YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

Anyone can go to heaven, just be good - Page 2 - Dhamma Wheel

Anyone can go to heaven, just be good

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
clw_uk

Re: Anyone can go to heaven, just be good

Postby clw_uk » Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:09 pm

Last edited by clw_uk on Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken

genkaku

Postby genkaku » Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:12 pm

Smile just one smile

kennycat

Postby kennycat » Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:20 pm

Hi all

I just happened to bump into this thread and this is my first post. :anjali:

Has anyone seen the sheer volume and type of feedback generated from people all over the world to the 'Just Be Good' website? http://www.justbegood.net/Comments.htm

Perhaps the results of the approach taken by the website to promote the Dhamma speak for themselves. :smile:

nathan

Postby nathan » Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:01 pm

Some will say Diamond Shreddies (trademark Post Cereal) are merely a state of mind (no more than surreal), others will insist that they have the same effects as the 'genuine' square shreddies do. Others say that the shreddies, formerly considered square are merely mythical or metaphorical and that now we glimpse the true diamond that was hidden within all along. Perhaps some will actually sort it out for themselves via appropriate practices in the lunch rooms and rest rooms at break times, of course no one is going to consider any of their input decisive either are they?
But whoever walking, standing, sitting, or lying down overcomes thought, delighting in the stilling of thought: he's capable, a monk like this, of touching superlative self-awakening. § 110. {Iti 4.11; Iti 115}

clw_uk

Postby clw_uk » Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:33 pm

Greetings

The site seems quite good, good introduction to Buddhism but it does seem to go into speculation to much talking about rebirth after death, planes of existence and so on which are in their very nature speculation but as it seems to be an introduction only to Buddhism i suppose they have their place there

The aiming for heaven bit i wouldnt agree with but it depends on the audience i suppose

Metta

kc2dpt

Postby kc2dpt » Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:44 pm

- Peter

clw_uk

Postby clw_uk » Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:59 pm

Lazy_eye

Postby Lazy_eye » Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:00 pm

If a Buddhist believes in literal rebirth, doesn't that imply the planes of existence are real destinations? Likewise, if one chooses to regard the latter as "metaphors" or "mind states", wouldn't that logically require seeing rebirth as metaphorical too?

Otherwise we have rebirth without a (literal) destination to be reborn into. The pegs don't quite line up.

clw_uk

Postby clw_uk » Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:08 pm

David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby David N. Snyder » Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:29 pm

David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby David N. Snyder » Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:30 pm

David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby David N. Snyder » Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:33 pm

kc2dpt

Postby kc2dpt » Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:42 pm

- Peter

nathan

Postby nathan » Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:57 pm

I've never been able to get my head around the point of preparing to deal with a metaphorical heaven or hell. I'd deal with the metaphorical suffering involved as well if that were the case. It makes about as much sense to me as working towards an allegorical awakening or a hypothetical maturation of insight wisdom. No need to weary me about how it is all happening in the present. Effectively speak to happening your way out of it continuing to happen from this present onward and you'll have my attention pronto. Spend that time trying to convince me that existence isn't happening also right now in a literal hell or a literal heaven and you are wasting both of our time. We are here, now. Best get to it before the hells or whatever else are as well. The whole modern inclination to blithely dismiss everything unknown to homo-prosaicus as unscientific is about to fall apart before everyone's eyes in the upcoming decades. It will be especially messy for those who have sheltered under the awning of that thin rhetoric. It does seem as if hell is willing to put in an appearance here on earth as an effective challenge to that conventional wisdom already. It also looks like the other team is probably going to sit this one out in the metaphorical grandstands.
But whoever walking, standing, sitting, or lying down overcomes thought, delighting in the stilling of thought: he's capable, a monk like this, of touching superlative self-awakening. § 110. {Iti 4.11; Iti 115}

clw_uk

Postby clw_uk » Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:04 pm

clw_uk

Postby clw_uk » Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:07 pm

kc2dpt

Postby kc2dpt » Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:41 pm

- Peter

salmon

Postby salmon » Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:13 am

~ swimming upstream is tough work! ~

fijiNut

Postby fijiNut » Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:58 am

Hi all,

I own a little booklet published by the author of the website, with the same title. It is a basic introductory booklet to Buddhism with a foreward by Ajahn Brahm who endorses this book, nothing else more to add in that regard.

Whether or not it is good or bad to just aim for 'heaven' or higher realms seems irrelevant to me, the fact that I'm born human in this life indicates without a doubt, there is more work to be done. :cry:

with metta,
fijiNut

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby retrofuturist » Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:43 am

Greetings Salmon,

No, I just meant that it wouldn't have worked for me back in 2005 before I became Buddhist. Back then I found the Four Noble Truths a much better entry point.

As I said though, that's just me.... and not everyone is like me. Hence, why I wanted to find out whether "Anyone can go to heaven, just be good" would work as an entry point to the Dhamma for some people.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead" - Thomas Paine

Return to “General Theravāda discussion”