YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

Concentration meditation difficulties - Page 2 - Dhamma Wheel

Concentration meditation difficulties

The cultivation of calm or tranquility and the development of concentration
Ben

Re: Concentration meditation difficulties

Postby Ben » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:37 pm

“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

(Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • •

e: [email protected]..

Sidney

Postby Sidney » Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:28 pm

Dear Darods,

I think what you have been doing is not the problem with concentration as I first understood your question as a difficulty getting concentration. However, when read further it appears to me that you are elaborating on it or analysing it in the wrong direction.

Vipassana meditation has several stages; the first stage is to develop and nuture awareness and to obtain a short one-pointedness concentration. This is usually obtained by closing other five portals of sensation and only contemplate on the touch of air onto the tip of nostrils or upper lip. If you can focus your attention to it for few minutes the next step is to analyse and reflect upon what you have experienced, but should be in the right direction. Instead of analysing the sensation for its quality try to focus on the beginning and the end of the sensation, rather than on the nature and qualities.
If you can contemplate this awareness then, you need to reflect on the dhamma; becoming and ceasation of every sensation; i.e. everything goes in cycles, if there is a beginning there will be an end and vice versa.
If you can master this realisation, then you can shift your contemplation onto every sensation that you come across from the six portals, including your thoughts. If you can master each and every sensation and have realised their nature of beginnings and ends; by this stage your samadhi will be very strong and you would notice few experiences which I have posted in another thread.

If in any case you could not develop strong samadhi do let me know and I will see if I can help you.
best wishes!

Sidney

darods

Postby darods » Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:50 am

Hi all, I have been practising each day as often as possible, and have come to a new issue that I hope someone can be of help with.

At first, when I sat I would be all over the place mentally. Without realising I would be first having my awareness on an image of my nose breathing, then the sound, then I would lose concentration for a few minutes in thought, then I'd bring it back to the sensation, and within moments it would be back on a visualisation of me breathing.. and so on, jumping around. I don't feel I've particularly progressed in terms of ability in concentration, although I have learnt to get through the issues of restlessness and maintain sitting for the duration I determine at the start.

Jumping to the present, this week I vowed to put in more effort when sitting as I had started to become more about getting through the time, rather than the quality of what I was actually doing.

So this is what I began. When I sit, I clear my mind first. I let my body breath naturally, then begin having my awareness at the sensations of the breath around the nose, not visualising anything, actually staying on the physical sensation, If I realise I am visualising the breath or my nose, I bring it back to the sensation. In the gap between breaths I keep my awareness of the area of sensations. What I have noticed is that after 5 or 6 in and out breaths of doing this.. I begin to get mentally tired.. like a drowziness sets in.. I continue bringing my mind back to the sensation but with each breath the drowziness increases in intensity into almost the sensation you get when you really really want to fall asleep or are about to fall asleep, as it increases it gets harder and harder to keep on the breath until I eventually feel like I'll actually fall asleep so I relent.. my mind jumps around in thoughts for a minute or so as it returns to normal.. the drowziness dissipates very quickly, sometimes here I reapply my awareness to the breath.. for it to happen all over again, othertimes I might lose track completely for 5 minutes before realising I'm not on the breath. Return to it and then it happens all over again. It always seems to happen if I manage to stay on the breath for around 6 to 10 full breaths, other times I might lose awareness before I reach this number and go off on some track of thought.

My question is... am I doing something wrong, or is this just a natural process of my mind being weak in concentration and with each attempt at getting and fighting this drowziness I am making it stronger?

I hope that makes sense.

Thank you for your help

Update:

I have just been experimenting with different postures. Up until now I used a small wooden bench to mediate on, just now I tried sitting cross legged on a cushion.. although it was more uncomfortable for my back and groin/hips, I noted that the above drowziness issue was almost non existant. I'm not ready yet to declare this the solution but I hope it is. The only problem is getting up afterward as one of my legs became completley numb! :D

Nicro

Postby Nicro » Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:43 pm

chownah

Postby chownah » Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:22 am

nicro,
"Then you can either say "in" on an in breath and "out" on an out breath", Do you mean we should say it (with the mouth) or we should think it (with the mind only)?
chownah

Nicro

Postby Nicro » Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:53 am

daverupa

Postby daverupa » Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:32 pm

Nicro

Postby Nicro » Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:22 pm

daverupa