after the cardiologist's visit

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.
sattva

after the cardiologist's visit

Post by sattva »

i was at the cardiologist's office yesterday to get the results from an echocardiogram and a pharmaceutically induced stress test. The echocardiogram showed a low normal functioning. The stress test indicated that i may have had a silent heart attack in the past. This may be what has been causing many of my health problems. I have a diagnosis of congestive heart failure an am on quite a few medications. Next, i will have done a cardiac catheterization which should confirm whether i have had a heart attack and which may lead to other sugery.

I am questioning in my own mind whether i should make any major changes to my diet. I haven't eaten meat in about 25 years (i know, how ironic!), but i do eat dairy, ---love dairy. I have allergies am am already restricted in what i can and cannot eat (like eggs), but i am thinking of going vegan, following basic macrobiotic principles, or trying to incorporate more raw foods into my diet. I do believe that a more natural whole diet is better and even though i haven't been eating meat, i am only sporadic in eating truly healthy.

Have you or anyone you know tried any of these diets and had good results as far as blood pressure, cholesterol, and basic overall heart health? Thanks in advance for your replies! :anjali:
http://www.chatzy.com/25904628501622
bodom

Re: after the cardiologist's visit

Post by bodom »

I am questioning in my own mind whether i should make any major changes to my diet...
What did your cardiologist say? I don't think its wise to make any major changes without consulting them first.

:anjali:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
sattva

Post by sattva »

Last edited by sattva on Sat May 14, 2011 6:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bodom

Post by bodom »

sattva wrote:Bodom, he didn't mention food at all. He just told me the results of the testing and informed me about the next procedure. I should receive a call sometime this week giving me a date and time for the cardiac cath. One of the reasons i want to change me diet is to be able to reduce the amount of medications i am taking. Already, my kidneys are being affected by them.
I'm no expert on the matter, but personally I would wait to speak to your doctor before making any major changes. Hope everything goes well for you! Keep us posted.

Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

I have had good luck with a mostly vegan diet. My blood pressure is normal and my cholesterol levels are always well below 190.

It is sort of a myth that all vegetarians are healthy because although it can be very healthy to eat vegetarian, if a vegetarian includes too much junk food, bad drinks, eggs and dairy, the health numbers can still be as bad as an omnivore's or worse.

I would try out a more vegan diet and see how you like it. If you still like dairy and eggs, perhaps you could limit it somewhat to once or twice a week or on special occasions. But of course take advice from your physician too.

I also exercise which can be a big help too, for lowering cholesterol, increasing the 'good' cholesterol, making the heart more efficient, etc.
sattva

Post by sattva »

Thanks Bodom and David. I do plan on talking to my doctors before making any major changes, but i will discuss alternatives to just using medications. My kidneys are already experiencing a reduced functioning because of some of my current medications. So, if i can reduce the meds, it may be helpful.

I didn't have any health problems till about 50. I am now 57. My mom had heart and cholesterol problems and my dad, who will be 92 in a few weeks (and walk circles around me) takes medication for high blood pressure and cholesterol. Unfortunately, some of this may be inherited, but without healthcare till just recently, i could only rarely see a doctor. This probably did not help me maintain the degree of health that my parents had. Besides that, i have not eaten well and have eaten too much at various times in my life. Anyway, i am trying to be on top of things now that i have healthcare. Not sure if i will be able to come back in any meaningful way, but i hope that i can stop or slow down the deterioration.

By the way, i read somewhere yesterday that your arteries often start to lose their elasticity after the age of 50. So those of you who are near or over that age, keep up on how your blood pressure and cholesterol are doing, even if they have been fine in the past.

Lastly, i am okay where it matters right now (frame of mind) and that is most important. Nothing like a visit to the cardiologist to put everything else in perspective :)
Justsit

Post by Justsit »

David brought up a good point regarding exercise. Healthy diet alone will not produce significant results, some regular aerobic exercise is needed as well, even if nothing more than a brisk walk a few times a week. And try some yoga. Doesn't matter how you look in class, just go, maybe try a class at a less trendy-type place, like the Y. or your local parks and recreation department. Yoga will open up blood vessels, keep bowels open, help balance, keep joints moving - it's great. Again, just do what you can do, you won't be able to copy Rodney Yee! Another wonderful helpful practice is Tai-Chi, done by all age groups. Check with your doc first, of course, but try not to get too caught up in the "let's throw pills and surgery at it" mentality. Start slowly , increase gradually, you will see good results.
Good luck!
Justsit
Traveler

Post by Traveler »

Well I can say I've been there, had a heart attack 4 years ago and of course all my numbers were thur the roof including my sugar. Yes diet and exercise is the answer. Im very mindful of what I put in my mouth and what are the benefits. Remember that animal fat "CLOGS". with a good healthy diet you can reduce your numbers dramaticlly and live a normal life.
Jhana4

Post by Jhana4 »

sattva wrote: I am questioning in my own mind whether i should make any major changes to my diet. I haven't eaten meat in about 25 years (i know, how ironic!), but i do eat dairy, ---love dairy.
From a health standpoint, dairy products can be as bad or worse than meat ( loads of saturated fat ) as far as clogging arteries go.

Dr. Dean Ornish's diet has been clinically proven to reduce arterial plaque. Many of his book are probably already in your local library.

You might also enjoy this book by a former surgeon who proceeded Ornish
http://www.amazon.com/Prevent-Reverse-H ... 920&sr=8-1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I've been a vegetarian since I was a teenager and a vegan since my late 20s. I'm the only person in my family without cardiovascular issues.
In reading the scriptures, there are two kinds of mistakes:
One mistake is to cling to the literal text and miss the inner principles.
The second mistake is to recognize the principles but not apply them to your own mind, so that you waste time and just make them into causes of entanglement.
fig tree

Post by fig tree »

bodom wrote:
sattva wrote:Bodom, he didn't mention food at all. He just told me the results of the testing and informed me about the next procedure. I should receive a call sometime this week giving me a date and time for the cardiac cath. One of the reasons i want to change me diet is to be able to reduce the amount of medications i am taking. Already, my kidneys are being affected by them.
I'm no expert on the matter, but personally I would wait to speak to your doctor before making any major changes. Hope everything goes well for you! Keep us posted.
I called sattva and she says that her internet connection has gone down, perhaps because of a thunderstorm causing damage somewhere. She is scheduled to have the cardiac catheterization on Tuesday. My understanding is that the risks from such a procedure are not too severe, but she feels nervous about it. She would like to ask for your prayers.

May we all be of good health.

Fig Tree
fig tree

Post by fig tree »

Today Sattva had the catheterization, which itself went smoothly but revealed a lot of blockage. Her doctors are planning with her to do quadruple bypass surgery soon. On Monday she might have a date scheduled to have it done.

Fig Tree
Reductor

Post by Reductor »

I hope that all goes well for her. Certainly it is a most unfortunate development of health and it'll be good when she's on her feet again.

:heart:
plwk

Post by plwk »

cooran

Post by cooran »

Dear Sattva,

May you be safe and protected,
may you be healthy and strong,
may you be happy of heart and mind,
may you live with ease and well-being.

with metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

The good news is that while not down playing the physical and emotional impact of these type of procedures, they have become pretty much routine and are now pretty safe. Hope it all goes/went well..