Pilgrimage NittyGritty

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
cooran

Pilgrimage NittyGritty

Post by cooran »

Hello all,

I would like to hear anyone's experiences of Pilgrimage in India to the Four Holy Places - especially the nittygritty of costs, places to stay, transport, tour companies etc.

metta
Chirs
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
DNS
Site Admin

Re: Pilgrimage NittyGritty

Post by DNS »

Hi Chris,

Didn't you just come back from pilgrimage about a year ago?
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

I went with Shantum Seth's tour:

http://www.buddhapath.com/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and they were very good, tour guide, driver, all the sites, 4 star hotels, all meals (although we skipped the evening meal even though it was included) and it was well-done.

Lotus Nikko was a very nice hotel in Bodh Gaya and close to the Maha Bodhi Temple.
cooran

Post by cooran »

Hello TheDhamma,

Yes, I last went in 2007 - but that was out of Bangkok with a Thai group and all the pricing was done from there. That particular group was 120 people (four busloads in India) and arranged by a group member who happened to be a Bangkok Travel Agent. Any time I have travelled in northern India, it has been with that group and that manager.

The next Pilgrimage which may be occurring is not associated with that group, but out of Brisbane, Australia, with max. 20-25 people, direct to India.

Thanks for the site - I did not find any pricing? .... maybe best to contact them directly?

I am also very interested in anyone else's experience - particulary with the practical details such as accommodation and transport. I am interested in 2 week tours with the option of 3 weeks.

Anyone's assistance or suggestions will be appreciated.

metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
jcsuperstar

Post by jcsuperstar »

i'd be interested in this too, but from america to india
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Chris wrote: Thanks for the site - I did not find any pricing? .... maybe best to contact them directly?
Hi Chris,

Yes, it is best to contact them directly. You can write / talk to Shantum or one of his two assistants (I forgot their names, but they were very helpful too). Tell them I referred you and maybe he'll give me a discount for next time. :tongue:

But more than likely for my next visit, I may go without the tour and hang-out mostly in Bodh Gaya, Maha Bodhi Temple for meditation.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Costs varies, but averages around $1,000 USD to $3,000 USD per person, depending upon how long the tour is, from two weeks to four weeks.

The cost of the flight to get to India is separate, additional cost. From America, it can be quite expensive as most routes go to Europe first, then New Delhi, then another flight or train ride to Patna to be near the Buddhist sites in Bihar province.

Or if you are on the West coast of the U.S. you could always go West and have a stop in East Asia first, such as Japan or Singapore and then from there to Bangkok and India.
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

Whilst not directly related to a traditional pilgrimage, it looks like I might be visiting Thailand next year... which will be very exciting as I've never had the opportunity to visit a traditional Buddhist country before.

May those who go on pilgrimage find what they're looking for!

:buddha2:

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Zack

Post by Zack »

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings,

Whilst not directly related to a traditional pilgrimage, it looks like I might be visiting Thailand next year... which will be very exciting as I've never had the opportunity to visit a traditional Buddhist country before.

May those who go on pilgrimage find what they're looking for!

:buddha2:

Metta,
Retro. :)
Me too, I hope, In November.
I noticed there are flights from Bangkok to Gaya now so I hope to sample both Thailand and India.
I am of nature to decay, I have not gone beyond decay.
I am of the nature to be diseased, I have not gone beyond disease.
I am of the nature to die, I have not done beyond death.
All that is mine, dear and delightful, will change and vanish.
I am the owner of my kamma, heir to my kamma, born of my kamma, related to
my kamma, abide supported by my kamma. Whatever kamma I shall do,
whether good or evil, of that I shall be the heir.
Thus we should frequently recollect.
- Upajjhatthana Sutta, Anguttara Nikaya v.57
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Zack wrote: Me too, I hope, In November.
I noticed there are flights from Bangkok to Gaya now so I hope to sample both Thailand and India.
The best time to go is between November to February. It starts getting hot in March and it can be unbearable around May and June -- temps. around 100 degrees or more with high humidity. The temps. start cooling off around the middle of August, but it is still hot through October.
salmon

Post by salmon »

why not try the mahaparinivan express?

http://www.indiatravelnews.com/travel_i ... ddhist.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
~ swimming upstream is tough work! ~