advertising

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
genkaku

advertising

Post by genkaku »

I was looking at another Buddhist site, one with a bunch of advertising attached, and it made me think how suspicious anyone might be of advertising. Everyone over the age of consent has been fooled in the past by advertising of one kind or another. And yet our suspicions do not seem to be enough to stop the endless flow of advertising.

Abraham Lincoln, the American president, once observed, "You can fool all of the people some of the time and some of the people all of the time, but you can't fool all of the people all of the time." I guess this is the basis for a lot of advertising: You don't have to trick everyone in order to make money.

Our natural suspicions rest on experience: The words may be outstanding, but the product doesn't match up with the words. And sometimes I think the same thing is true in our lives: Good, bad or indifferent, we talk about (whether to ourselves or others) the product that is "me." And yet no matter how hard we try, the advertising and the product seldom match up. Oh, I am so happy! Oh, I am so sad! Oh, I am a Democrat! Oh, I am a Republican! Oh, I am a Christian! Oh, I am a Buddhist!

I guess we're stuck with the farm -- gotta check out the product itself and not worry so much about the advertising.

Just noodling.
retrofuturist

Re: advertising

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Genkaku,

I prefer informative advertising, which actually provides people with information about the supply of particular goods and services... as opposed to persuasive advertising, which simply attempts to ratchet up demand for said products through deceptive means.

For example, I prefer the simple informative advertisement in your signature to any advertisement for any beauty products I've ever seen. It informs the market rather than attempting to artificially create market demand for products that otherwise would not exist.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
floating_abu

Post by floating_abu »

Without advertising, would there be Buddhism?
LuzdelaLuna

Post by LuzdelaLuna »

Interesting...this is something I have recently been experiencing.

For me, saying I am this or that sounds so hollow. What do I DO? I'd rather let my actions speak for me.

When it comes to others, in instances where I felt the strong urge to jump up and down, especially when they where doing wrong, and point out how badly they are behaving...I have finally come to realize they will advertsie (reveal) themselves all on their own...without my intervention.

How about another old adage..."Actions speak louder than words."

Also, a simple way to figure out if anyone is not BS'ing is to ask..."Do their words and actions match?" This does well when examining whether the advertising for the cleaning cloth that will save your life for only $19.95 is for real or whether someone's words when they are trying to sell you themselves.

:smile:
If you can't find the truth right in front of you, where do you expect to find it? - Dogen

blog
Jechbi

Post by Jechbi »

genkaku wrote:Good, bad or indifferent, we talk about (whether to ourselves or others) the product that is "me." And yet no matter how hard we try, the advertising and the product seldom match up. Oh, I am so happy! Oh, I am so sad! Oh, I am a Democrat! Oh, I am a Republican! Oh, I am a Christian! Oh, I am a Buddhist!
An interesting thing about this is that a lot of people sell themselves short. We market ourselves to ourselves, but the message can be all over the board, yet somehow, we always buy it.

We now return to our regularly scheduled program ...

:smile:
Rain soddens what is kept wrapped up,
But never soddens what is open;
Uncover, then, what is concealed,
Lest it be soddened by the rain.
barcsimalsi

Post by barcsimalsi »

what happen to dhammawheel, suddenly so many annoying advertisement.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

barcsimalsi wrote:what happen to dhammawheel, suddenly so many annoying advertisement.
What advertising? If you are referring to any specific posts, please use the report function. If you are seeing a bunch of hyperlinks to other sites on various words on the screen, then that means you have a trojan virus. You need to do a sweep of your computer to remove the virus(es). If you can't get rid of them, do a partial system restore on your computer where perhaps you could save your files and go back to a date when there were no viruses on the computer.
barcsimalsi

Post by barcsimalsi »

David N. Snyder wrote:
What advertising? If you are referring to any specific posts, please use the report function. If you are seeing a bunch of hyperlinks to other sites on various words on the screen, then that means you have a trojan virus. You need to do a sweep of your computer to remove the virus(es). If you can't get rid of them, do a partial system restore on your computer where perhaps you could save your files and go back to a date when there were no viruses on the computer.
Yes a bunch of links. Funny it does not occur on other sites, gonna scan first...
Thanks.
Reductor

Post by Reductor »

Yeah, I accidently got a program called 'coupon companion' installed on my computer which would hyperlink words on DW with links to ads. I couldn't remove all of it as its a stubborn little prick.
Buliwo

Post by Buliwo »

Especially if you are getting parts of texts full of hyperlinks, that is indeed adware and you need to do a full scan!
barcsimalsi

Post by barcsimalsi »

Mine was actually pop up ads link, apart from that is the back button does not direct to previous page but keep reloading the same page. Scan with avira, no detection.

I reset my internet browser and back to normal now.