Ajahn Chah's Life & Dhamma Teachings

Post sayings and stories you find interesting or useful.
bodom

Re: Ajahn Chah's Life & Dhamma Teachings

Post by bodom »

Here's an excellent article by Lily de Silva regarding...

The Buddhist Attitude Towards Nature
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/auth ... itude.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Nature as Beautiful

The Buddha and his disciples regarded natural beauty as a source of great joy and aesthetic satisfaction. The saints who purged themselves of sensuous worldly pleasures responded to natural beauty with a detached sense of appreciation. The average poet looks at nature and derives inspiration mostly by the sentiments it evokes in his own heart; he becomes emotionally involved with nature. For instance, he may compare the sun's rays passing over the mountain tops to the blush on a sensitive face, he may see a tear in a dew drop, the lips of his beloved in a rose petal, etc. But the appreciation of the saint is quite different. He appreciates nature's beauty for its own sake and derives joy unsullied by sensuous associations and self-projected ideas. The simple spontaneous appreciation of nature's exquisite beauty is expressed by the Elder Mahakassapa in the following words:[60]

Those upland glades delightful to the soul,
Where the Kaveri spreads its wildering wreaths,
Where sound the trumpet-calls of elephants:
Those are the hills where my soul delights.

Those rocky heights with hue of dark blue clouds
Where lies embossed many a shining lake
Of crystal-clear, cool waters, and whose slopes
The 'herds of Indra' cover and bedeck:
Those are the hills wherein my soul delights.

Fair uplands rain-refreshed, and resonant
With crested creatures' cries antiphonal,
Lone heights where silent Rishis oft resort:
Those are the hills wherein my soul delights.

Again the poem of Kaludayi, inviting the Buddha to visit Kapilavatthu, contains a beautiful description of spring:[61]

Now crimson glow the trees, dear Lord, and cast
Their ancient foliage in quest of fruit,
Like crests of flame they shine irradiant
And rich in hope, great Hero, is the hour.

Verdure and blossom-time in every tree
Wherever we look delightful to the eye,
And every quarter breathing fragrant airs,
While petals falling, yearning comes fruit:
It is time, O Hero, that we set out hence.

The long poem of Talaputa is a fascinating soliloquy.[62] His religious aspirations are beautifully blended with a profound knowledge of the teachings of the Buddha against the background of a sylvan resort. Many more poems could be cited for saintly appreciation of nature, but it is not necessary to burden the essay with any more quotations. Suffice it to know that the saints, too, were sensitive to the beauties and harmony of nature and that their appreciation is colored by spontaneity, simplicity, and a non-sensuous spirituality.
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

Looks like European sensibilites being projected backwards and sideways to me Bodom.

Perhaps we could start with a definition of "nature". Which requires a definition of " unnature".

My dictionary gives a definition of nature thus,

"The totality of all animals plants and landscapes, excluding that which is man made. "

Does anyone else see a problem with this ? :smile:

Firstly...the man made must of necessity be of nature. Man isn't an add-on.
Secondly.....Upekkha means no emotional distinction between forest and mall...doesn't it ?
bodom

Post by bodom »

I guess peter. :shrug:

This has become unnecessarily complicated, at least for me it has, and as you often say, "Life is too short."

I will continue to enjoy the beautiful scenery in my part of the world, see the Dhamma of it, and wont loose a bit of sleep over it.

:anjali:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

Me too Bodom...we bought a property by the River Thames overlooking water meadows, and paid a premium for the view...My attempts at Haiku are full of the imagery.
But I know in my heart that the idea is to be equally peaceful and non resistant to being in the middle of Piccadilly Circus or Times Square..
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Sorry if its already been posted — I could not see it with a quick browse through the thread.

Ajahn Jayasaro — Biography of Ajahn Chah
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

Thank you Bhante..
beeblebrox

Post by beeblebrox »

PeterB wrote:That is my point. D.O. cant be learned from "nature..." ( whatever that is ).

Anicca and Dukkha can be observed in " nature". Spiritual seekers before the Buddha , particularly in the Vedic Dhammic traditions, developed samadhi states that enabled them to observe Anicca and Dukkha...
But D.O.is unique to Buddha Dhamma . It has to be discovered or rediscovered by a Sammasambuddha. It is the acme of Buddha Dhamma. Its sine qua non. It can not be deduced from " nature".
And Luang Por was not suggesting that it could.
He was referring to the way that natural phenomena are in accord with the Buddhas teaching. Not that they merely by observation can convey the breadth and subtlety of the Buddha's Dhamma.
I think this is false. Without the nature, or more specifically the human nature, the D.O. would be pointless. The D.O. was based on the human nature... that's what makes it effective.

