Hello from Japan :^)

Introduce yourself to others at Dhamma Wheel.
christopher:::

Hello from Japan :^)

Post by christopher::: »

Hello friends of the Dhamma,

Happy New Year from the land of the rising sun. Hope to learn more about the path with all of you here. May our practice and understanding deepen, mistakes be corrected, and hearts sing in tune with the Buddha's wisdom..

In Peace,
Christopher
(aka, riv:::)
"As Buddhists, we should aim to develop relationships that are not predominated by grasping and clinging. Our relationships should be characterised by the brahmaviharas of metta (loving kindness), mudita (sympathetic joy), karuna (compassion), and upekkha (equanimity)."
~post by Ben, Jul 02, 2009
retrofuturist

Re: Hello from Japan :^)

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Chris the Old Timer ;) ,

Lovely to see you here, friend. I hope you are well and had a nice New Year's Eve.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Fede

Post by Fede »

Hello and welcome.
What a stunningly beautiful Avatar you have!

Nice to see you!

With much metta,

Fede.

*who needs a 'namaste' emoticon*.
"Samsara: The human condition's heartbreaking inability to sustain contentment." Elizabeth Gilbert, 'Eat, Pray, Love'.

Simplify: 17 into 1 WILL go: Mindfulness!

Quieta movere magna merces videbatur. (Sallust, c.86-c.35 BC)
Translation: Just to stir things up seemed a good reward in itself. ;)

I am sooooo happy - How on earth could I be otherwise?! :D

http://www.armchairadvice.co.uk/relationships/forum/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ben

Post by Ben »

Hi Chris

So happy you could join us here!
Welcome to Dhamma Wheel!
Metta

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Christopher,

Care to elaborate on the mystery of the ::: ?

I've always been curious about that!

Metta,
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."

Hello friends, thank you for the warm welcome!!
retrofuturist wrote:Greetings Christopher,

Care to elaborate on the mystery of the ::: ?

I've always been curious about that!

Metta,
LOL, i just started posting an answer, its a long complicated story that is not very important. In short, i used to be called river on another forum, in the 1990s. I shortened it to riv::: and when i arrived at e-sangha i stuck with that. I guess kinda how you have shortened retrofuturist to retro?

Now i'm going more for the reality television approach, thus my real name, but with a little :::

How about your name, care to elaborate on where that came from?

:^)
"As Buddhists, we should aim to develop relationships that are not predominated by grasping and clinging. Our relationships should be characterised by the brahmaviharas of metta (loving kindness), mudita (sympathetic joy), karuna (compassion), and upekkha (equanimity)."
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Chris,

Thanks for sharing.... though you do realise that riv::: is longer than river don't you! :D

As for retrofuturist, I think the name came about in the midst of a whole lot of good underground synth-pop releases on record labels like Ninthwave, A Different Drum, Cohaagen and so on circa 2000-04. Basically the bands on these labels used a lot of old-school sounding keyboard styles to make futuristic sounding synthpop that would have felt nearly just as at home in 2004 as it would have in the 1980's. This movement ran parallel to the more popular 'electroclash' movement that used old school synths and post-punk/new-wave styles and fashions to revitalise dance music during the same period.

Couple with that a big pre-Buddhist interest in reading lots and lots of science fiction... generally old school science fiction of the ilk of Arthur C Clarke, AE Van Vogt, Olaf Stapledon etc. Again, retro texts, with futuristic leanings.

Retrofuturist became Retro. when someone called me that out of laziness, and out of laziness I stopped writing Retrofuturist. In a strange way, it's also come to embody my approach to Buddhism... using the most retro of texts, but learning and discussing them through a futuristic medium.

Metta,

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings Chris,

Thanks for sharing.... though you do realise that riv::: is longer than river don't you! :D
LOL, not when spoken.

Couple with that a big pre-Buddhist interest in reading lots and lots of science fiction... generally old school science fiction of the ilk of Arthur C Clarke, AE Van Vogt, Olaf Stapledon etc. Again, retro texts, with futuristic leanings.

Retrofuturist became Retro. when someone called me that out of laziness, and out of laziness I stopped writing Retrofuturist. In a strange way, it's also come to embody my approach to Buddhism... using the most retro of texts, but learning and discussing them through a futuristic medium.
I also loved sci-fi, though more arthur c clarke, philip dick and robert heinlen. Also short stories, authors names forgotten. Interesting with how you see similarities with your approach. Indeed, i'm more focused in the present, thus the interest in modern teachers like ajahn chah, shunryu suzuki. Also with my art background i am eclectic by nature, tending to enjoy moving around and blending inspirations, like colors on a painting...

Annapurna

Post by Annapurna »

Welcome, Chris, aka Riv::::: ! ;)

Annabel
Anders

Post by Anders »

christopher::: wrote:Now i'm going more for the reality television approach, thus my real name, but with a little :::
nice one. :) 8-)
ShinMeiDokuJoh

Post by ShinMeiDokuJoh »

Hi Chris,

nice to have you here too...

With regards
ShinMeiDokuJoh
Pali in Thai Script: http://paliinthaiscript.blogspot.com

Pali Sutta, Gatha and Paritta in Thai Script: http://sutta-sutra-pali-in-thai-script- ... ogspot.com

Annabel wrote:Welcome, Chris, aka Riv::::: ! ;)

Annabel
Hi Annnnnaaa. meeeoooow!!!
Anders Honore wrote:
christopher::: wrote:Now i'm going more for the reality television approach, thus my real name, but with a little :::
nice one. :) 8-)
thanks anders. now i just need to find a good old photo like yours for my avatar, lol...
ShinMeiDokuJoh wrote:Hi Chris,

nice to have you here too...

With regards
ShinMeiDokuJoh
Same here my friend! Hope all is well. Happy New Year!!

:)
pefty

Post by pefty »

Fede wrote:Hello and welcome.
What a stunningly beautiful Avatar you have!

Nice to see you!

With much metta,

Fede.

*who needs a 'namaste' emoticon*.

You need a namaste emoticon? Here you go!
C=
(turn your head on its side)
namaste to all