Lion's Roar?

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible in order to double-check alignment to Theravāda orthodoxy.
Ngawang Drolma.

Lion's Roar?

Post by Ngawang Drolma. »

Is this the "Lion's Roar?"

"Supreme am I in the world;
"Greatest am I in the world;
"Noblest am I in the world.
"This is my last birth,
"Never shall I be reborn."

Thanks,
Drolma :)
retrofuturist

Re: Lion's Roar?

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Drolma,

I don't believe there's any one statement that constitutes the "Lion's Roar".

The Lion's Roar - Two Discourses of the Buddha
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/auth ... el390.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The Pali Commentaries explain that there are two kinds of lion's roar: that of the Buddha himself and that of his disciples. The former is sounded when the Buddha extols his own attainments or proclaims the potency of the doctrine he has realized; the latter, when accomplished disciples testify to their own achievement of the final goal, the fruit of arahantship. Viewed in the light of this distinction, the Shorter Discourse on the Lion's Roar exhibits a hybrid character, being a sutta spoken by the Buddha to instruct his disciples how they should affirm, in discussions with others who hold different convictions, the singular greatness of the Teaching.
Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
xiaogui17

Post by xiaogui17 »

The Lion's Roar is a mood rather than a statement, as I understand it, the ability to speak with the confidence that one knows that which one speaks of having experienced direct knowledge.
Dhammanando

Post by Dhammanando »

Hi Drolma,
Drolma wrote:Is this the "Lion's Roar?"

"Supreme am I in the world;
"Greatest am I in the world;
"Noblest am I in the world.
"This is my last birth,
"Never shall I be reborn."
It is the utterance spoken by Bodhisattas when they are first born in their final life. The commentator Buddhadatta of Kāvīrapaṭṭana refers to it as a lion's roar, but in the Mahāpadāna and Acchariya-abbhuta Suttas (DN. 14; MN. 123) the Buddha calls it an āsabhī vācā, meaning the speech of the bull who leads the herd.

Best wishes,
Dhammanando Bhikkhu
Yena yena hi maññanti,
tato taṃ hoti aññathā.

In whatever way they conceive it,
It turns out otherwise.
(Sn. 588)
Ngawang Drolma.

Post by Ngawang Drolma. »

Thank you :namaste:
analysis

Post by analysis »

Dhammanando wrote: Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:36 am the Buddha calls it an āsabhī vācā, meaning the speech of the bull who leads the herd.
āsabha bull in ancient India was not someone that we think/guess by having seen modern bulls.

I have heard a categorization like (at least close to) below.
usabha - leader of 100 bulls
āsabha - leader of 1000 bulls
nisabha - leader of 10000 bulls

They are fearless and considered unmovable by any means, if they intentionally stop moving and stand on the ground.
(Well established legs on the earth)