When the Buddha said that the dhamma-vinaya was designed for humans (i.e., it would make no sense for a naga to ordain as a bhikkhu), I think it was partly for this reason. When a human views the nature, it's through his own lens. (Buddha's the All.) If you view the nature as something that is apart from this, you're deviating from the "all".

PeterB

Post by PeterB »

I dont actually think we are in disagreement Beeblebrox. I would agree that if we see that which is human apart from nature we make a false dichotomy.
ultraben

Post by ultraben »

PeterB wrote:Incidentally i would be most interested to hear which Thai or Lao term was translated as " nature" in the above quotation.
Hi Peter,

The Thai term used in this talk is ธรรมชาติ - Thammachart

Let me know if you need any more info on the Thai langauge version.

Regards,

Ben
christopher:::

Post by christopher::: »

ultraben wrote:
PeterB wrote:Incidentally i would be most interested to hear which Thai or Lao term was translated as " nature" in the above quotation.
Hi Peter,

The Thai term used in this talk is ธรรมชาติ - Thammachart

Let me know if you need any more info on the Thai langauge version.

Regards,

Ben
Hi Ben. Thamma here is related to Dhamma? Any thoughts about it's meaning (ธรรมชาติ - Thammachart) in relation to the linked translation of Ajahn Chah's talk, in English? Do you agree with the translation?
"As Buddhists, we should aim to develop relationships that are not predominated by grasping and clinging. Our relationships should be characterised by the brahmaviharas of metta (loving kindness), mudita (sympathetic joy), karuna (compassion), and upekkha (equanimity)."
~post by Ben, Jul 02, 2009
ultraben

Post by ultraben »

Hi Christopher,

Sorry for the late reply.

The "Thamma" in "Thammachart" is the same as the the Thai word for Dhamma.
Dhamma = Tham (ธรรม) - also spelt Thamma (ธรรมะ)
Nature = Thammachart (ธรรมชาติ)

In the talk "Thammachart" is used to refer to the natural world/nature ( no hidden meanings if that is what you mean? )

The translation is not word for word in parts - but seems ok.

Kind regards,

Ben

ultraben wrote:Hi Christopher,

Sorry for the late reply.

The "Thamma" in "Thammachart" is the same as the the Thai word for Dhamma.
Dhamma = Tham (ธรรม) - also spelt Thamma (ธรรมะ)
Nature = Thammachart (ธรรมชาติ)

In the talk "Thammachart" is used to refer to the natural world/nature ( no hidden meanings if that is what you mean? )

The translation is not word for word in parts - but seems ok.

Kind regards,

Ben
Thanks Ben.

So the word "Nature" (Natural world around us, home of trees and animals) is an extension of the root term "Dhamma" in Tai, "Dhamma World" in a sense? If so that's very interesting, and something completely different from the roots of the term "Nature" in English...

It seems like the Thai language provides a very different view of the world.
"As Buddhists, we should aim to develop relationships that are not predominated by grasping and clinging. Our relationships should be characterised by the brahmaviharas of metta (loving kindness), mudita (sympathetic joy), karuna (compassion), and upekkha (equanimity)."

Traditionally the Eightfold Path is taught with eight steps such as Right Understanding, Right Speech, Right Concentration, and so forth. But the true Eightfold Path is within us-two eyes, two ears, two nostrils, a tongue, and a body. These eight doors are our entire Path and the mind is the one that walks on the Path. Know these doors, examine them, and all the dharmas will be revealed.The heart of the path is SO simple. No need for long explanations. Give up clinging to love and hate, just rest with things as they are. That is all I do in my own practice.Do not try to become anything. Do not make yourself into anything. Do not be a meditator. Do not become enlightened. When you sit, let it be. When you walk, let it be. Grasp at nothing. Resist nothing.Of course, there are dozens of meditation techniques to develop samadhi and many kinds of vipassana. But it all comes back to this-just let it all be. Step over here where it is cool, out of the battle.Why not give it a try? Do you dare?

- Ajahn Chah
Thank you to bodom, who posted this earlier and reposted it again, elsewhere.

Nicro

Post by Nicro »

Just ordered this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1931044813" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hope its okay if I bump this thread alive again. I started a Dharma themed page on FB awhile back and people seem to really appreciate Ajahn Chah's wisdom. Will make use of some of the quotes shared here.

:bow: