"Buddha Prophesied about Jesus"

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
thornbush

"Buddha Prophesied about Jesus"

Post by thornbush »

Dearest Dhammafarers,

I found this on another Forum site being discussed and took the main link from there: http://bibleprobe.com/buddhatoldofjesus.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
And I would seek your kind and learned comments on this as the moment I read it, I felt it was a concocted slander and another shameful attempt to forge the Sutta and cause division in the Sangha in promoting another religion. "Buddhist Scriptures of Cambodia"?
So 2 issues are at hand: Validity of this purported Scripture claim and further down in the website, the 'story' of an ex Monk who was 'raised from the dead'.
And the website claims this:
Permission was granted to copy these Buddhist Scriptures regarding the prophecy of the Holy One (Jesus) from Wat Phra Sing in Chiang Mai Province. The person who gave permission was Phra Sriwisutthiwong in Bangkok. It is guaranteed that this copy is accurate according to the original, that there is no error in transmission, which is in the book of the district headman, the religious encyclopedia, volume 23, book #29. This inquiry was made on October 13, 1954 A.D. (Buddhist era 2497). Phra Sriwisutthiwong is the Deputy Abbot and Director of Wat Pho Museum, Wat Pho Temple, Thailand.
Is there any truth to this?

Namo Amitabha Buddha!
Fede

Re: "Buddha Prophesied about Jesus"

Post by Fede »

I think you should serve it up in a dish, garnish with parsley, top it with parmesan, and take it with a hefty pinch of salt..... :jumping:
"Samsara: The human condition's heartbreaking inability to sustain contentment." Elizabeth Gilbert, 'Eat, Pray, Love'.

Simplify: 17 into 1 WILL go: Mindfulness!

Quieta movere magna merces videbatur. (Sallust, c.86-c.35 BC)
Translation: Just to stir things up seemed a good reward in itself. ;)

I am sooooo happy - How on earth could I be otherwise?! :D

http://www.armchairadvice.co.uk/relationships/forum/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
pererin

Post by pererin »

It is interesting that this so-called 'prophecy' presupposes not only a specific theological viewpoint but also the emphasis, imagery and iconography of a certain type of contemporary Christianity. It's probably the crudest piece of forged propaganda I've ever seen. And appallingly written.

:jedi:
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

you can make all sorts of wrong associations with a bias view, they were looking for proof and found it by linking seperate "religions" together have a look at their hand written notes.
but I do like a good amount of salt some say I am too sweet :tongue:
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
Jechbi

Post by Jechbi »

This reminds me of the whole story about how a guy named Issa traveled from the Middle East to India and studied Buddhism about 2,000 years ago. Hint: It was actually Jesus (at least that's how the tale goes). Then within the last century the Vatican swooped in and took all the sustaining historic documents from the small town in India where Issa's visit was purportedly recorded. The documents allegedly are locked away in Rome.

:spy:
Rain soddens what is kept wrapped up,
But never soddens what is open;
Uncover, then, what is concealed,
Lest it be soddened by the rain.
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

Greetings

Have a feeling its not very authentic, for one thing it describes nibbana as heaven
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”
nathan

Post by nathan »

thornbush wrote: Is there any truth to this?

Namo Amitabha Buddha!
I liked the guy coming back from hell story (see the link on the OP's link). I think there is at least this much to be gained from that (if not broadly apparent in innumerable forms in even only this one link by the OP); social forms of religiosity are riddled with complacency and blind conformity. Good for this guy, I'd bet he, for one, is better off for it. [Now do you see the sort of thing I mean by actually dead? Yes thoroughly dead, dead cold dead.] More or less the same thing happened to me many years ago, with the Dhamma exploding like a cluster bomb in my face, in the midst of a setting steeped in generations of unquestioning and non-reflective christianity, to essentially the same spectrum of responses. It is a telling social commentary. With a little thoughtful reflection one could gather quite a lot from this as opposed to being all freaked out about it. I hope to be in Chiang Mai soon, maybe I will try to look up this 'back from the dead guy'. We can talk about Jesus or Buddha, I'm good to go either way.
:smile:
Think of it as a veteran's tale from the 'Scared straight!' program, but in the way that the universe itself runs the program.
:jawdrop:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scared_Straight" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(the documentary directed by Arnold Shapiro released in 1978)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Divine_Comedy" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by nathan on Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
But whoever walking, standing, sitting, or lying down overcomes thought, delighting in the stilling of thought: he's capable, a monk like this, of touching superlative self-awakening. § 110. {Iti 4.11; Iti 115}
kc2dpt

