watch those sprouts !

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.
PeterB

watch those sprouts !

Post by PeterB »

With the death toll rising to 23, and hundreds sick, the "probable " cause of the new strain of E Coli in Germany has been traced to organic beansprouts.
Professor of Nutrition Dr Euan Sinclair said " Myself and a number of colleagues have been predicting this for some time. The organic movement with its reliance on the supposed benefits of crops grown using half rotted animal dung is playing Russian Roulette with public health "...

Former organic vegetable consumer Hannah Schiel declared..." I am on a well cooked meat and fish diet for the time being "...
Jhana4

Re: watch those sprouts !

Post by Jhana4 »

A few years ago in the United States there was an E Coli problem with people eating bagged spinach. The problem didn't happen for people who bought fresh spinach and washed the spinach themselves. The problem was traced to runoff from livestock farms -- animal poo from livestock raised for meat getting into the water supply and getting on crops.
Last edited by Jhana4 on Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In reading the scriptures, there are two kinds of mistakes:
One mistake is to cling to the literal text and miss the inner principles.
The second mistake is to recognize the principles but not apply them to your own mind, so that you waste time and just make them into causes of entanglement.
ground

Post by ground »

I am on a save vegan diet ... (don't like raw fruits and vegetables)

Kind regards
plwk

Post by plwk »

First the suspected Spanish cucumbers, now it's the sprouts ...
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

It looks almost as though we cant eat our way out of samsara...
Jhana4

Post by Jhana4 »

In reading the scriptures, there are two kinds of mistakes:
One mistake is to cling to the literal text and miss the inner principles.
The second mistake is to recognize the principles but not apply them to your own mind, so that you waste time and just make them into causes of entanglement.
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

Watch this space.

Try googling " news For E Coli " where Reuters carry a report of many outbreaks of E Coli where the link with organic veg in general and beansprouts in particular have been well established.
Now watch the growth of conspiracy theories aimed at "agribiz "... :smile:
ground

Post by ground »

PeterB wrote:It looks almost as though we cant eat our way out of samsara...
That's true but through carefully choosing one's food one may practice "avoiding [additional] harm [caused by one's conduct] for others". The Buddha taught harmlessness.

And of course renunciation is involved since we are talking about sense pleasures in the context of food.

Kind regards
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

You might be talking about renouncing sense pleasures in the context of food...I'm not.

I am talking about not adding to dukkha by eating stuff marketed at premium prices that comes with its own wee portion of shit.
Ben

Post by Ben »

Funny, but soooo true!
I realised this for myself over twenty years ago and I dropped my macrobiotic diet like a steaming hot turd!
And I probably gave someone e-coli in the process!
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Ben

Post by Ben »

TMingyur wrote:
That's true but through carefully choosing one's food one may practice "avoiding [additional] harm [caused by one's conduct] for others". The Buddha taught harmlessness.

And of course renunciation is involved since we are talking about sense pleasures in the context of food.

Kind regards
Yes. Compassion for other living beings and my own health being motivating factors for my (mostly) vegetarian diet.
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

Ben wrote:
Funny, but soooo true!
I realised this for myself over twenty years ago and I dropped my macrobiotic diet like a steaming hot turd!
And I probably gave someone e-coli in the process!

Not the new strain though... :smile:
Its beginning to look as though it is the result of a " perfect storm "...overuse of antibiotics and inadequately cleaned raw organic foods have resulted in a superbug , a coming together of two strains of E Coli, one of which Shiga even in its old form was bad enough... I know from personal experience...

That's the latest ( ? ) theory, if true it is deeply strange that it should have come about as a result of a combination of modern medicine used indiscriminately and a reaction to that indiscriminate use...used itself without due caution...