Cessation's permanence

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
acinteyyo

Re: Cessation's permanence

Post by acinteyyo »

Akuma wrote:the examples given by chownah, accinteyo and Nibbida all are based on the idea that the state of the arya is based on his remembrance of past experiences.
Hi Akuma,

with respect to my given example it is not based on remembrance of past experiences at all. This is in fact the important point to understand. It is about knowing in the here and now, by directly seeing things as they are here and now. Not by remembering any experience in the past. That's why it is irreversible. The ability to remember past experiences could get lost but when a point has reached once, where one penetrated delusion to some degree, the knowledge by directly seeing things clearer here and now is irreversible. No need to remember this particular experience of the past again, because it is always known directly here and now by seeing it clearly here and now.

best wishes, acinteyyo
Thag 1.20. Ajita - I do not fear death; nor do I long for life. I’ll lay down this body, aware and mindful.
Akuma

Post by Akuma »

TMingyur wrote: Only if one erroneously assumes that "the relativity of concepts" can be logically grasped which actually is impossible because whereas "relativity as such" can be logically grasped "the relativity of a meaning qua meaning" is not accessible to logical thought which is necessarily of binary nature.
Without judging this as true or untrue it is in any case using concepts inaccesible to Theravada since they were developed later.
tilt wrote: You appear to be widely read in Theravadin and other Buddhist stuff, but I wonder what your actual quesation is here?
Im wondering that about yours, too now, since my question is in the OP and clear enough. But if you want me to elaborate a bit more then I could split it into a purely buddhological / philosophical and a personal thing. The first would be that since it seems that Buddhisms core-doctrines were really questioned only to much over a thousand years after the Buddha and - afaik - the doctrine of Nirvana was weirdly ignored completely. As stated before you can find proof for rebirth f.e. but not for Nirvana. So I was wondering if Theravada was ever confronted with critical inquiry and could answer at all from the their viewpoint.
The second thing is purely personal since I would of course just like everyone else here be free from suffering. But so far Buddhist practice looks pretty much like a bunch of people who can neither explain what theyre aiming at exactly, nor technically define why it should work, how it should work nor give a functioning step-by-step guide how to reach it, altho they sure like to talk much about everything peripheral to it :P.
So as long as the core of all this is just imagination and belief - its all just wishful thinking. So the first step to check if this perception is correct is to question the mechanics of nibbana. And this starts with asking why the attainments are unshakeable naturally.
imaginos wrote: If it doesn't ring a bell to you, then forget about Theravada and move on to some other 'religions'.
Dhamma only rings a bell if a listener is ready (faculty wise).
So your reaction to my critical questions is an inapplicable example where you presuppose exactly what I'm questioning and then youre in addition indirectly insulting me? Youre doing a great job providing practical proof that not even gradual training has any visible positive effects here.
accinteyo wrote: Hi Akuma,

with respect to my given example it is not based on remembrance of past experiences at all. This is in fact the important point to understand. It is about knowing in the here and now, by directly seeing things as they are here and now. Not by remembering any experience in the past. That's why it is irreversible. The ability to remember past experiences could get lost but when a point has reached once, where one penetrated delusion to some degree, the knowledge by directly seeing things clearer here and now is irreversible. No need to remember this particular experience of the past again, because it is always known directly here and now by seeing it clearly here and now.
Good. What is different then in the setup of the mindstream of the arya as compared the the putthujana? The Sarvastivadins f.e. hold that the arya-santana actually appropriates certain dharmas that make him an arya. Do you know how Theravada explains if it does?
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Akuma wrote:or untrue it is in any case using concepts inaccesible to Theravada since they were developed later.
tilt wrote: You appear to be widely read in Theravadin and other Buddhist stuff, but I wonder what your actual question is here?
Im wondering that about yours, too now, since my question is in the OP and clear enough.
No, it is not.
But if you want me to elaborate a bit more then I could split it into a purely buddhological / philosophical and a personal thing. The first would be that since it seems that Buddhisms core-doctrines were really questioned only to much over a thousand years after the Buddha and - afaik - the doctrine of Nirvana was weirdly ignored completely. As stated before you can find proof for rebirth f.e. but not for Nirvana. So I was wondering if Theravada was ever confronted with critical inquiry and could answer at all from the their viewpoint.
Why would it matter?
The second thing is purely personal since I would of course just like everyone else here be free from suffering. But so far Buddhist practice looks pretty much like a bunch of people who can neither explain what theyre aiming at exactly, nor technically define why it should work, how it should work nor give a functioning step-by-step guide how to reach it, altho they sure like to talk much about everything peripheral to it.
And having some sort of pat intellectual explanation is going to matter?
So as long as the core of all this is just imagination and belief - its all just wishful thinking. So the first step to check if this perception is correct is to question the mechanics of nibbana. And this starts with asking why the attainments are unshakeable naturally.
So, one needs to construct an intellectual edifice before putting the teachings into practice. Why?
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
ground

