Prayers for SATTVA

Pictures of revered teachers, places, rupas, temples, bhikkhus, shrine rooms etc. that bring inspiration to our members. Pilgrimage advice etc.

Re: could you pray or chant for me?

Postby cooran » Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:40 am

May Louise be safe and protected

May Louise be healthy and strong

May Louise be happy of heart and mind

May Louise live with ease and well-being

May Louise be free of mental and physical pain.

with metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
cooran

Postby Ytrog » Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:28 pm

Metta :hug:
Suffering is asking from life what it can never give you.

mindfulness, bliss and beyond (page 8) wrote:Do not linger on the past. Do not keep carrying around coffins full of dead moments

If you see any unskillful speech (or other action) from me let me know, so I can learn from it.
Ytrog

Postby mlswe » Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:02 pm

may you be always mindful and may your confidence in the triple gem be strong and supportive whatever the outcome may be, may the outcome be to your benefit

may you be healthy, content, surrounded by reliable support and liberated from dukkha
mlswe

Postby Dhammabodhi » Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:57 pm

Truckloads of Metta ! :heart: :hug:
-Samāhitam cittam yathābhutam pajānāti.

समाहितं चित्तं यथाभूतं पजानाती |

A concentrated mind sees things as they really are.

-Ujuko nāma so maggo, abhayā nāma sā disā.

उजुको नाम सो माग्गो, अभया नाम सा दिसा |

'Straight' is this path, fearlessness is its way.
Dhammabodhi

Postby sattva » Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:58 pm

Thanks everyone for all the support. I appreciate it so much :heart:

I went to the surgeon's yesterday and the news was worse than expected. I was quite bummed out, although i am in a better frame of mind today. He is concerned about my kidneys which are not working perfectly and he says i have a 50% chance of being on dialysis afterwards, at least temporarilly, and possibly permanently. I had just come from my regular doctor who hadn't seemed all that concerned about the kidney numbers, blaming it on one of my meds and the dye i had to take for the cardio cath. We are lowering the med and he seemed to think that my kidneys would come back, but the heart surgeon says that the operation will stress my kidneys further.

He also wants me to get an MRA (it's like an MRI) on my neck. He thinks the arteries there may be clogged as well. I am scheduled for that on Friday. My insurane company is balking about paying.... We have tentalively scheduled the bypass for June 29th. It is farther away than the cardiologist wanted, but it is what it is. If my arteries in my neck are clogged, that will be done right before the heart. It will take at least 3 hours, maybe more.

Yesterday, i questioned whether i should not get it done. I may die during the operation. I may end up on dialysis. I shutter at the thought. If i don't have the operation, i will probably die soon of a heart attack. They say i have had a silent one in the past which has probably caused all these problems i have been having.

This is my conclusion. If i live and end up on dialysis, i will still be able to practice Buddhism even in a limited form. I cannot choose definite death over a limited existence with the possibily of any continued practice.

i will try to let you all know as much as possible the exact time and expected length of the operation.

Thank you again :anjali:
sattva

Postby mikenz66 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:11 pm

Dear Sattava,

I admire your courage. Be as well as you can be.

:anjali:
Mike
mikenz66

Postby Reductor » Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:43 pm

My heart goes out to you sattva. It cannot be easy to face these problems. Be at peace and recall that all things go their own way.

Karuna!
Michael

The thoughts I've expressed in the above post are carefully considered and offered in good faith.

And friendliness towards the world is happiness for him who is forbearing with living beings. -- Ud. 2:1
To his own ruin the fool gains knowledge, for it cleaves his head and destroys his innate goodness. -- Dhp 72

Reductor

Postby cooran » Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:20 pm

Dear Louise,

I have a close relative, in his sixties, who had a quadruple bypass in his forties, then, in his fifties, he had a triple bypass, this was followed in later years by four stents, and an angioplasty. He is also diabetic. This man still drives daily, shops, does the washing, volunteers at a charity one day a week, and cares for his elderly mother full-time. He had his initial quadruple bypass over 20 years ago. Keeping in regular touch with your G.P. after the Op is essential and supportive.

With metta :console:
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
cooran

Postby bodom » Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:28 pm

A Dhamma talk from Upasika Kee Nanayon that everyone should read:

A Good Dose of Dhamma:
For Meditators When They Are Ill

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/thai ... ddose.html

:anjali:
The heart of the path is SO simple. No need for long explanations. Give up clinging to love and hate, just rest with things as they are. That is all I do in my own practice. Do not try to become anything. Do not make yourself into anything. Do not be a meditator. Do not become enlightened. When you sit, let it be. When you walk, let it be. Grasp at nothing. Resist nothing. Of course, there are dozens of meditation techniques to develop samadhi and many kinds of vipassana. But it all comes back to this - just let it all be. Step over here where it is cool, out of the battle. - Ajahn Chah
bodom

Postby fig tree » Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:29 am

This is Sattva:

sattva.jpg
sattva.jpg (33.3 KiB) Viewed 1532 times

FIg Tree
fig tree

Postby Cittasanto » Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:11 am

may you not loose your home resort!

