Theravadin Resource guide

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism

Re: Theravadin Resource guide

Postby retrofuturist » Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:23 am

Greetings Blackbird,

Thanks... and I've since updated Google Saffron based on this list now.

And if you want to list Google Saffron... http://www.google.com/cse/home?cx=00545 ... cbjbznmwso

Metta,
Retro. :)
If you have asked me of the origination of unease, then I shall explain it to you in accordance with my understanding:
Whatever various forms of unease there are in the world, They originate founded in encumbering accumulation. (Pārāyanavagga)

Exalted in mind, just open and clearly aware, the recluse trained in the ways of the sages:
One who is such, calmed and ever mindful, He has no sorrows! -- Udana IV, 7

Dharma Wheel (Mahayana / Vajrayana forum) -- Open flower ~ Open book (blog)
retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby BlackBird » Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:28 am

Hi Retro, sure thing. I am wondering if we could sort out a domain name host for Google Saffron? I would be more than happy to contribute to any costs involved, or alternatively, there are free domains such as .co.nr

metta
Jack :heart:
"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." - MN. 70 Kitagiri Sutta
BlackBird

Postby Glenn » Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:35 am

For those who own an iPhone/iPod Touch. Someone has made the offline version of Access to Insight website available at the iTunes store.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/access-to-insight-readings-in-theravada/id349225338?mt=8

Note: the link opens iTunes.
Glenn

Postby adept » Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:20 pm

Glenn wrote:For those who own an iPhone/iPod Touch. Someone has made the offline version of Access to Insight website available at the iTunes store.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/access-to-insight-readings-in-theravada/id349225338?mt=8

Note: the link opens iTunes.

This is a brilliant app. No need to lump books around with me when I'm at work or travelling.
:twothumbsup:
adept

Postby ando » Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:55 am

Hi all,

This is great stuff.

Could anyone recommend me a Theravadan mailing list that I can subscribe to that would "push" a daily snippet of a Buddhism teaching or quote to an e-mail address.

I spend a lot of time in the field and for a change, it would be nice to receive something useful on my blackberry every day instead of the spam I've been getting. Getting dhamma sayings on my phone would also be a great way to keep me reminded when I am on the move.

Thanks!
ando

Postby retrofuturist » Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:59 am

Greetings Ando,

I think you can get Bhikkhu Samahita's Daily Drops of Dhamma sent as a daily e-mail.

Metta,
If you have asked me of the origination of unease, then I shall explain it to you in accordance with my understanding:
Whatever various forms of unease there are in the world, They originate founded in encumbering accumulation. (Pārāyanavagga)

Exalted in mind, just open and clearly aware, the recluse trained in the ways of the sages:

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby appicchato » Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:28 am

Thank you Glenn... :thumbsup:

There's also an iPhone app with the 2010 Uposatha calendar...all in a single window...handy...

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/ptf/dham ... a2010.html
appicchato

Postby ando » Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:56 am

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings Ando,

I think you can get Bhikkhu Samahita's Daily Drops of Dhamma sent as a daily e-mail.

Metta,

Hi Retro,

Google gave me a bunch of links on Bhikku Samahita's Daily Dhamma Dops but none of the sites seemed to offer a daily e-mail option. Most are forums like this one. Or maybe I missed it somehow. Would you happen to have URL? Thanks a bunch!
ando

Postby ando » Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:22 am

Hi friends,

I found the link for the Daily Dhamma E-mail at this site (I presume it is the one operated by Bhikku Samahita), except that it is not an email facility. It is an RSS feed which is updated daily. It is as good as an e-mail feed. To receive the daily dhamma drop click here to get the feed loaded to your RSS reader and set it to refresh daily.

Thanks.
ando

Postby mikenz66 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:09 am

You can get a daily mail by signing up here:
http://groups.google.com/group/Buddha-Direct?hl=en

Mike
mikenz66

Postby ando » Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:25 am

mikenz66 wrote:You can get a daily mail by signing up here:
http://groups.google.com/group/Buddha-Direct?hl=en

Mike

Hi Mike,

Your link contains exactly the same contents as my link. In fact both links appear side by side on this page.

We must be on the right track then. :D
ando

Postby mikenz66 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:30 am

Yes, but by signing up to the Google Group it is possible to get the Dhamma Drops as emails, rather than by RSS...

Mike
mikenz66

Postby ando » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:30 pm

mikenz66 wrote:Yes, but by signing up to the Google Group it is possible to get the Dhamma Drops as emails, rather than by RSS...

Mike

That's great. For some odd reason my Android phone doesn't seem to recognize Bhikkhu Samahita's RSS feed so you've given me a good reason to sign up. Thanks!
ando

Postby BlackBird » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:16 pm

Will update this today. Figured it's been long enough.

metta
Jack
"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." - MN. 70 Kitagiri Sutta
BlackBird

Postby BlackBird » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:01 am

Well, a few days down the track and there's finally an update. I added a list of important Dhamma Wheel discussions. I've got a few more resources pegged in my mind to add here and will endevour to get that done today too, but given my track record I wouldn't count on it.

As I am leaving in 4 days, I will be unable to put much time into this, so I wonder if it is possible for our moderation team to edit the original post with new resources as they become available?

metta
Jack
BlackBird

Postby retrofuturist » Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:12 am

Greetings Jack,

BlackBird wrote:As I am leaving in 4 days, I will be unable to put much time into this, so I wonder if it is possible for our moderation team to edit the original post with new resources as they become available?

Sure - no worries.

Metta,

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby mud » Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:51 am

Tipitaka and Discourse

http://pali.sirimangalo.org – Digital Pali Reader (addon for Firefox or Chrome)
Tipitaka with word dictionary to help Pali student, including links to translations of suttas (very helpful)
mud

Postby icyteru » Sun May 22, 2011 1:21 am

my blog also theravada blog

http://realtruthlife.blogspot.com
The most complete english tipitaka on the internet world. http://realtruthlife.blogspot.com .
icyteru

Postby Stephen K » Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:39 am

You can add Geoff's http://measurelessmind.ca/
Stephen K

Postby BlackBird » Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:46 am

Better go through and do an update some day soon. It's long over due.
BlackBird

PreviousNext

Return to General Theravāda discussion