Exercising then not eating. Harmful or okay?

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.
James the Giant

Exercising then not eating. Harmful or okay?

Post by James the Giant »

I'm staying at a monastery (Thai forest tradition, here in New Zealand) for 5 months, and I'm following the 8 precepts, so I can't eat after midday. Yet the only time available for me to exercise (yoga or on the drowing machine) is after noon, around 4pm.
This means I exercise and then can't refuel afterwards. Actually, we are allowed fruit juice and chocolate, and a little cheese if we are feeling poorly.
I'm wondering if this is bad for my health, or perhaps good?
I remember from my college days that the coaches said we should always eat after a training session?

I'm just trying to maintain a basic level of fitness so that I'm not a complete pudding when I finish here after vassa finishes.

Thanks in advance for any advice, folks!
Then,
saturated with joy,
you will put an end to suffering and stress.
SN 9.11
daverupa

Re: Exercising then not eating. Harmful or okay?

Post by daverupa »

Striving to keep fit while on a retreat strikes me as a bit of vanity, but that may be a faulty bias on my part. Buddhist monastics have always done a bit of walking up and down, and wandering by stages, all on one meal a day, so I'm fairly certain you'll be okay if you adjust your fitness routine to synergize with the retreat environment. Yoga sequences are a good maintenance mechanism, but a daily walk is very healthy as well, I would go so far as to say sufficiently so. Are you really that worried about the state of your body?
Householder, he who, carrying this body around, would consider that it is healthy even for a moment, what else is he but a fool?
~SN 22.1
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
James the Giant

I'm not on retreat, the monks are. I'm here serving them. The monks also use the rowing machine and do yoga, so I'm not doing anything that is abnormal at this monastery.
A nice walk is good, but my job at home in normal lay life is a physical one, and just walking doesn't cut it.
Thanks though
Then,
saturated with joy,
SN 9.11
Nicro

Post by Nicro »

daverupa wrote:Striving to keep fit while on a retreat strikes me as a bit of vanity, but that may be a faulty bias on my part. Buddhist monastics have always done a bit of walking up and down, and wandering by stages, all on one meal a day, so I'm fairly certain you'll be okay if you adjust your fitness routine to synergize with the retreat environment. Yoga sequences are a good maintenance mechanism, but a daily walk is very healthy as well, I would go so far as to say sufficiently so. Are you really that worried about the state of your body?
Householder, he who, carrying this body around, would consider that it is healthy even for a moment, what else is he but a fool?
~SN 22.1

How is staying healthy vain?
James the Giant

Nicro wrote:
How is staying healthy vain?
I can see where Daverupa is coming from, a lot of folks use exercise as a thing for beaut ification, to stay looking ripped and hot.
To feed their ego or body image.
And of course, ANYTHING to avoid actually sitting down, breathing, and paying attention to this fathom-long-body.

For myself, I'm satisfied my exercise is appropriate. I talked to the Ajahn here (37 rains! )and he thinks it's fine.

I'm just interested in the nutrition afterwards thing.
Then,
saturated with joy,
SN 9.11
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Hi James,

Your body will get used to the different schedule.

I actually prefer to eat and exercise later. I know most people do the opposite, but I like the feel of having a full tank and then using that energy later in exercise. I exercise in the late afternoon or evening, after the one big meal at lunch.
alan

Post by alan »

Muscles need to be fed. If you work them hard and do not feed them, well, what do you think will happen?
David2

Post by David2 »

alan wrote:Muscles need to be fed. If you work them hard and do not feed them, well, what do you think will happen?
If he eats previously on the day he works out and if he eats on the next day, I don't see any problem...
As long as he does not want to become a professional body builder...
But I don't think a life as a professional body builder is very healthy.
alan

Post by alan »

And you base that on what?
David2

Post by David2 »

alan wrote:And you base that on what?
Just look back in the history of humanity.
30,000 years ago, there was no agriculture, no refrigerator, no shops where you can buy food, etc.
It was common to have longer fasting times.
The human body is designed for this. (by evolution)
santa100

Post by santa100 »

James the Giant wrote:
Actually, we are allowed fruit juice and chocolate, and a little cheese if we are feeling poorly
Listen to your body. If after a few days of exercising and your body protests, go see the Abbot and mention to him your current situation, that what you do for a living requires physical strength. See if you could get that daily cheese and fruit juice allowance. Work extra hard on your meditation, your other precepts, and help many others, that way you could make up for that little "crossing" of one precept. Be honest to yourself and the Buddha. For your honesty and sincerity, He would probably give you a broad compassionate smile instead of chastising you. Good luck..
Goofaholix

Post by Goofaholix »

I'd have thought yoga was better on an empty stomach.

Unless you're bodybuilding I don't see what the issue is.

In Theravadin monasteries everywhere people are doing physical activity on an empty stomach without problems, walking meditation is exersize.
Pronouns (no self / not self)
“Peace is within oneself to be found in the same place as agitation and suffering. It is not found in a forest or on a hilltop, nor is it given by a teacher. Where you experience suffering, you can also find freedom from suffering. Trying to run away from suffering is actually to run toward it.”
― Ajahn Chah
alan

Post by alan »

My view of exercise is intense activity. After that, you need to feed your muscles.
But if you view exercise as "moving around doing stuff", then it is Ok to do that without eating afterwards--but not ideal.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

alan wrote:My view of exercise is intense activity. After that, you need to feed your muscles.
What happens if you don't? So far, I haven't dropped dead or fainted. When I get a check-up with the physician, I am told I am fitter than the 25 year-olds he sees; better numbers on the blood work, heart rate, blood pressure, cholesterol, etc.
alan

Post by alan »

Happy to hear you are in great shape!
For the purpose of the argument, I'm wondering what you consider exercise.