New Global Moderator.... Cooran!

The latest news and updates about the Dhamma Wheel forum.
cooran

Re: New Global Moderator.... Cooran!

Post by cooran »

Hello all,

Thank-you for your metta and well-wishing!

It is good to have this opportunity to serve the Dhamma. I am thankful for such Kalyanamitta , well-versed in the Dhamma - from whom I can learn, and hopefully, support as well.

With metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings MP,
Modus.Ponens wrote:Having said this, I hope that the policy of freedom in this forum continues despite this.
More specifically, it's a policy of endeavouring to execute the Terms Of Service in a consistent fashion, and Cooran will be assisting with this.

If you feel that there's a member of staff not doing that, regardless of who it is, you may enact the following...

Dhamma Wheel complaints procedure
http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1846" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Assaji

Post by Assaji »

Greetings, Cooran!
Dan74

Post by Dan74 »

Screen shot 2011-06-21 at 4.31.30 PM.jpg
Screen shot 2011-06-21 at 4.31.30 PM.jpg (49.75 KiB) Viewed 4200 times
Seriously I remember what MP is talking about and hope that this forum being as it is a very different creature to E-Sangha continues its friendly helpful and liberal attitude to its members. And I trust it will. Welcome Cooran!
_/|\_
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Dan74 wrote:
Screen shot 2011-06-21 at 4.31.30 PM.jpg
Seriously I remember what MP is talking about and hope that this forum being as it is a very different creature to E-Sangha continues its friendly helpful and liberal attitude to its members. And I trust it will. Welcome Cooran!
If it helps, I was also banned from e-sandbox.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Ben

Post by Ben »

Hi Dan

THat 'banned' stamp is so cool. However, I and I am sure my colleagues, would never use that - except maybe for one serial pest.
And thank you, my colleagues and I have worked hard to ensure that DW is very different to e-Sangha. Dhamma Wheel truely is a place for a healthy, collaborative Dhamma discussion.
kind regards

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Sanghamitta

Post by Sanghamitta »

Modus.Ponens wrote:I'm sorry to break the party here but I think it's a bad move. Cooran was a moderator at e-sangha and I remember those days where I had to tip-toe around her in order not to get censured for everything I said. She was a very bad moderator. She is a good contributor here and not fit to be a moderator given her past. Having said this, I hope that the policy of freedom in this forum continues despite this.
I have just come across this. And after a brief debate with myself concerning whether it would be better to let sleeping dogs lie, I have decided that it should not go unremarked on.
Cooran was one of the very best moderators on E Sangha because of her insistence on replies being attributable to the Pali Canon whenever views purporting to be those of the Buddha were floated.
Or whenever there was a request for the authoritative view.

More strength to her elbow !
The going for refuge is the door of entrance to the teachings of the Buddha.

Bhikku Bodhi.
Modus.Ponens

Post by Modus.Ponens »

Sanghamitta wrote:
Modus.Ponens wrote:I'm sorry to break the party here but I think it's a bad move. Cooran was a moderator at e-sangha and I remember those days where I had to tip-toe around her in order not to get censured for everything I said. She was a very bad moderator. She is a good contributor here and not fit to be a moderator given her past. Having said this, I hope that the policy of freedom in this forum continues despite this.
I have just come across this. And after a brief debate with myself concerning whether it would be better to let sleeping dogs lie, I have decided that it should not go unremarked on.
Cooran was one of the very best moderators on E Sangha because of her insistence on replies being attributable to the Pali Canon whenever views purporting to be those of the Buddha were floated.
Or whenever there was a request for the authoritative view.

More strength to her elbow !
I do not wish to discuss this. I said what I felt I had to say and that's it. My hope in writing that critique is that this forum doesn't become like the Theravada section of E-Sangha. I have a good amount of confidence in the older staff, in that the forum will remain a place of freedom from censorship.
'This is peace, this is exquisite — the resolution of all fabrications; the relinquishment of all acquisitions; the ending of craving; dispassion; cessation; Unbinding.' - Jhana Sutta
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

Congratulations! :clap:

Kevin
cooran

Post by cooran »

Hello Sanghamitta, Virgo, all,

Thank you for your kind words – but truly, I need no defence. :group:

What has happened is that in a ‘Welcome’ thread someone is unwelcoming … does this matter? Is this important? No.
The post belongs to the author and simply reflects that person’s internal world and perceptions, that’s all.

I particularly like this article:
Right Speech Piyadassi Mahathera
http://www.budsas.org/ebud/ebdha090.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And, of course, there is the Buddha’s teaching on how to handle criticism and insult:
SN 7.2 Akkosa Sutta: Insult Thanissaro Bhikkhu
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

with metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
Sanghamitta

Post by Sanghamitta »

:anjali:
The going for refuge is the door of entrance to the teachings of the Buddha.

Bhikku Bodhi.
octathlon

Post by octathlon »

Congratulations, Cooran!
:thumbsup:
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings MP,
Modus.Ponens wrote:I do not wish to discuss this. I said what I felt I had to say and that's it.
I appreciate the courage that underlies standing up for what you think is important. A healthy community or group requires people to have the courage to make clear their concerns for the community, even if there's a degree of personal risk associated with making such comments.

As someone who actively did that at E-Sangha when I was a global moderator (and because of doing so was eventually tossed out by the Vajradmin) it's something I'm acutely aware of. So coming from that background, bringing that philosophy here to Dhamma Wheel and founding this forum on those principles, I hope you'll be able to take the assurance that I believe Cooran will do a very good job in her new role, and I know that despite any reservations, people will give her every chance to demonstrate her capacity and ability.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Ben

Post by Ben »

I've known Cooran both online and in-person since I first started as a member at e-Sangha in 2003. I know Cooran who is a dedicated practitioner of the Theravada. She has attended many retreats, been on yattra to the four holy places in North India and Nepal, visited Myanmar, attended the Dhamma Study Group in Bangkok with Sujin, attended ten-day courses in the tradition of SN Goenka, is a student of Patrick Kearney, and has serves the Sri Lankan community and Sangha associated with Dhammagiri forest monastery in SE Queensland. Chris has also been very active on online Buddhist discussion groups inc. e-Sangha, Dhamma Study Group and here at Dhamma Wheel since I have known her. Chris brings to the role of global moderator a wealth of experience and knowledge concerning the Dhamma, integrating Dhamma into daily life and is very familiar with online Buddhist discussion groups as both a member and moderator.

One word about e-Sangha...
There were a lot of people in moderator roles at e-Sangha that did a great deal of good work in serving those new to Buddhism and the general membership. The people that impressed me the most were those who had a deep commitment to serving others and got on and did it with a great deal of compassion and insight and without the need for acknowledgement or fuss. Chris was not afraid to take on the autocratic, paranoid-schizophrenic administration and be the voice of reason or advocate on behalf of a member. There were a lot of really good things going on behind the scenes that never came to light.

So, please join me in welcoming Chris to the role of moderator. I can think of no better qualified person within our midst.
with Metta

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Modus.Ponens

Post by Modus.Ponens »

Hello retro.

Thank you. I'm more at ease now.

Be well.
'This is peace, this is exquisite — the resolution of all fabrications; the relinquishment of all acquisitions; the ending of craving; dispassion; cessation; Unbinding.' - Jhana Sutta