Pali Canon

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Dhammakid

Re: Pali Canon

Post by Dhammakid »

Thank you for all the wonderful information, everyone.

I would like to start reading the Tipitaka as well. Where can I get complete sets of what is currently available? Amazon?

Namaste,
Dhammakid
rick

Post by rick »

Greetings Dhammakid---Amazon would certainly be the least expensive way, that is how I assembled my sets, I just checked and they have some good prices--with the added bonus of free shipping over $25.00. In Peace---Rick :)
Dhammakid

Post by Dhammakid »

rick wrote:Greetings Dhammakid---Amazon would certainly be the least expensive way, that is how I assembled my sets, I just checked and they have some good prices--with the added bonus of free shipping over $25.00. In Peace---Rick :)
Thanks Rick! How much did you spend all together?

And does anyone know which parts of the Tipitaka are and are not available on A2I?

Namaste,
Dhammakid
rick

Post by rick »

Hello Dhammakid---I spent quite a bit, as I got all the 3 Nikayas, plus the Numerical Discourses. However, the first one I got was "In the Buddha's Words", which made me want to read more. I couldn't purchase all of them at once, living on S.S. doesn't allow for that.--Check out Amazon, though, all those books are over $25 I believe, and therefore eligible for free shipping.---Rick
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

rick wrote:Greetings Dhammakid---Amazon would certainly be the least expensive way, that is how I assembled my sets, I just checked and they have some good prices--with the added bonus of free shipping over $25.00. In Peace---Rick :)
Using the Amazon Used category, not New, is pretty good. But ABE can sometimes beat Amazon for used prices:

http://www.abebooks.com/?cm_ven=ggl&cm_ ... hgodCm9zQw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Good and evil have no fixed form. It's as easy to turn from doing bad to doing good as it is to flip over the hand from the back to the palm. It's simply up to us to do it. Master Hsuan Hua.
stuka

Post by stuka »

Dhammanando wrote:Hi Retro,
retrofuturist wrote:I understand it's actually quite a long Nikaya in terms of wordcount, does anyone know for sure?
Why, of course we do! You mean to tell us you've never bothered to count how many words there are in the four Nikayas!? What have been doing since you became a Buddhist?

Seriously though, I’ve never done a word count, but the Pali text files on my computer are of the following sizes:

Vinaya Pitaka 3.9 MB

Sutta Pitaka:

- Digha Nikaya 1.4 MB
- Majjhima Nikaya 2.3 MB
- Samyutta Nikaya 2.5 MB
- Anguttara Nikaya 2.9 MB
- Khuddaka Nikaya 6.6 MB

Abhidhamma Pitaka 8.1 MB

Best wishes,
Dhammanando Bhikkhu

If one is really interested, once can simply open the file in MS Word (or, probably, any other pro- or better-consumer- word processor), and use the "Word Count" function in the "Tools" menu.

Do you have each (or any) of the above in complete electronic form in English, Bhante?
stuka

Post by stuka »

....but keep one eye on Ebay, as well. I've gotten some good deals there. Just picked up an MLDB for $30, including shipping. I also picked up a complete 3-volume set of Nyanamoli's original translation of the Majjhima, edited by Phra Khanitpalo. It is entitled "A Treasury of the Buddha's Words, and is available from Bodhi Trader in the Land of Oz (Ebay user bodhi-trader2003 , http://stores.ebay.com/MAHABODHI-ARTS" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ).

I like the organization of this series. The Suttas are arranged according to general theme, rather than the popular but quite arbitrary numbering system that we generally see today. The Suttas are gathered in eight sections by (more or less) their relevance to: Lay people, Bhikkhu life, Training in Dhamma, Views held by non-Buddhists, Suttas on "wisdom" (panna) which are phrased in terms of dhammas rather than persons, attainment of Arhantship, a group of four Suttas that address the Buddha's life before Awakening and just after, and Suttas in which the Buddha speaks of himself as the Tathagata.

If there is interest, I will scan the contents pages to show the organization. Khanitphalo's introduction is quite good as well, and I might like to scan and share it here as well.

Nyanamoli died (young) before completing his translations, and Khantipalo changed some translations here and there, as did Bodhi. Both note the major changes they did. Also, only 90 Suttas were translated and presented in this series.
Dhammanando

Post by Dhammanando »

Hi Stuka,
stuka wrote:Do you have each (or any) of the above in complete electronic form in English, Bhante?
No. I have the Tipitaka and it commentaries in Pali and Thai translation, but only bits and pieces from the English translations. I was given a CD some years ago on which a Thai monk had scanned and OCR'ed all the PTS translations in the Mahachula University library, but as it's a rather poor library some volumes from each Nikaya are missing. Also, the OCR'ing is so poor and the works haven't been proof-read, so I've never find any use for them.

