Maximum of 7 lives to the next level of nirvana.

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
villkorkarma

Maximum of 7 lives to the next level of nirvana.

Post by villkorkarma »

Hello
If one reaches first level of nirvana its a maximum of 7 lives to the next level of nirvana, and then 2 I think, how is it for the highest level of nirvana from the 3 level?
one suffer because one hasnt existed long : )
Reductor

Re: Maximum of 7 lives to the next level of nirvana.

Post by Reductor »

After sotapanna, first 'nirvana', it is a maximum of 7 lives to complete liberation - nibbana.

From sakadagamin and anagamin, the second and third levels, there is only one life left until attaining nibbana.
manas

Post by manas »

I'm beginning to think that this first level of awakening (sotapanna) is actually a very exalted thing, considering that it leads inexorably to final freedom. What really arouses interest is that there is no reason why any of us cannot attain it in this lifetime, if we make the right kind of effort (so long as we haven't done certain extreme heavy kammas).
To the Buddha-refuge i go; to the Dhamma-refuge i go; to the Sangha-refuge i go.
villkorkarma

Post by villkorkarma »

hi guys and girls
no no i think you are wrong goenkaji says maximum 7 lives to second level of nirvana, which i think i reached today. and after that 2 more lives to 3 level and then 1 more life
Reductor

Post by Reductor »

Then the Blessed One, picking up a little bit of dust with the tip of his fingernail, said to the monks, "What do you think, monks? Which is greater: the little bit of dust I have picked up with the tip of my fingernail, or the great earth?"

"The great earth is far greater, lord. The little bit of dust the Blessed One has picked up with the tip of his fingernail is next to nothing. It's not a hundredth, a thousandth, a one hundred-thousandth — this little bit of dust the Blessed One has picked up with the tip of his fingernail — when compared with the great earth."

"In the same way, monks, for a disciple of the noble ones who is consummate in view, an individual who has broken through [to stream-entry], the suffering & stress totally ended & extinguished is far greater. That which remains in the state of having at most seven remaining lifetimes is next to nothing: it's not a hundredth, a thousandth, a one hundred-thousandth, when compared with the previous mass of suffering. That's how great the benefit is of breaking through to the Dhamma, monks. That's how great the benefit is of obtaining the Dhamma eye."

— SN 13.1
It is nice to have confidence in your teacher, don't forget that your own memory may be mistaken.
Reductor

Post by Reductor »

villkorkarma wrote:which i think i reached today.
I would suggest that you NOT hold onto that thought, because either it is, or it is not - holding onto it will only cause trouble for you.
alan

Post by alan »

Does Nirvana have levels? I don't think so.
Not sure what you've been studying, villkor, but it has led you astray.
morning mist

Post by morning mist »

This is indicating the maximum amount of time, but it doesn't mean that it has to take that long. It really depends on the person also. For example, some became a non-returner or Arahant only a few months after Stream-Entry. It doesn't have to take a person 7 lifetime to become an Arahant after Stream Entry. That is just the longest or (((((maximum)))))) amount of time after Stream-Entry. When we look at Kondanna ( one of the first 5 Arahants) we see that he reached Stream Entry after the first Sermon. A few weeks or months later he became an Arahant in this very life. But that is not to say that others won't take longer, say a few lifetimes. If the person is a Stream Enterer already, then the (((longest)) it would take is 7 lives. It depends on a person's skillful effort, etc...
with metta,
Ben

Post by Ben »

villkorkarma wrote:hi guys and girls
no no i think you are wrong goenkaji says maximum 7 lives to second level of nirvana,
That's certainly not my recollection. Perhaps you can provide evidence?
villkorkarma wrote:which i think i reached today.
Seriously, I don't think so.
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Mawkish1983

Post by Mawkish1983 »

I prefered the pre-edit version, Ben. One's reaction to the choice of words in it would have proven most illuminating too, if one cares to see what is illuminated.
Ben

Post by Ben »

Thanks Keith!
I certainly wasn't expecting your reaction. And thank you!
I decided to self-censor for a number of reasons.
Perhaps a more gentle approach might encourage villkorkamma to develop another perspective.
kind regards

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
villkorkarma

Post by villkorkarma »

iam courios about the sources of your saying about first nirvana then 7 lives to freedom.
goenkaji , i think he has studied the palicanon.
villkorkarma

Post by villkorkarma »

and I think that all of us have to go through the same effort of suffering before we reach final freedom.
the forgiveness doesnt has to be perfect, it was something gary r renard heard from 2 masters from the freedomheaven that camed and visited him 17 times,
and spoked about forgiveness in the book out of space. im from sweden but you know the writer right. they also sayed that when you work more with the forgiveness,
you will see more and more through the illusion that we all are the christ.
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Villkorkarma

It's not clear to me what you are trying to discuss. The standard interpretation, along with sutta references, is here:
http://what-buddha-said.net/library/Bud ... ya-puggala" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:anjali:
Mike
robertk

Post by robertk »

villkorkarma wrote:hi guys and girls
no no i think you are wrong goenkaji says maximum 7 lives to second level of nirvana, which i think i reached today. and after that 2 more lives to 3 level and then 1 more life
Oh hilarious, Thanks for that.