Prayers for SATTVA

Pictures of revered teachers, places, rupas, temples, bhikkhus, shrine rooms etc. that bring inspiration to our members. Pilgrimage advice etc.

Re: could you pray or chant for me?

Postby Tex » Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:15 pm

Best wishes to you, sattva. Hope it all works out for the best.
"The serene and peaceful mind is the true epitome of human achievement."-- Ajahn Chah, Living Dhamma

"To reach beyond fear and danger we must sharpen and widen our vision. We have to pierce through the deceptions that lull us into a comfortable complacency, to take a straight look down into the depths of our existence, without turning away uneasily or running after distractions." -- Bhikkhu Bodhi
Tex

Postby sattva » Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:43 am

I don't feel particularly courageous. I am looking smack in the face of what is and what might be. It has to be done or i die soon. I somehow don't feel like this is courage, but accepting reality.

Unless something changes, i am going to be allowed to bring a cd or mp3 player into the operating room. My zen teacher is making me a cd to listen to while i am under and my son will probably put it on an mp3 player for me. A long time zen friend is going to read the metta sutta to me on the phone before i go into surgery.
Wishing: In gladness and in safety,
May all beings be at ease.
---from the Metta Sutta
sattva

Postby Ben » Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:52 am

Dedicating my merits to you dear Louise.

May you face your surgery with equanimity and courage
May your surgery be successful
May you continue to live for a long time, walking with us on this most incomparable path!
"One cannot step twice into the same river, nor can one grasp any mortal substance in a stable condition, but it scatters and again gathers; it forms and dissolves, and approaches and departs."

- Hereclitus

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR
Buddhist Life Stories of Australia

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com
Ben
Site Admin

Postby sattva » Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:41 pm

POSTPONED:

Hi everyone, and hold the chants/prayers, please. Surgery has been pontponed due to a cold that became asthmatic bronchitus and now pneumonia. The doctor who nixed the operation has me on medication, but won't see me again until July 6th (he is on vacation next week). In the meantime, i will see my primary care doctor next week to check my condition. Anyway, the operation won't occur until
after the 6th. The cardiolist who diagnosed all this wanted the bypass done within 2 weeks. It will be at least 4 as it is going now.

My mom used to say, "If it isn't one thing, it's another!" Sure seems true to me lately.
---from the Metta Sutta
sattva

Postby Modus.Ponens » Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:23 am

I'm sorry to hear this sattva :( . I realy hope everything works out well.

metta and karuna.
And the Blessed One addressed the bhikkhus, saying: "Behold now, bhikkhus, I exhort you: All compounded things are subject to vanish. Strive with earnestness!"
Modus.Ponens

Postby Ben » Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:49 am

sattva wrote:POSTPONED:

Hi everyone, and hold the chants/prayers, please. Surgery has been pontponed due to a cold that became asthmatic bronchitus and now pneumonia. The doctor who nixed the operation has me on medication, but won't see me again until July 6th (he is on vacation next week). In the meantime, i will see my primary care doctor next week to check my condition. Anyway, the operation won't occur until
after the 6th. The cardiolist who diagnosed all this wanted the bypass done within 2 weeks. It will be at least 4 as it is going now.

My mom used to say, "If it isn't one thing, it's another!" Sure seems true to me lately.

Sattva, I know this sounds like a setback but I feel better that you are waiting until after your bronchitis and pneumonia. You are under medical supervision during this period and of course you have the support and well-wishes of the far-flung Dhamma community which I hope brings you no small measure of comfort during this, understandably, very stressful time. If, or when, times get bleak - remember to recollect the qualities of the Triple Gem. May the Triple Gem give you comfort.
With metta

Ben
"One cannot step twice into the same river, nor can one grasp any mortal substance in a stable condition, but it scatters and again gathers; it forms and dissolves, and approaches and departs."

- Hereclitus

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

Ben
Site Admin

Postby Ben » Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:40 am

For Sattva:

IMGP4994.jpg
IMGP4994.jpg (199.86 KiB) Viewed 1380 times

Shwedagon Paya before dawn meditation early Dec 2010.

IMGP5095.jpg
IMGP5095.jpg (315.35 KiB) Viewed 1380 times

2000-year old Buddha image being regilded by upasakas, Mahamuni Temple, Mandalay Jan 4 2011.

