Do you eat for taste or nutrition?

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.

Do you eat for taste or nutrition?

Postby pedro1985 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:43 am

Simple question: Do you eat for taste or nutrition?

I'll start.
I mostly eat just brown rice or spagetti with vegetable without adding any saus or spice to it. It might taste very boring, but it has good nutrition.
pedro1985

Re: Do you eat for taste or nutrition?

Postby Kim OHara » Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:58 am

I'll continue:
I try to have both, since good nutrition doesn't have to be boring and there's no particular value in making your food boring.
Pasta and vegetable sauce ... with a touch of chili or garlic or coriander. Why not?

:namaste:
Kim
Kim OHara

Postby Sanghamitta » Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:29 am

Both.
Dont confuse the middle way with puritanism.
The going for refuge is the door of entrance to the teachings of the Buddha.

Bhikku Bodhi.
Sanghamitta

Postby Ben » Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:02 am

Sanghamitta wrote:Both.
Dont confuse the middle way with puritanism.

You're a party-pooper, Valerie!
"One cannot step twice into the same river, nor can one grasp any mortal substance in a stable condition, but it scatters and again gathers; it forms and dissolves, and approaches and departs."

- Hereclitus

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR
Buddhist Life Stories of Australia

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com
Ben
Site Admin

Postby Sanghamitta » Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:28 am

:smile:

Bhikku Bodhi.
Sanghamitta

Postby ground » Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:32 pm

My experience is that spicy food fosters attachment to taste. And giving in to this attachment causes further attachment of different types to arise. Therefore I am trying to focus on the nutrition aspect of food and avoid spicy food.

Kind regards
ground

Postby daverupa » Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:50 pm

I enjoy taking a multivitamin, which means I tend only to eat for calories and for gastronomic comfort (due to a truncated digestive tract).
    "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.
- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
daverupa

Postby Sanghamitta » Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:58 pm

TMingyur wrote:My experience is that spicy food fosters attachment to taste. And giving in to this attachment causes further attachment of different types to arise. Therefore I am trying to focus on the nutrition aspect of food and avoid spicy food.

Kind regards

Presumably sackcloth and ashes are optional.
It reminds me of the British comedy series Blackadder where the Witchfinder General and his wife are worried about the corrupting influence of turnips.

Bhikku Bodhi.
Sanghamitta

Postby David N. Snyder » Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:01 pm

Actually, the Buddha was sort of the party-pooper:

We will eat in moderation. Reflecting wisely we will not eat for fun, for amusement or for physical attractiveness but only for the maintenance and continuance of this body, for allaying the discomfort of hunger, for assisting in living the holy life and with the thought “I will end the old desires and not give rise to new ones and thus be healthy, blameless and live in comfort” ’ (M.I,273)

Anagamis (non-returners) and Arahants have eliminated all sense desires and have no problem with eating just for sustenance.

I like sweets occasionally (but not as much as my younger days) and spicy foods.
David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby Reductor » Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:16 pm

At home it is almost all for nutrition. It is while visiting my parents home that I relish sweet foods, although less than before. It is a long standing habit.
Michael

The thoughts I've expressed in the above post are carefully considered and offered in good faith.

And friendliness towards the world is happiness for him who is forbearing with living beings. -- Ud. 2:1
To his own ruin the fool gains knowledge, for it cleaves his head and destroys his innate goodness. -- Dhp 72

Reductor

Postby Viscid » Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:37 pm

I eat one meal a day, so I have to pay attention to whether or not my meal has a lot of nutritive value and enough calories to sustain me.
"What holds attention determines action." - William James
Viscid

Postby ground » Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:42 pm

Sanghamitta wrote:
TMingyur wrote:My experience is that spicy food fosters attachment to taste. And giving in to this attachment causes further attachment of different types to arise. Therefore I am trying to focus on the nutrition aspect of food and avoid spicy food.

Kind regards

It reminds me of the British comedy series Blackadder where the Witchfinder General and his wife are worried about the corrupting influence of turnips.

Thanks for being so respectful as to other's experiences.

kind regards
ground

Postby Sanghamitta » Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:50 pm

Ah I see. You prefer the sauce of self righteousness to curry.

Ajahn Sumedho " When eating I try to avoid being overwhelmed by attraction or aversion or indifference. I try to maintain a mind of gratitude. Even when eating a vegetarian meal things have died for me to live ".
TMingyur wrote:
Sanghamitta wrote:

Kind regards

Thanks for being so respectful as to other's experiences.

kind regards

Bhikku Bodhi.
Sanghamitta

Postby ground » Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:27 pm

Sanghamitta wrote:Ah I see. You prefer the sauce of self righteousness to curry.

You seem to have misunderstood. To rely on one's experience I would not consider to be "self righteousness". You just make an experience and say "This is my experience ... and that are the conclusions I draw on the basis of my experience ..."

There is not dictate implied that others should follow one's conclusions because others may have different experiences.

