theravadan and shikantaza

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible.

theravadan and shikantaza

Postby befriend » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:53 pm

Hi everyone,
i really enjoy doing shikantaza, the zen meditation, because i can do it during daily activities all day if i wanted to. but i dont want it to damage my progress with the brahma viharas. are these two practices ok to combine? ive heard shikantaza is a mixture of samatha and vipassana so i dont think it would be bad to practice the brahma viharas with shikantaza but i am not sure. thank you. metta, Befriend
befriend

Re: theravadan and shikantaza

Postby Ben » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:59 pm

Greeting befriend,

Metta Bhavana is often used in conjunction with Vipassana (Satipatthana) within the Theravada as they are complementary. I am not familiar with the zen practice of shikentaza and nor am I qualified to indicate to you whethr you can practice the two. Perhaps it is a question best put to your teacher or guide.
kind regards

Ben
"One cannot step twice into the same river, nor can one grasp any mortal substance in a stable condition, but it scatters and again gathers; it forms and dissolves, and approaches and departs."

- Hereclitus

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global Relief

Buddhist Life Stories of Australia

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com
Ben
Site Admin

Re: theravadan and shikantaza

Postby pilgrim » Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:12 am

Imho, shikantaza is a Mahayana practice that is closest to traditional Theravada mediation practices, particularly cittanupassana or watching the mind, one of the 4 objects of Satipatthana practice. I see no reason why the brahma-viharas cannot be practised separately but in conjunction with shikantaza, just as it is practised together with various meditation objects within Theravada practice.
pilgrim

Return to Discovering Theravāda