Mr Goenka's speech to the United Nations

Pictures of revered teachers, places, rupas, temples, bhikkhus, shrine rooms etc. that bring inspiration to our members. Pilgrimage advice, devotion etc.
retrofuturist

Mr Goenka's speech to the United Nations

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

I hadn't seen this for ages until someone posted it over at Dharma Wheel, so I thought it warranted posting here...

:anjali:

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
bodom

Re: Mr Goenka's speech to the United Nations

Post by bodom »

Shocking speech? Not sure what was so shocking about it. Thanks for posting it Retro. Very inspiring.

Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Bodom,

Maybe it was "shocking" because they were probably focused on macro-solutions, rather than recognising that peace comes from within.

Actually, in saying that though, I think there is something in the U.N. charter to that effect.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Ben

Post by Ben »

Its a great speech. I've got it on DVD somewhere around here and haven't seen it for ages.
One of the things I love are the muslims who are looking suitably surly and downright miserable.
Modern day Falstaffs!
Thanks for posting.
kind regards

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Tex

Post by Tex »

Hadn't seen that before, thanks for posting.
"To reach beyond fear and danger we must sharpen and widen our vision. We have to pierce through the deceptions that lull us into a comfortable complacency, to take a straight look down into the depths of our existence, without turning away uneasily or running after distractions." -- Bhikkhu Bodhi

"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -- Heraclitus
ruby

Post by ruby »

Love his statement... :anjali:
nyanasuci

Post by nyanasuci »

:twothumbsup: :clap: :twothumbsup: :thumbsup: :clap: :twothumbsup: :clap: :clap: :twothumbsup: :jumping: :twothumbsup: :clap: :clap: :D :clap: :P :namaste:
Bhikkhu Hiriko - Ñāṇasuci

The experts do not say that one is a sage in this world because of view, or learning, or knowledge, Nanda.
I call them sages who wander without association, without affliction, without desire.

The Buddha, Sn.V.8.2 (1078)

http://pathpress.org | http://nanavira.org | http://ajahnchah.org
David2

Post by David2 »

Hi,
this thread is already old, but I would like to mention that there is also the whole speech online (about 15 min):
rowyourboat

Post by rowyourboat »

I guess he agrees with 'don't talk the talk, unless you walk the walk' - with his web of meditation centres he has tried to change the world- but I think true epoch ending/changing transformation comes about by the actions of a Sammasambuddha, who has the parami to do so. :anjali: :buddha1:

With metta

Matheesha
With Metta

Karuna
Mudita
& Upekkha
Sanghamitta

Post by Sanghamitta »

rowyourboat wrote:I guess he agrees with 'don't talk the talk, unless you walk the walk' - with his web of meditation centres he has tried to change the world- but I think true epoch ending/changing transformation comes about by the actions of a Sammasambuddha, who has the parami to do so. :anjali: :buddha1:

With metta

Matheesha
You cant not can you RYB ?....always with any reference to Goenka or the Burmese Method, always the passive aggression.
The going for refuge is the door of entrance to the teachings of the Buddha.

Bhikku Bodhi.
rowyourboat

Post by rowyourboat »

Hi Sanghamitta,

Since you have asked me - I'm going to try :jumping:

With metta

Matheesha
With Metta

Karuna
Mudita