Anupubbanirodha Sutta: Step-by-step Stopping

Exploring the Dhamma, as understood from the perspective of the ancient Pali commentaries.
Dhammabodhi

Anupubbanirodha Sutta: Step-by-step Stopping

Post by Dhammabodhi »

Hello,

I quote the translation from http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;:
"Monks, there are these nine step-by-step stoppings. Which nine?

"When one has attained the first jhāna, the perception of sensuality has been stopped. When one has attained the second jhāna, directed thoughts & evaluations [verbal fabrications] have been stopped. When one has attained the third jhāna, rapture has been stopped. When one has attained the fourth jhāna, in-and-out breaths [bodily fabrications] have been stopped. When one has attained the dimension of the infinitude of space, the perception of forms has been stopped. When one has attained the dimension of the infinitude of consciousness, the perception of the dimension of the infinitude of space has been stopped. When one has attained the dimension of nothingness, the perception of the dimension of the infinitude of consciousness has been stopped. When one has attained the dimension of neither-perception nor non-perception, the perception of the dimension of nothingness has been stopped. When one has attained the cessation of perception & feeling, perceptions & feelings [mental fabrications] have been stopped.

"These are the nine step-by-step stoppings."

My (probably silly) question is: if in- and out-breaths are stopped, how does a person remain alive? What am I missing?

Thank you for your kind replies!
:anjali:
Dhammabodhi
"Take rest, take rest."-S.N.Goenka
Kenshou

Re: Anupubbanirodha Sutta: Step-by-step Stopping

Post by Kenshou »

I do not have a reference from Classical Theravada, but it's possible for the breathing to become so calm that you don't even notice it anymore.
Dhammabodhi

Post by Dhammabodhi »

Hi Kenshou,

I do understand that there is such a possibility. However, isn't calming the in-and-out breaths to the point that they are no longer noticeable, different from literally stopping them, as is claimed in the Sutta?

Dhammabodhi
rowyourboat

Post by rowyourboat »

There is no real 'scientific' way to explain it. What we think is indispensable (craving, anger.. breathing!) may not be. In a proper deep fourth jhana the breath does indeed stop. It is not a matter of not noticing it. Mindfulness is well purified at that stage. :shrug:

With metta

Matheesha
With Metta

Karuna
Mudita
& Upekkha
Dhammabodhi

Post by Dhammabodhi »

Hi RYB,

Thanks for your reply, there has been a scarcity of them. :tongue:

It is indeed strange, and yet not so strange. I guess if I am ever fortunate enough to experience the fourth jhana I would know then. So does everything in the body stop? Even the :heart:?

Dhammabodhi
rowyourboat

Post by rowyourboat »

Hi Dhammabodi,

Hmm if the heart were to stop as well that would real interesting! I assume it slows down, but that is just speculation because 1) I can't feel my heartbeat reliably 2) it is not mentioned in the suttas. In fact I can't think of many places the experience of the heart beat is mentioned at all in the suttas.

I don't think the jhanas are that far a away- given enough time and motivation most people can experience these states. :anjali:

With metta

Matheesha
With Metta

Karuna
Mudita
& Upekkha