Do you eat for taste or nutrition?

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.
Spiny O'Norman

Re: Do you eat for taste or nutrition?

Post by Spiny O'Norman »

Reading this thread has caused me to crave a large tub of ice-cream...oh dear :jumping:
ground

Post by ground »

Spiny O'Norman wrote:Reading this thread has caused me to crave a large tub of ice-cream...oh dear :jumping:
I think there is no need to confirm that craving is ubiquitous.

kind regards
effort

Post by effort »

i never forget that how i obsessed with the thought of hamburger during a retreat...

i eat for taste absolutely, unfortunately it is hard to weakened the attachments
Jhana4

Post by Jhana4 »

pedro1985 wrote:Simple question: Do you eat for taste or nutrition?\
Smart people do both. If you get nutrition, your energy levels and everything else in your life will suffer. If you don't get taste, there is a tendency to go nuts and binge on crap.........more crap than you would have had if you let yourself have a little bit of taste.
In reading the scriptures, there are two kinds of mistakes:
One mistake is to cling to the literal text and miss the inner principles.
The second mistake is to recognize the principles but not apply them to your own mind, so that you waste time and just make them into causes of entanglement.
ground

Post by ground »

Jhana4 wrote: If you get nutrition, your energy levels and everything else in your life will suffer. If you don't get taste, there is a tendency to go nuts and binge on crap.........more crap than you would have had if you let yourself have a little bit of taste.
I think you may be confusing "taste" and some special category of "taste" here because it is usually the "crap" that has got intensive "taste" which however might be the one you dislike.

IMO if you renounce "taste" and focus on the nutrition aspect exlusively the likelihood you will be totally renouncing "crap" is very high.

kind regards
pedro1985

Post by pedro1985 »

As the "origional poster" of this thread: One of the reasons why I posted this question, was because I was surprised to learn the effects that eating for taste can have on people.

Let me start by saying that I am in no position to judge people, and I am not posting this to judge others, but I post this merely out of "my observations".

Alright, let me explain:

What I noticed among people who tend to eat mostly for the taste that food gives them, is that they tend to go for the somewhat more expensive food. Expensive food mostly have more taste added.

But, now my observation:

When people experience financial difficulties, the weird thing is, I see many taste addicted people, who rather go a day without eating, then eating tasteless food.

For example, people addicted to taste rather skip dinner and be hungry than to eat a bowl of brown rice with a carrot. (1 bowl of brown rice and a carrot costs only 0,15 Euro in Central Europe.

I have heard things like: I will not eat that, that's disgusting, it has no taste at all.

My conclusion: Based on my personal experience, I can see the benefit of eating tasteless food that are nutritious, because it makes you more humble and less dependant on taste.

And when in financial difficulty, you can turn to cheap and tasteless, but highly nutritious food without complaining or thinking that you are deprived of "better " food.
Sanghamitta

Post by Sanghamitta »

" It makes you more humble ".....well I am glad that we have got that sorted.
The going for refuge is the door of entrance to the teachings of the Buddha.

Bhikku Bodhi.
pedro1985

Post by pedro1985 »

Sanghamitta wrote:" It makes you more humble ".....well I am glad that we have got that sorted.
Of course I am only talking from my own perspective. Just my own personal experience. It's not meant to impose my views on anybody else.
Sanghamitta

Post by Sanghamitta »

Well just as long as you are happy to post on a public forum that you are more humble as a result of lunch, and not see any irony in that at several levels.. :smile:
It reminds me of a joke.

It is the day of Yom Kippur the Jewish day of Atonement.
The Rabbi kneels before the congregation and says " I am but dust and ashes "
The Cantor ( choir master ) kneels before the congregation and says " I too am but dust and ashes "
At which point the synagogue janitor kneels next to the cantor and says " I too am but dust and ashes ".
At this the cantor whispers to the Rabbi " who is HE to be but dust and ashes ? "

Bhikku Bodhi.
pedro1985

Post by pedro1985 »

Sanghamitta wrote:Well just as long as you are happy to post on a public forum that you are more humble as a result of lunch, and not see any irony in that at several levels.. :smile:

I'm not really sure what you mean? What irony is there about it?
cooran

Post by cooran »

Hello Pedro1985, all,

Perhaps oneof the things Sanghamitta may be pointing to is:
Pedro said: because it makes you more humble
To eat humble pie, in common usage, is to apologize and face humiliation for a serious error.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humble_pie" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

with metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
Sanghamitta

Post by Sanghamitta »

I think that CLAIMING humility in public might be just slightly a result of pride ?
The statement "I am more humble " is an oxymoron. A statement that contains within it a contradiction.
Its not personal Pedro. I think that there is a subtle form of pride which attaches to many statements about what one eats or doesnt eat. I suspect those who approach food with a lack of ego just eat, without feeling the need to tell others what they eat.

Bhikku Bodhi.
pedro1985

Post by pedro1985 »

Sanghamitta wrote:I think that CLAIMING humility in public might be just slightly a result of pride ?
The statement "I am more humble " is an oxymoron. A statement that contains within it a contradiction.
Its not personal Pedro. I think that there is a subtle form of pride which attaches to many statements about what one eats or doesnt eat. I suspect those who approach food with a lack of ego just eat, without feeling the need to tell others what they eat.
I understand what you mean now. Thanks for reminding me.
Sanghamitta

Post by Sanghamitta »

Most of us do it one way or another Pedro...

I went through a long phase when I was younger of watching myself meditate.." hey look, I am meditating, get me ! "

:anjali:

Bhikku Bodhi.
Kenshou

Post by Kenshou »

I am the humblest of all, you could learn a thing or two about humility from me.

Unfortunately, I've heard such things said before. Pretty silly.