U.N. Declares Famine in Somalia

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
sattva

U.N. Declares Famine in Somalia

Post by sattva »

The United Nations has declared a famine in parts of Somalia:

http://www.un.org/News/briefings/docs/2 ... ia.doc.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

One of the criteria for the UN's declaration of a famine is that 30% of children must be experiencing acute malnutrition.

More info from the UN's World Food Programme (WFP):
http://www.wfp.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I know that many of us are on tight budgets, but if you have food in your belly, water to drink, and shelter you are doing better than these people.

Accoding to WFP 10 Ways to Help:
http://www.wfp.org/stories/horn-africa- ... u-can-help" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Some other organizations helping: Unicef, Care, and Save the Children. I am sure there are many more.

About refugee camps:
http://www.unhcr.org/cgi-bin/texis/vtx/home" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
:anjali:
http://www.chatzy.com/25904628501622
Ben

Re: U.N. Declares Famine in Somalia

Post by Ben »

Thank you Sattva
Its about time the UN declared a famine.
The situation is deplorable
kind regrds

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Ben

Post by Ben »

Famine victims converge on Mogadishu; region's camps report deaths

Through its partners, the UN refugee agency on Wednesday distributed emergency assistance packages benefiting 15,000 internally displaced Somalis in the Dharkenley district of south-west Mogadishu. An additional 7,500 packages will be distributed in the coming weeks, with each package containing a UNHCR tarpaulin for shelter, three blankets, a sleeping mat, two jerry cans and a full kitchen set and utensils.

http://www.unhcr.org/4e296f4f9.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
If you have the means and the volition, please consider contributing to the UNHCR or other NGO.
http://www.unhcr.org/cgi-bin/texis/vtx/home" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

kind regards

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

sattva

Post by sattva »

Thanks Ben for your replies.
It saddens me that no one else here seems to care. This Beatle's song is going through my mind.

"I look at you all, see the love there that's sleeping while my guitar gently weeps."

We read a lot here about metta and karuna, but there is an action element to these states as well as a feeling. If you love someone, you don't ignore them. You don't pretend they aren't there. You don't trivilize their difficulties. You don't stand their and let them starve to death. Even if all you can do is shout, do something, do something.
Ben

Post by Ben »

Indeed, Sattva.
There is more to Dhamma than mere words.
kind regards

Ben

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Ben

Post by Ben »

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

palchi

Post by palchi »

Thanks Sattva and Ben.

It is indeed a deplorable situation - children dying at the roadside from hunger in this day and age. The UN has been in emergency mode for a while but the situation has reached unspeakable dimensions.

Please everybody, give whatever you can to support the people of Somalia, Ethiopia and Kenya - and also send good thoughts to the aid workers in there, trying to help.
cooran

Post by cooran »

It's possible that many people haven't posted in the thread because they already regularly donate to welfare agencies working there.

I donate on a monthly basis to the ICRC (Red Cross) and Medecins sans Frontieres who have been working in Somalia for quite a while and will continue to do so.

Red Cross in Somalia
http://www.icrc.org/eng/where-we-work/a ... /index.jsp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Medecins sans Frontieres in Somalia
http://www.icrc.org/eng/where-we-work/a ... /index.jsp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

with metta and karuna,
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

cooran wrote:It's possible that many people haven't posted in the thread because they already regularly donate to welfare agencies working there.
:thumbsup:

Interactive map, showing the areas hurt the most from this drought:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/global-develo ... nteractive" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

From my non-expert perspective, but with some readings and travels in the area, I consider the following to be the biggest causes of the famines, in this order:

1. Drought
2. Subsistence farming
3. Warfare
4. Political economy in general of the region

But right now long term goals for eliminating these problems in the future need to be put at bay and focus needs to be on the immediate problem of getting food to the people, which the above links and agencies provide.
Ben

Post by Ben »

Hi Chris

It would surprise me if you were not one of a very small minority.

Hi David,
Thanks for that interesting article and interactive map @ The Guardian.
kind regards

Ben

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

alfa

Post by alfa »

Charity is wonderful, but the problem cannot be fixed without recognizing the actual cause of poverty: profit-based production. As long as profits are more important than people, the latter will continue to suffer. No point in denying this.
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

alfa wrote:Charity is wonderful, but the problem cannot be fixed without recognizing the actual cause of poverty: profit-based production. As long as profits are more important than people, the latter will continue to suffer. No point in denying this.
No point denying causes, indeed, but we have to deal with the present effects or many will continue to suffer.
Let's pull the arrow out before we go in search of the bowman.

:namaste:
Kim
sattva

Post by sattva »

Thanks Palchi for your support :anjali:

Chris, first of all, i want to applaud your efforts to help by donating to several organizations engaged in relief :clap:

I think some of what is bothering me is not just that people have not posted saying they were donating, but it doesn't seem to be a topic for discussion or even viewing. For example, although it is constantly changing, as i write this entry there are 97 views of this thread (and quite a few have been from me) compared to 182 times the Amy Winehorse thread has been viewed. The Winehorse thread has almost double viewing and it was started a day and a half AFTER this thread. Now, I can chalk that up to several things, but it does give me pause to wonder about priorities and interest, even among a group of Buddhists.

Not only did i post this thread, i sent out emails to friends and family. My 2 replies were from my Zen teacher and a long-time Buddhist friend from the UK who has already been donating to the relief effort. I also brought up this situation in the chat room and found a general lack of interest in more than an analytical way. I challenged people to at least read the thread and to read the links and try to do one thing, no matter how small, to help, but no one seemed that interested.

This brings me to Kim's point, "Let's pull the arrow out before we go in search of the bowman." This certainly is in line with Buddhist's teachings. Although i think it is important to think about and discuss the causes and conditions that lead to famine, hunger, and poverty as David and alfa suggest, it should not come before or at the expense of pulling the arrow out

I won't do it, but i can't help wondering about the replies one would get if a thread was started about the reason why people care more about Amy Winehouse than millions of people starving in Africa.
:buddha1:
Ben

Post by Ben »

Hi Sattva

As part of one of the camps we do where I work, we give the students a presentation on how much money families spend on food (or the monetary equivalent of the food they grow) for consumption each week. The photos come out of a book that came out around ten years ago so I imagine that while the information isn't 100 percent accurate, it gives a pretty indicative snapshot.
The slide is a portrait of the family with all the food that they eat laid out in-front or around them with some basc details such as monetary value of weekly food consumption and a mention of the family's favourite meals. One of the most interesting photos is of a family from sub-sahara africa. The family is sitting on mat in front of a tent in what looks like a refugee tent city next to 20L water drums with five or six small bags of what look like grains and beans in front of them. Compared to the cost of a weekly food bill from the US or Europe of around $300 to $400 p/week, the sub-saharan family subsist for a week on approx $1.50 per week. It is interesting for a number of reasons but for me it goes to show that a surprisingly small amount of money can have such an incredible impact in assisting those who are actually on the edge of life and death.
kind regards

Ben

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

manas

Post by manas »

It's a difficult subject. Some people might avoid this topic not because they do not care, but because the images of the malnourished, hungry staring eyes of all those poor people haunt them, yet they find themselves in so much debt, and on such a low income, that giving in charity, except in a very meagre way, isn't practical. But sattva I agree with you, we should not just be sending metta, we should be sending money...I wish I had more of it to give.
To the Buddha-refuge i go; to the Dhamma-refuge i go; to the Sangha-refuge i go.