Kind regards
ground

Postby altar » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:54 pm

one of the most delectable suttas, i recall a young monk in england posted on e'sangha, the buddha recommends ghee and honey.
altar

Postby altar » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:55 pm

one of the most delectable suttas, i recall a young monk in england posted on e'sangha, the buddha recommends conjee and honey.
altar

Postby rowyourboat » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:59 pm

[3] "'The perception of loathsomeness in food, when developed & pursued, is of great fruit, of great benefit. It gains a footing in the Deathless, has the Deathless as its final end': Thus was it said. In reference to what was it said?

"When a monk's awareness often remains steeped in the perception of loathsomeness in food, his mind shrinks away from craving for flavors, bends away, pulls back, and is not drawn in, and either equanimity or loathing take a stance. Just as a cock's feather or a piece of tendon, when thrown into a fire, shrinks away, bends away, pulls back, and is not drawn in; in the same way, when a monk's awareness often remains steeped in the perception of loathsomeness in food, his mind shrinks away from craving for flavors, bends away, pulls back, and is not drawn in, and either equanimity or loathing take a stance. If, when a monk's awareness often remains steeped in the perception of loathsomeness in food, his mind inclines to craving for flavors, or if non-loathing takes a stance, then he should realize, 'I have not developed the perception of loathsomeness in food; there is no step-by-step distinction in me; I have not arrived at the fruit of [mental] development.' In that way he is alert there. But if, when a monk's awareness often remains steeped in the perception of loathsomeness in food, his mind shrinks away from craving for flavors, bends away, pulls back, and is not drawn in, and either equanimity or loathing take a stance, then he should realize, 'I have developed the perception of loathsomeness in food; there is a step-by-step distinction in me; I have arrived at the fruit of [mental] development.' In that way he is alert there.

"'The perception of loathsomeness in food, when developed & pursued, is of great fruit, of great benefit. It gains a footing in the Deathless, has the Deathless as its final end': Thus was it said, and in reference to this was it said.http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html

Trying to note the disgusting quality of food.

With metta

Matheesha
With Metta

Karuna
Mudita
& Upekkha
rowyourboat

Postby Ben » Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:49 pm

Hi David,
David N. Snyder wrote:Actually, the Buddha was sort of the party-pooper:

We will eat in moderation. Reflecting wisely we will not eat for fun, for amusement or for physical attractiveness but only for the maintenance and continuance of this body, for allaying the discomfort of hunger, for assisting in living the holy life and with the thought “I will end the old desires and not give rise to new ones and thus be healthy, blameless and live in comfort” ’ (M.I,273)

Anagamis (non-returners) and Arahants have eliminated all sense desires and have no problem with eating just for sustenance.

I like sweets occasionally (but not as much as my younger days) and spicy foods.

I agree. And on retreat, I eat only for sustenance.
Part of my work role is to cater for lots of people. Some of whom are hedonistic sensualists - and I have a serious problem with the continual lusting after food and drink you see in the 'foodie' phenomenon. What I do find disagreeable is to adopt a dietary practice to give one the appearance of being a more serious practitioner. If one wishes to eat only for sustenance as a result of Dhamma practice and it happens naturallly - all well and good. If however, one is attempting to adopt the outward signs of Dhamma as a means to impress others or oneself - that I find curious.
kind regards

Ben
"One cannot step twice into the same river, nor can one grasp any mortal substance in a stable condition, but it scatters and again gathers; it forms and dissolves, and approaches and departs."

- Hereclitus

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR
Buddhist Life Stories of Australia

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com
Ben
Site Admin

Postby bodom » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:28 am

rowyourboat wrote:Trying to note the disgusting quality of food.

With metta

Matheesha

This from the Visuddhimagga:

The pleasant drink, the pleasant food,
Hard, soft, whatever it may be:
Through one door it is loaded in,
Through nine it trickles out again.

The pleasant drink, the pleasant food.
Man may in company enjoy,
Yet in discharging it, he hides.

Man may enjoy with full delight,
Yet in discharging, feels disgust

The whole, after one single night,
Will reach a state of loathsomeness.

- Vism XI, 23

http://books.google.com/books?id=kLQzuaw3xUYC&num=10

:anjali:
The heart of the path is SO simple. No need for long explanations. Give up clinging to love and hate, just rest with things as they are. That is all I do in my own practice. Do not try to become anything. Do not make yourself into anything. Do not be a meditator. Do not become enlightened. When you sit, let it be. When you walk, let it be. Grasp at nothing. Resist nothing. Of course, there are dozens of meditation techniques to develop samadhi and many kinds of vipassana. But it all comes back to this - just let it all be. Step over here where it is cool, out of the battle. - Ajahn Chah
bodom

Postby manas » Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:40 am

When food has a pleasing taste, I always digest it better than if it tastes bland. So, I also aim for a balance between health and taste.

Plus I've given up a few other things I used to like doing, for the sake of the dhamma...so to also deny myself tasteful foods, when as a layperson I don't have to, seems, well...unnecessary.

I've found that for me, fine chocolate, coffee, and the occassional pizza cause no problems whatsoever, but rather, give much comfort! :thumbsup:

Edit: and while eating the chocolate, I aim to know only 'taste'...so yes, I still try to eat meditatively, even while enjoying the pleasing flavour. I try not to be heedless...
manas

Next

Return to Wellness, Diet & Fitness