Pronouncing l and ḷ (with a dot)

Explore the ancient language of the Tipitaka and Theravāda commentaries

Moderator: Mahavihara moderator

Pronouncing l and ḷ (with a dot)

Postby Stephen K » Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:01 pm

In my book it says that the Pali l is pronounced like the l in sell while the Pali (l with a dot under it) is pronounced like the l in felt; however I don't see a difference between the ls in sell and felt. If there were a difference it would be between e.g. "sell" and "lot". So what's the difference between l and ?
My philosophy is simple: saying 'yes' to the positive and 'no' to the negative; because the positive is so much better than the negative.
Stephen K

Re: Pronouncing l and ḷ (with a dot)

Postby daverupa » Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:00 pm

l and ḷ: there is virtually no difference between these sounds; l is pronounced with the tongue close to or touching the teeth; ḷ with the tongue touching the roof of mouth.

<source>
    "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.
- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
daverupa

Re: Pronouncing l and ḷ (with a dot)

Postby Stephen K » Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:07 pm

Thank you!
My philosophy is simple: saying 'yes' to the positive and 'no' to the negative; because the positive is so much better than the negative.
Stephen K

Return to Pali