SN 35.191: Kotthita Sutta

Where we gather to focus on a single discourse or thematic collection from the Sutta Piṭaka (new selection every two weeks)
paul

Re: SN 35.191: Kotthita Sutta

Post by paul »

Since the way to a mind without responses of desire or lust is through practising the strategies of Right Effort, I am of the school which holds Right Effort to be the centre and heart of the Noble Eightfold Path.
An example of a mind without such responses is shown in the story of the Elder who was on his way to Anuradhapura for alms when "a certain daughter-in-law of a clan who had quarreled with her husband and had set out from Anuradhapura all dressed up and tricked out like a celestial nymph to go to her relatives' home, saw him on the road and being low-minded, she laughed a loud laugh. Wondering "What is that?", the Elder looked up and finding in the bones of her teeth the perception of foulness, he reached Arahantship." Vism.1, 53-59.
The Sri Lankan monk Pemasiri Thera, in the book of his teaching ("Walking the Tightrope", D.Young, BPS 2005, available through Wisdom Publications) refers to Right Effort as the central factor in the Noble Eightfold Path (p. 105).
In several trips to Sri Lanka where I stayed in monasteries and was a member of a group connected with Pemasiri Thera, that travel was interpreted by Australian authorities as for pedophilia and in subsequent legal proceedings and a psychologist's report, I was obliged to defend the strategies of Right Effort and Buddhist belief in general. I believe every practitioner must come through some form of crisis in order to test their beliefs against reality.
phil

Post by phil »

The clock is ticking on this thread. I don't know how you choose the suttas (Mike?) but if I could put in a personal request sonething from SN12 would be great in the future. I find that whole samyutta (?) difficult....
Kammalakkhano , bhikkhave, bālo, kammalakkhano pandito, apadānasobhanī paññāti
(The fool is characterized by his/her actions/the wise one is characterized by his/her actions/Wisdom shines forth in behaviour.)
(AN 3.2 Lakkhana Sutta)
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Hi Phil,
phil wrote:The clock is ticking on this thread. I don't know how you choose the suttas (Mike?) but if I could put in a personal request sonething from SN12 would be great in the future. I find that whole samyutta (?) difficult....
See this plan: http://dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... 192#p88300" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

SN12 is coming up soon. We are currently covering SN suttas to do with, generally, the truth of suffering, then we will do:
Bhikkhu Bodhi wrote:Then take Part II, the Nidana-samyutta [12]. This represents the noble
truths of the origin and cessation of suffering. You can also look at
Part IV-43 and 44-which again relate to the truth of cessation.
However, I'm alternating this SN plan with other suttas, such as the DN sutta I posted last week.

Further discussion should be directed to: http://dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... 92#p125192" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:anjali:
Mike
phil

Post by phil »

mikenz66 wrote:Hi Phil,
phil wrote:The clock is ticking on this thread. I don't know how you choose the suttas (Mike?) but if I could put in a personal request sonething from SN12 would be great in the future. I find that whole samyutta (?) difficult....
See this plan: http://dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... 192#p88300" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

SN12 is coming up soon. We are currently covering SN suttas to do with, generally, the truth of suffering, then we will do:
Bhikkhu Bodhi wrote:Then take Part II, the Nidana-samyutta [12]. This represents the noble
truths of the origin and cessation of suffering. You can also look at
Part IV-43 and 44-which again relate to the truth of cessation.
However, I'm alternating this SN plan with other suttas, such as the DN sutta I posted last week.

Further discussion should be directed to: http://dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... 92#p125192" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:anjali:
Mike
Thanks Mike, wasn't aware of the study plan.
Kammalakkhano , bhikkhave, bālo, kammalakkhano pandito, apadānasobhanī paññāti
(The fool is characterized by his/her actions/the wise one is characterized by his/her actions/Wisdom shines forth in behaviour.)
(AN 3.2 Lakkhana Sutta)