Essential Right View

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths. What can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
phil

Re: Essential Right View

Postby phil » Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:02 am

Hi all

Sorry for not having read the whole thread.

Personally, I think it is best to think of the essential [*]wrong [*] view. So the view that deeds do not bear fruit, actively holding to it, promoting it to oneself and others, is essential wrong view. Having the right view, unshakably, that deeds do bear fruit feels different to me, somehow. I know there are times I doubt it, and that certainly doesn't make me feel that I'm not a good Buddhist, it is just natural moments of doubt that will almost certainly continue to arise for me. So there will not be unshakable right view of even that level.

But that isn't to say that there will be the wrong view that acts in a belief that there are no fruits to one's deeds, that is certain there is no rebirth so acts in a morally depraved way with no fear of the consesquences.

So it seems to me that moments of not-having right view do not equal moments of having wrong view. I am more concerned about not having wrong view than I am about having right view, because having right view, unshakably, is to be an Ariyan. I don't have Ariyan aspirations, personally. (See other thread.) I don't know if that makes any sense.

Metta,

Phil
Kammalakkhano , bhikkhave, bālo, kammalakkhano pandito, apadānasobhanī paññāti
(The fool is characterized by his/her actions/the wise one is characterized by his/her actions/Wisdom shines forth in behaviour.)
(AN 3.2 Lakkhana Sutta)

AdvaitaJ

Postby AdvaitaJ » Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:14 am

The birds have vanished down the sky. Now the last cloud drains away.
We sit together, the mountain and me, until only the mountain remains.
Li Bai

Prasadachitta

Postby Prasadachitta » Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:08 am

"Beautifully taught is the Lord's Dhamma, immediately apparent, timeless, of the nature of a personal invitation, progressive, to be attained by the wise, each for himself." Anguttara Nikaya V.332

pink_trike

Postby pink_trike » Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:24 am

Vision is Mind
Mind is Empty
Emptiness is Clear Light
Clear Light is Union
Union is Great Bliss

- Dawa Gyaltsen

---

Disclaimer: I'm a non-religious practitioner of Theravada, Mahayana/Vajrayana, and Tibetan Bon Dzogchen mind-training.

Return to “Connections to Other Paths”