With Metta
Manapa
This offering maybe right, or wrong, but it is one, the other, both, or neither!
With Metta
Upāsaka Cittasanto
Blog, - Some Suttas Translated, Ajahn Chah.
"Others will misconstrue reality due to their personal perspectives, doggedly holding onto and not easily discarding them; We shall not misconstrue reality due to our own personal perspectives, nor doggedly holding onto them, but will discard them easily. This effacement shall be done."
Cittasanto

Re: Prayers for SATTVA

Postby sattva » Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:51 pm

Didn't know this thread was here. Thanks everyone for well wishes!!! :heart: :group:
sattva

Postby Sanghamitta » Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:53 pm

:anjali: :group:
The going for refuge is the door of entrance to the teachings of the Buddha.

Bhikku Bodhi.
Sanghamitta

Postby sattva » Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:06 pm

Thanks everyone for all the well-wishes and links!!! Thanks for posting my pic, Fig Tree. i call it Squinting in the Sun lol. My sister took the photo just a few days ago.

Blessings and metta to you all :anjali:
sattva

Postby Ben » Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:12 pm

Back at you, Louise!
"One cannot step twice into the same river, nor can one grasp any mortal substance in a stable condition, but it scatters and again gathers; it forms and dissolves, and approaches and departs."

- Hereclitus

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR
Buddhist Life Stories of Australia

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com
Ben
Site Admin

Postby BubbaBuddhist » Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:24 pm

Hope all goes well. I had a friend who had a quad BP and afterward he was a new man. In a good way.

M4
Author of Redneck Buddhism: or Will You Reincarnate as Your Own Cousin?
BubbaBuddhist

Postby Jhana4 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:33 pm

My father is in his mid 70s. He had a triple bypass and a cleaning out of his carotid artery back in February. His doctor discovered that his arteries were nearly blocked ( no heart attacks, he went in for other issues ). Throughout the process I was impressed by how confident all of the medical staff were. They told us that so many of these operations were done that these operations have become routine and safe. My father is fine now. Good Luck.
In reading the scriptures, there are two kinds of mistakes:
One mistake is to cling to the literal text and miss the inner principles.
The second mistake is to recognize the principles but not apply them to your own mind, so that you waste time and just make them into causes of entanglement.
Jhana4

Postby manas » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:57 pm

I have only recently returned to DW, so I have not previously met sattva, but I hope she can find whichever aspect of the three Refuges that calms and centres her mind the most, and recollect that as she goes through this procedure. may she undergo the op with a heart-mind at peace. :anjali:
manas

Postby manas » Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:34 pm

Hi sattva,
I too admire your courage at this very challenging time. A gentle reminder: maybe find whatever aspect of the Triple Gem most calms and centres your mind and heart, and decide on it now, so that when the time for 'going in' to the procedure arrives, you are already decided on it, and automatically know what to do.

I can remember when I was in hospital, with internal bleeding (spleen had a rupture). Breathing became painful, and reduced down to what felt like a few centimeters each way (I had a fractured rib). I grounded my mind in that - the breath that I still had - and kept sending love into my body, visualizing it as light. So for me in that moment, my kammaṭṭhāna from my ordinary daily practice, became my 'refuge' that got me through that experience with a relatively calm mind. (I got to keep my spleen, btw - it eventually healed.)

But one could choose any aspect of the three Refuges, I suppose...recollection of the Buddha, of an aspect of the Dhamma that inspires one, or the Sangha (a teacher one has a connection with?), etc. This is just a suggestion of mine based on personal experience, I'm not a professional of any kind! But I offer it as something that helped me thorugh a challenging time, and might be helpful to you.

In the end, your faith and practice reside in your heart and mind already, and will arise at the right time, I intuit. May you be at peace, sattva! Whatever happens, may the goodness of your faith and practice guide and protect you. I also will await to know the exact time of the op. and you will be in my heart-and-mind especially at that time. :heart:
manas

Postby retrofuturist » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:39 pm

:namaste:
If you have asked me of the origination of unease, then I shall explain it to you in accordance with my understanding:
Whatever various forms of unease there are in the world, They originate founded in encumbering accumulation. (Pārāyanavagga)

Exalted in mind, just open and clearly aware, the recluse trained in the ways of the sages:
One who is such, calmed and ever mindful, He has no sorrows! -- Udana IV, 7

Dharma Wheel (Mahayana / Vajrayana forum) -- Open flower ~ Open book (blog)
retrofuturist
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Shrine Room