Mogok Sayadaw's Vipassana practice

On the cultivation of insight/wisdom
Sidney

Mogok Sayadaw's Vipassana practice

Post by Sidney »

Does anyone know where to get the late Ven. Mogok Sayadaw's instructions on the practice of vipassana?
Mogok Sayadaw was beleived to be an arahat and left relics when his body was cremated and his method of practice is very popular in Burma.
But I am not sure if the transcription of the Sayadaw's discourse on the practice in English is available on the web; can any one help????

Sidney
Ben

Re: Introducing Mahasi Method

Post by Ben »

Sidney wrote:Does anyone know where to get the late Ven. Mogok Sayadaw's instructions on the practice of vipassana?
Mogok Sayadaw was beleived to be an arahat and left relics when his body was cremated and his method of practice is very popular in Burma.
But I am not sure if the transcription of the Sayadaw's discourse on the practice in English is available on the web; can any one help????

Sidney
This might be of assistance: http://www.thisismyanmar.com/nibbana/thtutmg.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
London Mogok Vipassana Centre: http://www.mogok.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Otherwise, I suggest you write to Mogok Vipassana Yeiktha, Bahan, Yangon, Myanmar
kind regards

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Sidney

Post by Sidney »

Thanks, it is the monastry that I am going but they do not have the Sayadaw's discourse transcriped in English for the public.
Mogok does not have a well organised international network as Mahasi.
Sidney
Sidney

Post by Sidney »

Thanks I've found it now.
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Hi Sidney,

Is Mogok Sayadaw's practise related to Mahasi Sayadaw? If not, it might be better if we split up this thread.

:anjali:
Mike
bodom

Re: Mogok Sayadaw's Vipassana practice

Post by bodom »

*MODERATOR NOTE*

As Mogok Sayadaw does not teach the Mahasi method this thread has been split from the Introducing Mahasi Method thread.

Sidney

A selection of Mogok Sayadaw's teachings can be found in this excellent book by Jack Kornfield:

Living Dharma:
Teachings and Meditation Instructions from Twelve Theravada Masters

http://www.shambhala.com/html/catalog/i ... -832-5.cfm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
Ben

Post by Ben »

Interestingly, when I was in Mandalay I was doing a thirty-day course at Dhamma Mandala near Yay Tagun Hill. Next door was a monastery and at the same time they were conducting a 28-day course of vipassana for their monks. We were blasted by the monasteries loudspeaker from 3.45AM to about 10PM at night with discourses, various chantings and meditation instructions. At the end of my course I asked the very senior Burmese old students and the teacher taking our course (head teacher for Myanmar), and they explained that they were doing vipassana in the style of the Mogok Sayadaw. And they said how helpful it was because it was almost identical to what was being taught by SN Goenka!.
kind regards

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

Nicro

Post by Nicro »

bodom wrote:Living Dharma:
Teachings and Meditation Instructions from Twelve Theravada Masters[/b]
http://www.shambhala.com/html/catalog/i ... -832-5.cfm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I was about to put that down. I was looking through the book today at his method and it didn't seem much like Goenka's method to me. I don't know much about Goenka's method, but what I was reading in the book didn't seem like body scanning.
Ben

Post by Ben »

There's more to SN Goenka's method than 'body scanning'.
kind regards

Ben

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Sidney

Post by Sidney »

Nicro wrote:
bodom wrote:Living Dharma:
Teachings and Meditation Instructions from Twelve Theravada Masters[/b]

I was about to put that down. I was looking through the book today at his method and it didn't seem much like Goenka's method to me. I don't know much about Goenka's method, but what I was reading in the book didn't seem like body scanning.
As far as I can gather there are four types or ways to practise vipassana; viz. kaynupassana which is contemplation on the body; e.g. anapana or mindful breathing which is a common practice among yogis, at least for a start.
vedananupassana is contemplation on the sensations; e.g. Ledi, Saya Thetgyi, U Ba Khin, IMC & Goenka
cittanupassana is contemplation on thoughts; sub speciality of the Mogok practice
dhammarnupassana is roughly a contemplation on the Dhamma aspects and has a wide range including contemplation of the four elements (earth, fire, air & water n.b. do not take them literally); on 32 components of the body; on the five aggregates; on paticca samupada; on the qualities of the Buddha; etc.. you can name any and it will be included.

If we were to regard the Mogok practice & Goenka's the same, it is true in a sense as both starts with the practice of kayanupassana, then vedananupassana, and perhaps will end with Dhammarnupassana .