Post by ground »

Akuma wrote:
TMingyur wrote: Only if one erroneously assumes that "the relativity of concepts" can be logically grasped which actually is impossible because whereas "relativity as such" can be logically grasped "the relativity of a meaning qua meaning" is not accessible to logical thought which is necessarily of binary nature.
Without judging this as true or untrue it is in any case using concepts inaccesible to Theravada since they were developed later.
Well yes, but your approach isn't accessible from within the sphere of Theravada either.

kind regards
Akuma

Post by Akuma »

tilt wrote: Why would it matter?
Searching for truth means lookin in all sorts of places. In addition I just find buddhist philosophy to be quite intruiging.
(...)
So, one needs to construct an intellectual edifice before putting the teachings into practice. Why?
Example. You want a specific object that you can only get in a specific city that is hidden somewhere. I am asking you as to your explanation why you think you can get this object in this city since I have my doubts that the city and the object exist at all. And your answer is "go to the city and get the object then you will see".
Concretely you are asking me to do what you have been unable to do yourself to prove to myself that which you cannot explain. So if you want to call reason an intellectual edifice then suit yourself.
Akuma

Post by Akuma »

TMingyur wrote: Well yes, but your approach isn't accessible from within the sphere of Theravada either.

kind regards
Yea this is what I thought at first too but I was unsure. And ehm - so far I am still unsure :P
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Akuma wrote:
tilt wrote: Why would it matter?
Searching for truth means lookin in all sorts of places. In addition I just find buddhist philosophy to be quite intruiging.
And for others Buddhist philosophy is a distraction. A mastery of such is not necessary for doing the practice.
(...)
Example. You want a specific object that you can only get in a specific city that is hidden somewhere. I am asking you as to your explanation why you think you can get this object in this city since I have my doubts that the city and the object exist at all.
The teachings provide a map that can be followed, but trying to analysis the map to see if it leads to were it says, is at best of limited value.
And your answer is "go to the city and get the object then you will see".
Concretely you are asking me to do what you have been unable to do yourself to prove to myself that which you cannot explain. So if you want to call reason an intellectual edifice then suit yourself.
I am not asking you to do anything, and if you want to pursue an analysis of the map, that is your choice.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
rowyourboat

Post by rowyourboat »

HI Akuma,

So you want the ending of suffering? ..and the way to do that is to get to this place called nibbana? ..and you have doubts about its permanency?

Seems reasonable, but it also seems to be wound up with an idea of having to get to someplace where the ending of suffering is seen. Theravada buddhism doesnt work like that.

