Interest

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
becky62

Interest

Post by becky62 »

Hi my names Rebecca.
I'm currently doing a study of religion assignment and i have chosen to do buddhism. I need to conduct an ethnography and interview an adherent of the buddhism religion in relation to the ethical issue of poverty. I was wondering if anyone was interested in helping me out?
muchly appreciated :D
Ben

Re: Interest

Post by Ben »

Greetings Rebecca

We get many requests from high school to post-graduate students.
Perhaps before anyone responds you can tell us a little more about what you are studying and where you are studying.
kind regards

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
becky62

Post by becky62 »

yeah sure. I'm from a Catholic school in Australia doing an assignment in religion. We have been asked to investigate the extent to which the views of adherants in relation to the issue (I have chosen poverty) align with their religion's ethical code.
becky62

Post by becky62 »

It was suggested i put the questions up on my thread so here they are for those interested :) :

What is your occupation?

What is your ethnic background?

How long have you been practicing Buddhism for?

Do you attend services for your religion? If so how often?

What is your knowledge of poverty?

In your opinion, how do you feel about poverty?

Is this influenced by Buddha’s attitude in the approach to poverty and in saying this do you agree or disagree with the stance?

Can you justify this further?

Do the teachings and scriptures of Buddha influence your viewpoint?

Does your personal life affect your views on poverty due to family values, career or a particular incident?
Are there any points in which you disagree on the religions viewpoint on poverty?

Do you recognise and identify your religions ethical code?

What do you, from your understanding, believe this is?

Does the ethical code align Buddhist views and values on poverty?

If so, how do you feel the issue should be approached, considering the values and ethical code.
Ben

Post by Ben »

Hi Rebecca,
Please indicate the name and location of your school.
Thanks

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

becky62

Post by becky62 »

Trinity College Beenleigh, Brisbane
alan

Post by alan »

Hi Becky
Can you offer a good reason why we should do your homework for you?

If you develop an interest in Buddhism and want to discuss it, fine. But please don't assume you can go here and data mine.
becky62

Post by becky62 »

Its not getting anyone to do my homework for me. im doing an ethnography of how a buddhist feels about poverty which i then develop into an essay which is produced as a multi modal. If you had no interest in helping me answer some questions then you dont have to comment. I'm looking for someone who will genuinely help me. And i do have an interest in Buddhism but i can not interview myself.
m0rl0ck

Post by m0rl0ck »

alan wrote:Hi Becky
Can you offer a good reason why we should do your homework for you?

If you develop an interest in Buddhism and want to discuss it, fine. But please don't assume you can go here and data mine.
From what i understand, she is doing an ethnographic study. By definition that entails meaningful communication with those whose views and culture are of interest.
“The truth knocks on the door and you say, "Go away, I'm looking for the truth," and so it goes away. Puzzling.” ― Robert M. Pirsig
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Becky,

Nevermind Alan, he'd be the first to admit he can be a little curt sometimes. 8-)

I'll look at answering these questions soon, but don't have time just at the minute, and they seem quite detailed.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Ben

Post by Ben »

retrofuturist wrote: I'll look at answering these questions soon, but don't have time just at the minute, and they seem quite detailed.
Same here. Also...
They're not questions that one can give straight forward answers.
kind regards

Ben

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

becky62

Post by becky62 »

Thank you so much!
I appreciate your kindness and time greatly :)
becky62

Post by becky62 »

I understand some of them are indepth and thats what we were suppoed to do. apply open and closed questions so they can be further justified and explained further
alan

Post by alan »

This is a good place to be if you are interested in Buddhism. Much more interesting than ethnography!
But--What response were you expecting?
"Buddhists say it sucks to be poor"?
I'd say most everyone agrees. If you are looking for an overriding philosophy on the subject of poverty, you won't find it here. That seems to be the realm of economists. Have you read Adam Smith?
http://clubtroppo.com.au/2008/06/22/wha ... t-poverty/
plwk

Post by plwk »

So here's a simplistic shot...
What is your occupation?
What is your ethnic background?
Will PM you...
How long have you been practicing Buddhism for?
Since 1999
Do you attend services for your religion? If so how often?
Yes. The weekly (2-3 times), the twice a month observance of the New/Full Moon Days, the annual special festive days.
What is your knowledge of poverty?
This is a wide range question...
Personally, through various charitable bodies, I have visited and seen areas where poverty is present, both in rural and urban areas.
In terms of statistics and wider opinions that I have read, from my country's context, please refer to these: 1 2 3 4 5
And here too: Liberation of the Poor
In your opinion, how do you feel about poverty?
It is both an artificial and avoidable situation.
Is this influenced by Buddha’s attitude in the approach to poverty and in saying this do you agree or disagree with the stance?
I would yes.
Can you justify this further?
Here's some examples..
On Debt: Ina Sutta
Political:
When a King neglects to rule according to righteousness: Cakkavatti-Sihanada Sutta
When an entire nation reduces to misery when the Head of State is corrupt: Adhammika Sutta
Hoarding and mal-distribution: Agganna Sutta
Other causes of loss of wealth: Sigalovada Sutta
Kammic causes: Culakammavibhanga Sutta
Do the teachings and scriptures of Buddha influence your viewpoint?
To a large extent, yes
Does your personal life affect your views on poverty due to family values, career or a particular incident?
To some extent, yes
Are there any points in which you disagree on the religions viewpoint on poverty?
Only those which seek to either further keep people in poverty or refuse to alleviate them.
Do you recognise and identify your religions ethical code?
I should think so.
What do you, from your understanding, believe this is?
See this...
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .budd.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
To avoid all evil, to cultivate good, and to cleanse one's mind — this is the teaching of the Buddhas.
Does the ethical code align Buddhist views and values on poverty?
If based on the above quote, then yes.
If so, how do you feel the issue should be approached, considering the values and ethical code.
Sikkha Sutta