How Insistent Are You in Observing Your Fifth Precept?

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.
Sanghamitta

Re: How Insistent Are You in Observing Your Fifth Precept?

Post by Sanghamitta »

Not an intentional :stirthepot: Bodom. Just a fact. We have a range of responses to alcohol. For those with a problem or for those who become heedless its a no-no.
I can and probably will go weeks before another pint or glass of wine.
My monk mentor knows. He has not suggested drumming me out of the Temple.
The going for refuge is the door of entrance to the teachings of the Buddha.

Bhikku Bodhi.
bodom

Post by bodom »

Sanghamitta wrote:Not an intentional :stirthepot: Bodom. Just a fact. We have a range of responses to alcohol. For those with a problem or for those who become heedless its a no-no.
I can and probably will go weeks before another pint or glass of wine.
My monk mentor knows. He has not suggested drumming me out of the Temple.
I didn't mean to suggest it was intentional. Its just a bit of a controversial statement to make on a Buddhist forum especially when you emphasize the "AT ALL". I just assumed that there would be some strong opinions on the matter forthcoming.

:anjali:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
Sanghamitta

Post by Sanghamitta »

People are of course most welcome to their strong opinions on THEIR interpretation of the precept.
I reached my own working view some decades ago.

:anjali:
The going for refuge is the door of entrance to the teachings of the Buddha.

Bhikku Bodhi.
farmer

Post by farmer »

Option A for a little over a year.

I was a apprehensive about how this would work out socially, but I have been pleasantly surprised to find that the world is pretty accommodating to non-drinkers.

The thing that keeps me going with the precepts is a positive sort of peer pressure. I want to live up to the standard set by the teachers I admire. Keeping the five precepts helps me feel that I am a member of a global community of practitioners, even when I am surrounded by non-Buddhists (which is 99% of the time).
cooran

Post by cooran »

Hello all,

FYI - a previous thread on the 5th Precept:
http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=87" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

with metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
octathlon

Post by octathlon »

Lucky for me I don't care for alcohol so I was "observing" this precept even before I had heard of it, except for a few occasions. I did indulge in another intoxicant for quite a while but gave that one up many years ago. I consider myself very fortunate that I don't crave alcohol, as I have seen how difficult it is to deal with for those who have issues with it. May all beings be free from the suffering caused by alcohol.
danieLion

Post by danieLion »

A
Thales

Post by Thales »

F. I find that having a few drinks, when alone and in a quiet setting, allows me to eliminate excess mental commentary and "just experience." It is particularly pleasant when watching movies, listening to music, and reading poetry. I typically do this a few times a year. Aside from that I will also drink socially, but never more than 1 or 2.
"Just as the ocean has a single taste, the taste of salt, so this Dhamma and Discipline has a single taste, the taste of release."

~Ud 5.5
Jason

Post by Jason »

"Sabbe dhamma nalam abhinivesaya" (AN 7.58).

leaves in the hand (Buddhist-related blog)
leaves in the forest (non-Buddhist related blog)
Maitri

Post by Maitri »

A. Not even a sip of alcohol, but allow it to be used as supplementary ingredient in cooking

I don't like alcohol at all, so it is easy for me. Nothing I hate more than being sick and/or feeling dizzy! :toilet: But, I've had some great meals with a wine sauce.

Smoked pot for a bit in college, but got bored of it and have not used it for some years now.
"Upon a heap of rubbish in the road-side ditch blooms a lotus, fragrant and pleasing.
Even so, on the rubbish heap of blinded mortals the disciple of the Supremely Enlightened One shines resplendent in wisdom." Dhammapada: Pupphavagga

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/
2600htz

Post by 2600htz »

C. Do entertain some small amount of drinks in social gathering with friends, family or business.

I use to think an occasional drink was at most not being able to practice in the next day. But last time it was stunning to see how the practice was kinda reseted and altered for around 10-12 days after drinking...
Ytrog

Post by Ytrog »

I was jus thinking about the use of alcoholic beverages in food. I you cook it all of the alcohol should be evaporated away, so that wouldn't really be a problem.
Suffering is asking from life what it can never give you.
mindfulness, bliss and beyond (page 8) wrote:Do not linger on the past. Do not keep carrying around coffins full of dead moments
If you see any unskillful speech (or other action) from me let me know, so I can learn from it.
manas

Post by manas »

2600htz wrote:C. Do entertain some small amount of drinks in social gathering with friends, family or business.

I use to think an occasional drink was at most not being able to practice in the next day. But last time it was stunning to see how the practice was kinda reseted and altered for around 10-12 days after drinking...
I agree, and I find the same goes for indulgence in harsh or otherwise unwholesome speech. I had a night of much joking and laughter with my brother, and it was heaps of fun, but much of the humour was not very wholesome. The next day, there were ripples in the mind which were clearly evident during meditation practice. The ripples manifested themselves as disturbing thoughts, and daydreams. Very annoying, and something I did not used to notice, but now I notice that whatever we put into our mind doesn't just disappear overnight into oblivion. It's recorded...we have to be careful.
To the Buddha-refuge i go; to the Dhamma-refuge i go; to the Sangha-refuge i go.
Terasi

Post by Terasi »

A.

I remember when I first joined this forum a bit more than a year ago, I had 1.5 boxes of beer in my living room. They are still there, but I didn't touch not even a single drop. But I use cooking wine, and I buy cooked food quite often. I still eat cakes with alcohol though, because they won't make me heedless (not more than how heedless I am normally), and cakes make you full before you much enough to be intoxicated. Not with drinks though, it's slippery! But I have never had any problem with alcohol, I never tasted any when I grew up in a non-alcoholic background, so it's easy.

Speaking of cakes, I feel a bit embarrased even now. Few months ago, I brought a large chocolate cake to our centre for a celebration. I've never eaten that kind of cake, and unknown to me, the middle is soaked in wine. There were some monks attending the celebration, they had lunch before us. I remember wondering the cake was almost untouched, only one slice was taken. After the celebration, we found the truth. Can't imagine that one unsuspecting monk who cut the cake and put it in his pata... I am sure he didn't eat it as soon as he tasted the wine, but still.....
pedro1985

Post by pedro1985 »

I do not drink a sip of alcohol, and do not use it in cooking too.

But recently I discovered that alcohol is an ingredient in the toothpaste I use to brush my teeth :o

Not sure if that counts...