In Theravada Buddhism we see the ending of suffering in this life, by understanding the full extent of suffering, by seeing the causes of that full spread of suffering, and by removing the cause(s) of that suffering .. in this very life. Nibbana expressed in a mundane way, is experienced in this very life. Your assumption that people here haven't experienced nibbana, the truth of that process to nibbana, and the logical consistency of the goal, the experiential relief of cessation, and at least the release that faith in this goal brings, is mistaken. Even their lack of ignorance about the dhamma, their lack of doubt will take them to a good place at the very least. You seem to sit ever outside, wondering, pondering but never really belonging.. to anything. What use has been your erudition to you?

with metta

Matheesha
With Metta

Karuna
Mudita
& Upekkha
chownah

Post by chownah »

Akuma wrote: "................
But so far Buddhist practice looks pretty much like a bunch of people who can neither explain what theyre aiming at exactly, nor technically define why it should work, how it should work nor give a functioning step-by-step guide how to reach it, altho they sure like to talk much about everything peripheral to it?
.................."
Akuma,
Buddhist practice is not a bunch of people....it is what individuals do.
As far as I know most of the "Buddhists" who post on this forum are aiming at the end of suffering (Dukkha).
The Buddha taught that it does work and how this can be seen in the world....isn't this in the 4 Noble Truths?
The Buddha taught how it does work....Isn't this in the 4 Noble Truths?
There is not step by step guide....if it was that easy we would probably just need a pamphlet issued to us......
Alot of the things people do to help in achieving the end of Dukkha are things to train the mind so that it is more aware of its own functioning and so to the casual observer (no insult intended) they seem peripheral...and I suppose it could be called that...I guess it takes most people alot of peripheral work to get ready for the "big event".....this is just the nature of following the path...a path where there is not step by step guide......

There are no guarantees....there are no proofs....there is no easy answer....there is no step by step guide.....whether an arahant is stuck in nibbana or not is of no importance whatsoever as far as I can tell....what difference does it make anyway?....is it just that you can have no faith unless this can be proven?....proven in some way that is not even clear what would constitute proof?....then I guess you probably won't pursue Theravada Buddhism....that's ok with me....I suggest trying Taoism....it teaches about the same thing as Theravada but eveything is treated as mysteriously obscure and unproven.....I rather like Taoism and think that while it teaches about the same thing it does so in a way that is more attractive to many people and you just might find it more enticing.

chownah
acinteyyo

Post by acinteyyo »

Akuma wrote:
accinteyo wrote: Hi Akuma,

Good. What is different then in the setup of the mindstream of the arya as compared the the putthujana? The Sarvastivadins f.e. hold that the arya-santana actually appropriates certain dharmas that make him an arya. Do you know how Theravada explains if it does?
I'm not familiar with views of the earlier Sarvāstivāda. To answer your question, the relevance of what one appropriates is less important. What one gets rid of is much more important. For example one way to describe the difference between an ariya and a puthujjana are the fetters. A puthujjana is anyone who is still possessed of all the 10 fetters. An arya is free from some or all fetters. Another way to look at it are the five clinging aggregates (pañc'upādānakkhandhā) vs. the aggregates (pañcakhandhā). In case of the puthujjana the pañc'upādānakkhandhā apply, whereas only the pañcakhandhā apply to an arahant, who got rid of clinging. A third way to differentiate is the way puthujjana, sekha and arahant recognize/comprehend the world. See Notes on Dhamma :: Shorter Notes :: MAMA of Ven. Ñanavira Thera and Mulapariyaya Sutta MN1.

best wishes, acinteyyo
Thag 1.20. Ajita - I do not fear death; nor do I long for life. I’ll lay down this body, aware and mindful.
beeblebrox

Post by beeblebrox »

chownah wrote:I think that skills acquired for training is not a good metaphor for the changes of reaching Sotapanna and higher......possibly a more apt metaphor is the smell and taste of chocolate ice cream......once you experience them you do not retrogress and forget them even if you don't practice. [. . .]
To continue Chownah's metaphor of the chocolate ice cream... how does one manage to keep the making of the ice cream after its original maker's died?

:anjali:
Last edited by beeblebrox on Wed May 25, 2011 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

The best way to explain it is through abhidhamma...

Kevin