A Meditators Tools A Study Guide on the Ten Recollections by Thanissaro Bhikkhu
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/stud ... ml#summary

With Metta

Ben

- Hereclitus

Ben
Site Admin

Postby Kusala » Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:52 am

sattva wrote:i am having quaduple bypass surgery, probably sometime this week. I will ask a friend here to post time, date, and length of the sugery. For those who feel so inclined, I would appreciate any prayers or chanting done during the surgery in me behalf. Thank you. I am including a photo (terrrible one lol) of me squinting in the sun. Look so darn rugged in it, but it is current)
Love and good wishes to you all,
sattva louise

"Derived from the Book of Protection (Paritta Sutta) from the Pali canon, the Jaya Mangala Gatha is sung here in a rare recording by the Mahabodhi Society of India in original Pali. The Jaya Mangala Gatha is a chant recommended by the Buddha to destroy negativity and to generate auspiciousness...It is said that these verses if chanted with a clear and pure intention are helpful in protecting the seeker by attracting the Good around."

Homage to the Buddha
Thus indeed, is that Blessed One: He is the Holy One, fully enlightened, endowed with clear vision and virtuous conduct, sublime, the Knower of the worlds, the incomparable leader of men to be tamed, the teacher of gods and men, enlightened and blessed.

Homage to the Teachings
The Dhamma of the Blessed One is perfectly expounded; to be seen here and now; not delayed in
time; inviting one to come and see; onward leading (to Nibbana); to be known by the wise, each for himself.
Kusala

Postby octathlon » Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:07 pm

Kusala wrote:"Derived from the Book of Protection (Paritta Sutta) from the Pali canon, the Jaya Mangala Gatha is sung here in a rare recording by the Mahabodhi Society of India in original Pali. The Jaya Mangala Gatha is a chant recommended by the Buddha to destroy negativity and to generate auspiciousness...It is said that these verses if chanted with a clear and pure intention are helpful in protecting the seeker by attracting the Good around."

And here is a .pdf of the Jaya Mangala Gatha text including English translation. :reading:

:heart:
octathlon

Postby sattva » Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:18 pm

Thank you, Ben for the photos. How impressive! Thanks for the video, Kusala and octathlon and Ben for the links!

to everyone :anjali: :group:
---from the Metta Sutta
sattva

Postby plwk » Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:30 am

Here's my favourite version...

Original link here
Bhikkhus, if you develop and make much this one thing,
it invariably leads to weariness, cessation, appeasement, realization and extinction.
What is it? It is recollecting the Enlightened One.
If this single thing is recollected and made much,
it invariably leads to weariness, cessation, appeasement, realization and extinction.

Anguttara-Nikaya: Ekanipata: Ekadhammapali: Pañhamavagga
VSM VMM WBB TBHT WTBT My Page
plwk

Postby octathlon » Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:25 pm

Sattva,

How are you doing? I hope your lungs are recovering and you are doing better and able to have your surgery soon. :heart:
octathlon

Postby sattva » Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:27 am

octathlon wrote:Sattva,

How are you doing? I hope your lungs are recovering and you are doing better and able to have your surgery soon. :heart:

Thanks for asking! I saw my primary care physician on Wednesday and he prescribed a second round of antibiotics to take after the first round was finished. I started the new round, a different antibiotic, yesterday. So cross your fingers that this one helps. I see the doctor that nixed the operation on Wednesday.
Metta
---from the Metta Sutta
sattva

Postby Ben » Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:29 am

All the very best, Sattva!

- Hereclitus

Ben
Site Admin

Postby Aloka » Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:55 am

Lots of good wishes and metta for you, Sattva :heart:

:buddha1:

from Aloka
Aloka

Re: Prayers for SATTVA

Postby mudra » Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:31 am

any updates on Sattva's condition?
mudra

Postby cooran » Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:53 am

Hello mudra,

In this thread:
Could you pray or chant for me

sattva wrote:
octathlon wrote:Sattva,

Thanks for asking! I saw my primary care physician on Wednesday and he prescribed a second round of antibiotics to take after the first round was finished. I started the new round, a different antibiotic, yesterday. So cross your fingers that this one helps. I see the doctor that nixed the operation on Wednesday.
Metta

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=8708

with metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
cooran

Postby oops! » Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:56 pm

be well sattva. :anjali:
oops!

Postby fig tree » Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:00 am

sattva wrote:Surgery has been pontponed due to a cold that became asthmatic bronchitus and now pneumonia.

She has gone to the hospital so that they can give her an intravenous "drip" to help with these extra problems... so that surgery will then hopefully be possible.

Fig Tree
fig tree

Postby Ben » Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:20 am

Thinking of you, Sattva!

- Hereclitus

Ben
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Shrine Room