsara: The human condition's heartbreaking inability to sustain contentment." Elizabeth Gilbert, 'Eat, Pray, Love'.

Simplify: 17 into 1 WILL go: Mindfulness!

Quieta movere magna merces videbatur. (Sallust, c.86-c.35 BC)
Translation: Just to stir things up seemed a good reward in itself. ;)

I am sooooo happy - How on earth could I be otherwise?! :D

http://www.armchairadvice.co.uk/relationships/forum/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ben

Post by Ben »

Actually, I don't use incense other than as a room fragrance, and incense gets used in this household regularly for that purpose.
I've noted some friends who practice zazen also use incense as a meditation timer which I think is neat.
Kind regards

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Jason

Post by Jason »

Retro,

No, I don't really like the smell. I will use some when I visit temples, but even then, not very often.

Jason
"Sabbe dhamma nalam abhinivesaya" (AN 7.58).

leaves in the hand (Buddhist-related blog)
leaves in the forest (non-Buddhist related blog)
KeithBC

Post by KeithBC »

Smell is the sense most closely linked to memory. My experience is that, if one always has incense for meditation, then the smell of incense can trigger recollection of meditation. I find this useful when my mind wanders: one good whiff and I remember what I am there for!

Om mani padme hum
Keith
Placid-pool

Post by Placid-pool »

All the time - as a purification and a centraliser. I am an incense nut. :shock:
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Keith,

That's a good point... I have a similar response.

Metta,
GrahamR

Incense - Yes or No

Post by GrahamR »

Hi

I read not so long ago that incense is just as carcinogenic as cigarette smoke, so we don't use it in the house any more, just outside!

Graham
With metta :bow:
Graham
thecap

Post by thecap »

[x] room fragrance
[ ] ritualistic purpose

Sandalwood is nice...
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

I like incense, but heard or read somewhere once that the smoke can be almost as bad as second-hand smoke from cigarettes. Anyone know about the science of that?

So since then, I only light incense when I am leading a group at my place or when the monks come over.
GrahamR

Post by GrahamR »

I really wouldn't use them indoors!

'Burning joss sticks 'as deadly as traffic fumes or cigarette smoke'

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008/jul/30/health" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Graham