PTS CDB BJT

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible.

PTS CDB BJT

Postby mirco » Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:57 am

Hi,

when it is suggested to look up S iv.217, where do I find it? SN? Sn? Which Sutta is it?

I puzzled, since there are many different abbreviation- and counting-/indexing-methods (PTS, CDB, MLDB, Pāḷi, ...) resulting from different editions.
So "S iv.217" could be "PTS Page 217", that is "SN 36.11", Rahogata Sutta.
But I not sure, since there should be informations about the six passaddhis, which I cannot find in that sutta.

So, for this one sutta , we got

S.iv.216f.
CDB ii 1270
Saṃyuttanikāyo Mahāvaggo 8.1.1.
SN 36.11.
S.52.1.

Does anyone know a source, where a correspondence of any of these systems can be seen?

I get what I give
mirco

Re: PTS CDB BJT

Postby Alexei » Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:23 am

Hi, mirco!

Correspondence can be seen here: http://suttacentral.net/disp_sutta.php? ... ubdivision

It's certainly Rahogata Sutta http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .nypo.html

And there are six passaddhis:

There are, monk, these six quietenings. In him who has attained the first absorption, speech is quietened. Having attained the second absorption, thought-conception and discursive thinking are quietened. Having attained the third absorption, rapture is quietened. Having attained the fourth absorption, inhalation and exhalation is quietened.[5] Having attained the cessation of perception and feeling, perception and feeling are quietened. In a taint-free monk greed is quietened, hatred is quietened, delusion is quietened.
Alexei

Postby tiltbillings » Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:32 am

mirco wrote:Hi,

when it is suggested to look up S iv.217, where do I find it? SN? Sn? Which Sutta is it?

I puzzled, since there are many different abbreviation- and counting-/indexing-methods (PTS, CDB, MLDB, Pāḷi, ...) resulting from different editions.
So "S iv.217" could be "PTS Page 217", that is "SN 36.11", Rahogata Sutta.
But I not sure, since there should be informations about the six passaddhis, which I cannot find in that sutta.

So, for this one sutta , we got

S.iv.216f.
CDB ii 1270
Saṃyuttanikāyo Mahāvaggo 8.1.1.
SN 36.11.
S.52.1.

Does anyone know a source, where a correspondence of any of these systems can be seen?

S.iv.216 is Samyuttaka Nikya volume four, page 216 in the PTS edition of the romanized Pali suttas. CDB ii 1270 is the most recent citation reference form, which, of course, refers to volume two and page 1270 of Ven Bodhi's translations, which also uses the above PTS form. The others forms, the histories of which I do not really know other than they are different ways the texts are traditionally sectioned. The PTS form is the most commonly used among Western scholars. The traditional SN 36.11 form, as one can see here http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sn/index.html is, like the PTS form is also very useful.
This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond.
SN I, 38.

Ar scáth a chéile a mhaireas na daoine.
People live in one another’s shelter.

"We eat cold eels and think distant thoughts." -- Jack Johnson
tiltbillings

Postby mirco » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:39 am

Thank you both!

@Alexei: Now I got it. I mixed it up with the Paṭhama-Rahogata Sutta from the first chapter of the Anuruddha Samyutta.

Be Well :) _()_
I get what I give
mirco

Return to Discovering Theravāda