New Global Moderator.... Cooran!

The latest news and updates about the Dhamma Wheel forum.
alan

Re: New Global Moderator.... Cooran!

Post by alan »

An excellent choice. Thanks to Cooran for taking on the task!
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

Modus.Ponens wrote:
Sanghamitta wrote:
Modus.Ponens wrote:I'm sorry to break the party here but I think it's a bad move. Cooran was a moderator at e-sangha and I remember those days where I had to tip-toe around her in order not to get censured for everything I said. She was a very bad moderator. She is a good contributor here and not fit to be a moderator given her past. Having said this, I hope that the policy of freedom in this forum continues despite this.
I have just come across this. And after a brief debate with myself concerning whether it would be better to let sleeping dogs lie, I have decided that it should not go unremarked on.
Cooran was one of the very best moderators on E Sangha because of her insistence on replies being attributable to the Pali Canon whenever views purporting to be those of the Buddha were floated.
Or whenever there was a request for the authoritative view.

More strength to her elbow !
I do not wish to discuss this. I said what I felt I had to say and that's it. My hope in writing that critique is that this forum doesn't become like the Theravada section of E-Sangha. I have a good amount of confidence in the older staff, in that the forum will remain a place of freedom from censorship.
I loved the Theravada forum on E-Sangha. I especially liked the fact that even though Namdrol chimed in often, he only expressed his opinion and would note that it was not consistent with Theravada view. He didn't push things and gave people a safe haven even though he disagreed with their understanding sometimes. I believe the 'Theravadin' mods there did a great job as well.

That is in the past though. This is a different forum and a different time. I think Chris (Cooran) had hard work at E-Sangha keeping the loopies out of the Theravada forum and trying to keep it a safe haven for people that actually revered and respected the texts. She played the role well, not as an authoratarian but as a public servant-- a servant to those who wanted the Theravada Forum to be what it was described at in it's Forum description. Let's not forget that people in positions of "governance" are really public servants. They serve to make sure (in places like Dhamma Wheel) that the Free-for-all is free for all, and that the Abhidhamma forum, for instance, is a place where people won't chime in with uneccessary criticism of Abhidhamma and so on. It is easy to look from the outside in and make judgements, but far more difficult to put yourself in the shoes of someone else and see if they are really doing the right thing, keeping in mind the specific and objective role they have to undertake. Anyway, let's not all be so serious anyhow. :)

Again, that is then and this is now. Let's not judge Cooran before she even has a chance to act. What happened to being in the moment?!

Kevin
rowyourboat

Post by rowyourboat »

Ben wrote:I've known Cooran both online and in-person since I first started as a member at e-Sangha in 2003. I know Cooran who is a dedicated practitioner of the Theravada. She has attended many retreats, been on yattra to the four holy places in North India and Nepal, visited Myanmar, attended the Dhamma Study Group in Bangkok with Sujin, attended ten-day courses in the tradition of SN Goenka, is a student of Patrick Kearney, and has serves the Sri Lankan community and Sangha associated with Dhammagiri forest monastery in SE Queensland. Chris has also been very active on online Buddhist discussion groups inc. e-Sangha, Dhamma Study Group and here at Dhamma Wheel since I have known her. Chris brings to the role of global moderator a wealth of experience and knowledge concerning the Dhamma, integrating Dhamma into daily life and is very familiar with online Buddhist discussion groups as both a member and moderator.

One word about e-Sangha...
There were a lot of people in moderator roles at e-Sangha that did a great deal of good work in serving those new to Buddhism and the general membership. The people that impressed me the most were those who had a deep commitment to serving others and got on and did it with a great deal of compassion and insight and without the need for acknowledgement or fuss. Chris was not afraid to take on the autocratic, paranoid-schizophrenic administration and be the voice of reason or advocate on behalf of a member. There were a lot of really good things going on behind the scenes that never came to light.

So, please join me in welcoming Chris to the role of moderator. I can think of no better qualified person within our midst.
with Metta

Ben
Nice one, Ben. Maybe this post should have been the first one in this thread :)

Congrats again, Chris. I hope you make DW a more welcoming place for the fairer sex!

with metta

Matheesha
With Metta

Karuna
Mudita
& Upekkha
Mawkish1983

Post by Mawkish1983 »

Congratulations, Cooran :)
manas

Post by manas »

I've not been to E-sangha, so I can't relate anything about them. But I've been to other internet forums, and I found that it was often quite personal, in that so long as you got along well with the mods, you did ok; but if you rubbed them up the wrong way, they started to make life difficult for you (well, your online life, I mean). Here, by way of contrast, we have sane and rational mods, who as far as I can see apply the rules judiciously, without partiality. And so I also welcome you to this important, and challenging role. My thanks to you (and to all the mods and admin people, without whom this whole site could not function)!

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
:hello: :hello: :hello: :hello: :hello: :hello: :hello: :hello: :hello: :hello: :hello: :hello: :hello: :hello: :hello: :hello: :hello: :hello: :hello:
To the Buddha-refuge i go; to the Dhamma-refuge i go; to the Sangha-refuge i go.
Modus.Ponens

Post by Modus.Ponens »

manasikara wrote:I've not been to E-sangha, so I can't relate anything about them. But I've been to other internet forums, and I found that it was often quite personal, in that so long as you got along well with the mods, you did ok; but if you rubbed them up the wrong way, they started to make life difficult for you (well, your online life, I mean). Here, by way of contrast, we have sane and rational mods, who as far as I can see apply the rules judiciously, without partiality. And so I also welcome you to this important, and challenging role. My thanks to you (and to all the mods and admin people, without whom this whole site could not function)!

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
:hello: :hello: :hello: :hello: :hello: :hello: :hello: :hello: :hello: :hello: :hello: :hello: :hello: :hello: :hello: :hello: :hello: :hello: :hello:
To be fair, strictly speaking of cooran and me, she wasn't personal about it.
'This is peace, this is exquisite — the resolution of all fabrications; the relinquishment of all acquisitions; the ending of craving; dispassion; cessation; Unbinding.' - Jhana Sutta
cooran

Post by cooran »

Thanks MP - this is one of the best birthday presents I received today. :hug:
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
Modus.Ponens

Post by Modus.Ponens »

You're welcome. Happy birthday!
'This is peace, this is exquisite — the resolution of all fabrications; the relinquishment of all acquisitions; the ending of craving; dispassion; cessation; Unbinding.' - Jhana Sutta
Ytrog

Post by Ytrog »

Good luck Cooran :clap:
Suffering is asking from life what it can never give you.
mindfulness, bliss and beyond (page 8) wrote:Do not linger on the past. Do not keep carrying around coffins full of dead moments
If you see any unskillful speech (or other action) from me let me know, so I can learn from it.
cooran

Post by cooran »

Thanks Ytrog! appreciate!

with metta
Chris
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
Tex

Post by Tex »

A very worthy choice! Congrats, Chris!
"To reach beyond fear and danger we must sharpen and widen our vision. We have to pierce through the deceptions that lull us into a comfortable complacency, to take a straight look down into the depths of our existence, without turning away uneasily or running after distractions." -- Bhikkhu Bodhi

"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -- Heraclitus
cooran

Post by cooran »

Thank you Tex!

with metta
Chris
EmptyShadow

Post by EmptyShadow »

Congrats, Cooran!
I dont know much about the role of the moderators but you are one the best contributors in this forum and i'm always happy to read your replies and the links you usually provide are very helpful. :smile:
cooran

Post by cooran »

Thanks ES!

with metta
Chris