Monastic Rules

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
fragrant herbs

Monastic Rules

Post by fragrant herbs »

Can someone tell me where in the Pali Canon is the list of monastic rules? I know that monks have over 200 and nuns over 300. I once read the books that Thanissaro Bhikkhu published. Thank you.
Goofaholix

Re: Monastic Rules

Post by Goofaholix »

fragrant herbs wrote:Can someone tell me where in the Pali Canon is the list of monastic rules? I know that monks have over 200 and nuns over 300. I once read the books that Thanissaro Bhikkhu published. Thank you.
The Vinaya Pitaka.
Pronouns (no self / not self)
“Peace is within oneself to be found in the same place as agitation and suffering. It is not found in a forest or on a hilltop, nor is it given by a teacher. Where you experience suffering, you can also find freedom from suffering. Trying to run away from suffering is actually to run toward it.”
― Ajahn Chah
fragrant herbs

Post by fragrant herbs »

thanks so much. now i can look it up. :anjali:
cooran

Post by cooran »

Thank you, Bhante! :bow:

with metta and respect,
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
fragrant herbs

Post by fragrant herbs »

Thank you so much Bhikkhu Pesala. I had read both of the code books years ago when I used to attend a monastery.