Post by kc2dpt »

thornbush wrote:Is there any truth to this?
No.
- Peter

Be heedful and you will accomplish your goal.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

thornbush wrote:
Permission was granted to copy these Buddhist Scriptures regarding the prophecy of the Holy One (Jesus) from Wat Phra Sing in Chiang Mai Province. The person who gave permission was Phra Sriwisutthiwong in Bangkok. It is guaranteed that this copy is accurate according to the original, that there is no error in transmission, which is in the book of the district headman, the religious encyclopedia, volume 23, book #29. This inquiry was made on October 13, 1954 A.D. (Buddhist era 2497). Phra Sriwisutthiwong is the Deputy Abbot and Director of Wat Pho Museum, Wat Pho Temple, Thailand.
Definitely not. There is no reference given except to an encyclopedia? That is not a scripture source. Using references such as volume 23, book 29, Buddhist era 2497 are just attempts to make it sound authentic, which it is not. The so-called encyclopedia probably does not exist, but even if it did, it would still need to quote and reference an actual scripture, such as some Mahayana sutra, Pali Canon source, etc.
Individual

Post by Individual »

thornbush wrote:Dearest Dhammafarers,

I found this on another Forum site being discussed and took the main link from there: http://bibleprobe.com/buddhatoldofjesus.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
And I would seek your kind and learned comments on this as the moment I read it, I felt it was a concocted slander and another shameful attempt to forge the Sutta and cause division in the Sangha in promoting another religion. "Buddhist Scriptures of Cambodia"?
So 2 issues are at hand: Validity of this purported Scripture claim and further down in the website, the 'story' of an ex Monk who was 'raised from the dead'.
And the website claims this:

Namo Amitabha Buddha!
It seems plausible that it's a Buddhist scripture, but maybe not something in the Tipitaka -- probably something that was written much later. The fatalism of the Buddha saying that following all the trillions of lists in the Pali canon, this seems reminiscient of Mahayana texts, like the Diamond Sutra and Bodhidharma's Bloodstream Sermon, not Theravadin.

Looking at it, you can tell it's an awful translation that seems to take great pains to translate Buddhist terms in a way that fits a Christian worldview (with Nirvana being a heavenly realm, redundancy of Brahman priest, rendering kamma-vipaka as "sin", rendering devas\gandhabbas whichever as angel, rendering sramanas as priesthood).

With that said, Christianity is not altogether bad, even though its origins are uncertain and its adherents are often grotesque. The writer of that site should read the following passages of the Bible:

James 1:27
Pure and undefiled religion in the sight of our God and Father is this: to visit orphans and widows in their distress, and to keep oneself unstained by the world.
Also...

1 Corinthians 13
2 Timothy 2:14, 23-26
Psalms 37:8-9, Matthew 5
Mark 9:40
The best things in life aren't things.

The Diamond Sutra
nathan

Post by nathan »

2497 B.E. would be about 55 years ago. Still about 2500 years short of qualifying as the word of the Buddha. It seemed like an obvious hitch to me. It is about as compelling a form of evidence as any to those who don't know any better. Those scheming chrizchins, you gotta watch 'em like a hawk. The good lord also told 'em to 'behave like snakes' and some of 'em took that one deeply to heart a long time back now. Perhaps you've noticed.

Apart from those who are exploited in their ignorance by the visibly insincere, these sorts of works mainly harms the christians that do everything they can to actually help people and simply let their faith speak for itself. People who actually probably vastly outnumber the other kinds, especially overseas, but who, like the many decent people who happen to be theravada buddhists, live almost entirely under the radar. When is the last time we complained about the christian's far flung hospitals and clinics, agricultural development and well construction programs, home and school building missions, etc.? No we tend to turn our attention to this kind of dreck again and again. Doubtless we can find similar abuses within our own camps to concentrate most of this kind of attention on.

That said, I laughed my butt off while I read all that stuff, thanks, that was a hoot. :tongue:
But whoever walking, standing, sitting, or lying down overcomes thought, delighting in the stilling of thought: he's capable, a monk like this, of touching superlative self-awakening. § 110. {Iti 4.11; Iti 115}