If we were to regard them as different; Goenka's practice emphasises more on vedanarnupassana and may ignore citanupassana at least at the beginning when developing samadhi. In Mogok practice once a yogi attains khanika samadhi (a short spell of one-piontedness) the yogi must open all the portals and watch any stimulus that comes in and try to contemplate its beginning and the end; that includes thoughts. The Sayadaw gave an example of a spider sitting in the middle of the web awaiting any insect that gets trapped on any part of the web and then goes for it. The Sayadaw emphasized the importance of not getting too deep in samatha as it will produce attractions that will distract the yogi from proceeding in the right direction; and instead do vipassana; i.e. open and see as it is.
The next step in Mogok practice is to analyze and reflect to observe and understand anicca, dukkaha and anatta; i.e. Dhammanupassana. Afterwards try to observe and understand what you are experiencing with the paticca samupadda. This practice will ensure a yogi to experience the three characteristics of nature by thutamanya, cintamanya & bhavanamanya nana.
Most yoigis who are ardent in the practice will reach this objective which will ensure a good destination for at least once.
For those who have more paramis will procced to further stages and will practice equanimity and wait for the time to come, which may be similar to that of Goenkaji's; but without real understanding of anicca, dukkha and anatta there is always a risk of ego which is a hinderance to liberation.
metta,

Sidney
Sidney

Post by Sidney »

You may want to know what is special about the Mahasi's practice.
It emphasizes on the continuity of awareness for as much as possible; i.e. while we are doing our daily chores. It is the necessacity for those who are awaiting the right time to come; especially good for yogis with a higher parami and has already attained insights. The basics are more or less the same with Mogok.

People may say mixing can be a hinderance; i.e. too many cooks spoil the broth.
However, there are certain things and times where right mixing produces excellent results, provided you know what you are doing; e.g. in producing scents and whisky.
If I were to mix my choice would be as follows:
1. start with Goenka, or IMC
2. continue with Mogok
3. wait with Mahasi.

Good luck and best wishes!

Sidney
Moggalana

Post by Moggalana »

bodom wrote: Living Dharma:
Teachings and Meditation Instructions from Twelve Theravada Masters

This book is online at Google Books: http://books.google.de/books?id=8InEkEp ... &q&f=false" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (direct link to the chapter on Mogok Sayadaw's teachings)
Let it come. Let it be. Let it go.
Soe Win Htut

Post by Soe Win Htut »

Sidney wrote:Does anyone know where to get the late Ven. Mogok Sayadaw's instructions on the practice of vipassana?

Sidney
Nowadays, in myanmar, Mogok Sayadaw's Vipassana Way is the most well known and has being practiced most by Myanmar people.
Almost every ward/township of the our country, Myanmar has Mogok Vipassana meditation centre which will be small or big.
As much as I can know about Mogok Sayadaw's Vipassana Way;

Sayadaw Gyi mentioned and taught the importance of the role of the understanding the Dependent Origination(Paticca Samuppada). and explained what is Vipassana in details.
In his way, he taught his disciples not to note relative truths or not to do meditation at first.
At first, it is necessary to have right understanding for Vipassana Meditation via knowledge based on learning (Suta-maya Panna).
Without right understanding, any meditation will be less advantages.
Right understanding is the most importance in Vipassana practice.
To have right understanding in Vipassana, at first we need to understand the Dependent Origination(Paticca Samuppada) by knowledge (Suta-maya Panna).
(i.e we need first to accept the truth that there is no something, someone, individual , I , me , mine, you , yours but just arising and disappearing nature __impermanent nature which is forever constant and its illusive creation to think the relative truths__created truths as reality (Just dukkha sacca and samudaya sacca) in Sankhara Loka.)

Here is my collection of the Mogok vipassana method ebooks in English in below link;

There will be six ebooks;

http://www.mediafire.com/?twtj4aldjdowt" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Awareness(mental noting) alone is not enough for enlightenment. (Ashin Tejaniya)
Created truths(Sammuti Sacca) are just to be used only, experienced only and known onlyWithout rejecting and attaching them with the idea of reality.
Vipassana (Insight meditation) is changing from the volitional action to action-only, attachment to detachment, misunderstanding to right understanding.
To Learn more....
http://www.thabarwa.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, or
http://www.thabarwa.org/guided-insight-mp3-talks/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
myadeepa

Post by myadeepa »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mogok_Sayadaw_(Venerable_Sayadawgyi_U_Wimala" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)
http://www.dhammadownload.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I recommend this camp.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2R8m9YbS ... re=related" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2R8m9YbS ... re=related" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The teacher( U Kyaw Sein ) from Zalun Township, Hinthada District, Ayeyawady Division of Myanmar, One of famous mogoke vipassana meditation camps, intensive training
Javier

Post by Javier »

hi everybody
i reckon the Mogok Sayadaw method looks very interesting...

I'm going to Burma on January and i'm looking for a meditation retreat and I think I would like to do a retreat on Mogok's meditation "tradition".
Do you know if is possible to do in English? in this case is it possible just to pop up in the place and start the retreat? (as in so many places in Thailand...); is it possible to do 10 days retreat? (the classical 28days is a bit too much for me ), is the adress that one in the beginning of this post?

thank you so much