Buddhist (or other wholesome) humour sought...

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
manas

Buddhist (or other wholesome) humour sought...

Post by manas »

Samsara is a serious business. I guess that makes Mara the CEO. Anyway, he obviously never takes a vacation, because without constant vigilance, my mind easily slips into defiled behaviour.

Despite the importance of what we do, trying our best (hopefully) to practise the Path to Awakening as taught by the Buddha, and (hopefully) not only for our own benefit, but with the intention to assist others in this, I'm thinking that while we should take the Path seriously, we don't need to take ourselves too seriously. It's in this spirit that I invite anyone of a humourous bent to post any kind of story, joke or one-liner that might bring roars of laughter, a chuckle, or even just a smile, to a weary dhamma-practitioner's face. Life is already difficult enough, without us being heavy-hearted. In any case, I really need to just laugh a little.

Thanking you,

:pig:
To the Buddha-refuge i go; to the Dhamma-refuge i go; to the Sangha-refuge i go.
kirk5a

Re: Buddhist (or other wholesome) humour sought...

Post by kirk5a »

I've been recently coming up with what my girlfriend calls "Suburban Dad Jokes." They're really dumb, so don't say I didn't warn you...

What's it called when two antelope want to run off and get married but their parents stop them?

Cantaloupe.
"When one thing is practiced & pursued, ignorance is abandoned, clear knowing arises, the conceit 'I am' is abandoned, latent tendencies are uprooted, fetters are abandoned. Which one thing? Mindfulness immersed in the body." -AN 1.230
David2

Post by David2 »

Who needs jokes if you can smile without jokes? :smile:

A video about "buddhism and humour" which just came into my mind:
daverupa

Post by daverupa »

David2 wrote:A video about "buddhism and humour" which just came into my mind:
The monk in the video had the answer I usually give, but in greater detail and with many more examples. Delightful.
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

Some of the respected teachers I've seen giving offline talks and laughing and and using humour, certainly aren't doing things all wrong in my opinion - I find that idea impossible to even consider. I'm a lay practitioner anyway so I don't see the need to be walking around with a long face, afraid to have a laugh at something I find funny.

Ajahn Sumedho giggles and laughs at different points when giving his teachings. Ajahn Amaro has had a big smile on his face every time I've seen him .... and Tibetan teachers often use humour to illustrate a point and sometimes laugh merrily at their own jokes.

Personally I think we all need to relax and lighten up a little !

:alien:
manas

Post by manas »

Kirksa, Aloka - I value your input. I think you have understood the intention behind this topic. :jumping:

*sigh* as for the other replies, look - metta to you both, but - that wasn't the intention of this topic...all that the monk says is quite true, but I wasn't really looking to analyze humour as such...thanks anyway, though :namaste:

Personally, I used to be too serious about life. Really. It did not make me easy to be around, by the way! Even if you are nice person, etc, if you are just too serious all of the time, it is draining. We do need to lighten up. I've heard that Ajahn Chah had quite a sense of humour. I can remember (then) Ajahn Jagaro saying that LP Chah's nickname for him was 'the snail'... Are people going to accuse LP Chah of harsh speech? Of course not, and I can tell you why - cos he was only kidding! It was meant in fun and not in a mean way.

I hope everyone noticed that I prefaced my request with an appreciation of the importance of what we do, for ourselves and others. I'm aware of that. But if I'm going to walk this Path long-term, not just for one year, two years, but for a lifetime...I will need to be relaxed, easy going, and comfortable in my own skin - much like Ajahn Chah seems to be in this YouTube vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Exb-9vO1FF8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That's more than just a beatific smile on LP Chah's face...he looks like he's quite bemused by the situation in that first scene. There are other places where he chuckles as well, even while discussing quite a profound subject (Conventional vs Ultimate reality).

NEWSFLASH: ENLIGHTENED THERAVADIN BUDDHIST MASTER DISPLAYS SENSE OF HUMOUR!!! :o

Ok, back on topic: :focus:

Q: How many Zen Masters does it take to change a light bulb?

A: Two. One to change the light bulb, and the other to not change the light bulb.

Q: How many Californians does it take to change a light bulb?

