ayya khema

Pictures of revered teachers, places, rupas, temples, bhikkhus, shrine rooms etc. that bring inspiration to our members. Pilgrimage advice etc.

Re: ayya khema

Postby PeterB » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:58 pm

:anjali:
PeterB

Postby pilgrim » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:43 am

A_Martin wrote:I didn't read her biography, so I don't know what I should tell or can. But One Day in November she asked us to open the windows of the meditation hall - it was quite chilly - and she mentioned the reason for doing so. The evening before devas came to her and asked her if it was ok with her to listen to her talks on Dhamma. With the windows closed they felt they were intruding. So she gave them permission to listen to her talks by opening the windows.

That's interesting. Few western teachers speak of such.
pilgrim

Postby a la n » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:27 pm

Hi - I took 5 precepts from Ayya Khema in 1980 at the Wat and did many retreats there with Laurence and Sister Khema. My kids and I used to take her dana when she came to Melbourne and stayed at the Buddhist societies house in Richmond. My 2 - 5 yr old daugher adored her. She was feisty, warm, precise, detailed, cautious, stern, mystical, straightlaced and when Laurence disrobed, furious and disbelieving.

I once sat for 10 days in her kuti seeing only Laurence in the afternoon and it was the most transformative time Ive ever enjoyed.

Her retreats at the Wat were sellouts because she was so popular and inspiring. Generally she always smiled wen she talked - her eyes were wrinkled at the edges with so much smiling.

Interesting to hear of Acharn Maha Boowas passing. I have a few old books Laurence passed on to me. He'll appreciate knowing, if he doesnt already, when I see him Saturday.

Nice to be on this forum.

cheers

Alan.
a la n

Postby greensleaves » Tue May 24, 2011 9:11 am

Hi Delilah

I went to several meditation retreats with Ayya Khema at Wat Buddha Dhamma in the 80s. She was such a powerful woman - beautifully intelligent and logical in her presentation, but something of a steam roller in that there wasn't much opportunity to disagree with anything she said. She could be very simple and lovely in interviews - I remember she suggested taking flowers when I went to visit my parents. I remember a sense of being cared for and understood. I read her autobiography a long time ago and didn't like it - I found it curiously hollow, as though there wasn't much more to this person than Buddha Dhamma. A pity. I think she was a bit obsessed with Buddhism. I don't know the origins or reasons for that.
greensleaves

Postby David N. Snyder » Tue May 24, 2011 3:31 pm

greensleaves wrote:as though there wasn't much more to this person than Buddha Dhamma. A pity. I think she was a bit obsessed with Buddhism. I don't know the origins or reasons for that.

And the problem with that is . . . ? :thinking: :tongue:

After all, she was a bhikkhuni.

I think when one gets advanced in the practice, the Buddha-Dhamma consumes the person's energy and time and other trivial pursuits matter less. It can still be in a wholesome way and not a dogmatic or fundamentalist way. One thing she definitely was not, is a dogmatic fundamentalist.
David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby David2 » Fri May 27, 2011 10:28 am

There are many video-talks by Ayya Khema on this channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/mettaviharatube
David2

Postby retrofuturist » Fri May 27, 2011 10:34 am

Greetings,

David N. Snyder wrote:
greensleaves wrote:as though there wasn't much more to this person than Buddha Dhamma. A pity. I think she was a bit obsessed with Buddhism. I don't know the origins or reasons for that.

And the problem with that is . . . ? :thinking: :tongue:

Ha... yeah, that's exactly what I thought too.

Metta,
Retro. :)
If you have asked me of the origination of unease, then I shall explain it to you in accordance with my understanding:
Whatever various forms of unease there are in the world, They originate founded in encumbering accumulation. (Pārāyanavagga)

Exalted in mind, just open and clearly aware, the recluse trained in the ways of the sages:
One who is such, calmed and ever mindful, He has no sorrows! -- Udana IV, 7

Dharma Wheel (Mahayana / Vajrayana forum) -- Open flower ~ Open book (blog)
retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby nobody12345 » Sat May 28, 2011 4:24 pm

A_Martin wrote:
PeterB wrote:Thank you for that Bhante...Who is your teacher if I might ask ?

My present teacher is (was for he died on 30 jan 2011) Than Acharn Maha Bua.
Metta Martin

Bhante, it's wonderful that you have/had an auspicious fortune to have him as your teacher.
And I agree that it's the best to follow the teachers who only have one side (on and off stage).
:anjali:
nobody12345

Postby heyjude » Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:05 pm

Hi Delilah, I had the great pleasure of meeting your grandmother Ayya Khema several times. Many years ago whilst visiting Ramana Maharshi's ashram I met Narikuti Swami who knew Ayya Khema well in the early days. I believe in one of her books she named Narikuti Swami as one of her first teachers.
heyjude

Postby lbrasington » Wed May 23, 2012 2:51 am

Hi Delilah,

I was a long time student of your grandmother. She's without a doubt one of the most amazing people I ever met. I would be very happy to share memories of her with you. Visit my web site at http://leighb.com - you'll find my email address there. Then send me an email and I'll get back to you.

Metta,
Leigh Brasington
lbrasington

Postby tiltbillings » Wed May 23, 2012 3:33 am

lbrasington wrote:Hi Delilah,

I was a long time student of your grandmother. She's without a doubt one of the most amazing people I ever met. I would be very happy to share memories of her with you. Visit my web site at http://leighb.com - you'll find my email address there. Then send me an email and I'll get back to you.

Metta,
Leigh Brasington
Welcome. And thanks for your input. I have found your website of great value, and anything you would care to share about Ven khema here would be most welcome. She was an inspiring teacher.
This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond.
SN I, 38.

Ar scáth a chéile a mhaireas na daoine.
People live in one another’s shelter.
"We eat cold eels and think distant thoughts." -- Jack Johnson
tiltbillings

Previous

Return to Shrine Room