Best wishes,
Dhammanando Bhikkhu
Yena yena hi maññanti,
tato taṃ hoti aññathā.

In whatever way they conceive it,
It turns out otherwise.
(Sn. 588)
stuka

Post by stuka »

Thank you, Bhante.

I had thought that at some point I had run across some reference that alluded to availability of Bodhi's MN/CDB/DN series, or at least one or another of them, in electronic form (on CDs, download, etc). Was I mistaken about this?

If so, would it not make sense to just release the texts in electronic form, for the benefit of all...?
Dhammanando

Post by Dhammanando »

Hi Stuka,
stuka wrote:I had thought that at some point I had run across some reference that alluded to availability of Bodhi's MN/CDB/DN series, or at least one or another of them, in electronic form (on CDs, download, etc). Was I mistaken about this?
I know there is a CD circulating that has Word files of Bodhi's MN and Walshe's DN on it (but not CN). But I don't know what its provenance is or whether it has been done with the approval of Wisdom Publications.
If so, would it not make sense to just release the texts in electronic form, for the benefit of all...?
It would make good dhammic sense, but I don't know about commercial sense.

Best wishes,
Dhammanando Bhikkhu
Yena yena hi maññanti,
tato taṃ hoti aññathā.

In whatever way they conceive it,
It turns out otherwise.
(Sn. 588)
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

hi all remined me of a video on youtube http://uk.youtube.com/results?search_qu ... type=&aq=f" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
at the end he talks about some of the points discussed here and of a CD of the complete Korean Canon I think it is, but it is at the end
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
fig tree

Post by fig tree »

Dhammakid wrote: And does anyone know which parts of the Tipitaka are and are not available on A2I?
I don't think there's any simple pattern to the choice of suttas for which people have contributed translations. You can see for yourself by checking the index at http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/index.html. If you follow the link for the Digha Nikaya, for example, you find that it has DN 2, 9, 11, 12, 15.... It says it doesn't have anything from the Abhidhamma yet.

Fig Tree
Dhammakid

Post by Dhammakid »

rick wrote:Hello Dhammakid---I spent quite a bit, as I got all the 3 Nikayas, plus the Numerical Discourses. However, the first one I got was "In the Buddha's Words", which made me want to read more. I couldn't purchase all of them at once, living on S.S. doesn't allow for that.--Check out Amazon, though, all those books are over $25 I believe, and therefore eligible for free shipping.---Rick
Thanks for the info, Rick. It helps a lot.

:namaste:
Dhammakid
Dhammakid

Post by Dhammakid »

Will wrote:
Using the Amazon Used category, not New, is pretty good. But ABE can sometimes beat Amazon for used prices:

http://www.abebooks.com/?cm_ven=ggl&cm_ ... hgodCm9zQw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Oh wow, I'll have to check out ABE for sure.
Dhammakid

Post by Dhammakid »

stuka wrote:

....but keep one eye on Ebay, as well. I've gotten some good deals there. Just picked up an MLDB for $30, including shipping. I also picked up a complete 3-volume set of Nyanamoli's original translation of the Majjhima, edited by Phra Khanitpalo. It is entitled "A Treasury of the Buddha's Words, and is available from Bodhi Trader in the Land of Oz (Ebay user bodhi-trader2003 , http://stores.ebay.com/MAHABODHI-ARTS" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ).

I like the organization of this series. The Suttas are arranged according to general theme, rather than the popular but quite arbitrary numbering system that we generally see today. The Suttas are gathered in eight sections by (more or less) their relevance to: Lay people, Bhikkhu life, Training in Dhamma, Views held by non-Buddhists, Suttas on "wisdom" (panna) which are phrased in terms of dhammas rather than persons, attainment of Arhantship, a group of four Suttas that address the Buddha's life before Awakening and just after, and Suttas in which the Buddha speaks of himself as the Tathagata.

If there is interest, I will scan the contents pages to show the organization. Khanitphalo's introduction is quite good as well, and I might like to scan and share it here as well.

Nyanamoli died (young) before completing his translations, and Khantipalo changed some translations here and there, as did Bodhi. Both note the major changes they did. Also, only 90 Suttas were translated and presented in this series.
Thanks Stuka, for the great information. I totally forgot about Ebay, I'll have to check them out.

Please feel free to scan the contents page you spoke of. I'm interested in seeing it.

:namaste:
Dhammakid