A: Six. One to turn the bulb, one for support, and four to relate to the experience.

Q: How many Psychiatrists does it take to change a light bulb?

A: Only one, but the bulb has got to really WANT to change.

Q: How many software people does it take to screw in a light bulb?

A: None. That's a hardware problem.

Q: How many Roman Catholics does it take change a light bulb?

A: What do you mean, 'change'???

:tongue:
To the Buddha-refuge i go; to the Dhamma-refuge i go; to the Sangha-refuge i go.
manas

Post by manas »

Aloka wrote:Image
:D ...sometimes I wonder how my cat and I might have been related in a distant lifetime, who knows maybe Aeons ago...She's very possessive of me, loves me but also bites me occasionally; I'm thinking she might have been a wife :tongue:
manas

Post by manas »

kirk5a wrote:I've been recently coming up with what my girlfriend calls "Suburban Dad Jokes." They're really dumb, so don't say I didn't warn you...

What's it called when two antelope want to run off and get married but their parents stop them?

Cantaloupe.
:rofl:

Not bad at all! Sounds much like the kind of jokes me and my kids invent. :)

If you thought yours was bad, wait:

Q: Why did the Queen want to play cards in the lavatory?
A: So she could get a Royal Flush.
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

Here's something, though the funniest aspect is seeing an irreverent try-hard attempt to tell HHDL a "Buddhist joke".

Where they find such people to host TV shows I have no idea. :roll:

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
manas

Post by manas »

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings,

Here's something, though the funniest aspect is seeing an irreverent try-hard attempt to tell HHDL a "Buddhist joke"

Where they find such people to host TV shows I have no idea. :roll:

Metta,
Retro. :)
lol..well, methinks that joke would have been better put to an Advaita Vedantist instead - and with a more thorough command of the subtleties of English! :lol:

But, thx and keep em coming! :D
Ben

Post by Ben »

manasikara wrote:
Aloka wrote:Image
:D ...sometimes I wonder how my cat and I might have been related in a distant lifetime, who knows maybe Aeons ago...She's very possessive of me, loves me but also bites me occasionally; I'm thinking she might have been a wife :tongue:
Hmmm....I wouldn't go there.

Anyway, you might like to know that we have a 'jokes' thread.
Here it is:
http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.ph ... kes#p85570" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
ground

Post by ground »

David2 wrote:A video about "buddhism and humour" which just came into my mind:
Very good. "The hell of laughter" should be kept in mind ... to be mindful of avoiding senseless speech.

Kind regards
manas

Post by manas »

...friend TMingyur,
should I let the dhamma teachers who use humour know? Or maybe they already know that it's intention that really counts, and the condition of the heart...?

Shall we send a message to the Pure Abodes, to Ven LP Chah? He used humour quite a bit...and that's only in case he was not totally Unbound, in which case, it's too late!

I honestly can't see anyone who abstains from: killing, lying, stealing, intoxicants, and illicit sex - but who has the occasional laugh - going to hell for it.

I for one am not interested in keeping any of the hells in mind... I'll stick with kaya, vedana, citta and dhamma, and keep them in mind...so, thanks but no thanks :anjali:

Anyway, I now feel that maybe a Theravadan forum is an inappropriate place for this (simple light-hearted humour)...and I won't be trying it again...let me state again, my intention was innocent enough...oh well.

:hello: Mods - let's call it a day on this one!
Ben

Post by Ben »

manasikara wrote: Anyway, I now feel that maybe a Theravadan forum is an inappropriate place for this (simple light-hearted humour)...and I won't be trying it again...let me state again, my intention was innocent enough...oh well.
Its not inappropriate at all. You're welcome here, as are your lines of enquiry, desire for companionship and humour amongst friends!
Don't be put off by some responses.
As far as I am aware, there is no "Hell of Laughter" within the Theravada. I'm pretty certain its a Vajrayana fabrication.
manasikara wrote: :hello: Mods - let's call it a day on this one!
It's your call and I will respect and oblige your request. Keep in mind the jokes thread I linked to earlier. In future if any post you feel is inappropriate - hit the report button and we will investigate.
kind regards

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..