Question about figurine

Pictures of revered teachers, places, rupas, temples, bhikkhus, shrine rooms etc. that bring inspiration to our members. Pilgrimage advice, devotion etc.
Scott1989

Question about figurine

Post by Scott1989 »

I obtained this figurine the other day and I was wondering if maybe someone could tell me what it represents and where it might have come from.
figurine.jpg
figurine.jpg (29.99 KiB) Viewed 2791 times
Kim OHara

Re: Question about figurine

Post by Kim OHara »

It doesn't look either Buddhist or Asian to me but it could be either or both. Where you got it (country, at least) and roughly how old you think it is, would help.

:namaste:
Kim
daverupa

Post by daverupa »

It represents an androgynous figure meditating in a posture not likely to last long, either wearing a mala or breaking the 7th precept.

;)
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
Scott1989

Post by Scott1989 »

I think it is Asian. It came from a closet filled with Buddha figurines from a China shop. Not all figurines were Chinese though and not all represented Buddha, I also saw some Japanese stuff and stuff that I think came from Thailand. This one was different from the rest though, there was only one item that looked a bit like it and that one represented "see no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil". I asked the man in the shop and he said they probably came from Nepal, but he wasn't sure. I don't think it is Japanese, because it is wearing an orange robe.
daverupa

Post by daverupa »

Maybe it's the lost "fourth monkey" who does no evil.
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
Monkey Mind

Post by Monkey Mind »

Maybe it's this guy, before he got his tattoo:

"As I am, so are others;
as others are, so am I."
Having thus identified self and others,
harm no one nor have them harmed.

Sutta Nipāta 3.710
Scott1989

Post by Scott1989 »

Lol that would be cool, Avatar is the $*%*.
I guess it will remain a mystery, ah well imbalanced posture or not, I like it and I think it looks unique.
Dan74

Post by Dan74 »

In the Far East (Japan and Korea) they sometimes have a "Baby Buddha" statue which can represent the budding Buddha within ourselves. In Japanese it's called Jizo I think. On Buddhas Birthday this figure is bathed using a ladle of fragrant water - a nice ritual especially for the kids.

This looks like one of these to me although the ones I have seen have all been standing.
_/|\_
Scott1989

Post by Scott1989 »

Edit: this post was made in a more ignorant state. It did not further and was removed :D
Last edited by Scott1989 on Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
kirk5a

Post by kirk5a »

Scott1989 wrote:The way I see it, it doesn't matter what you do in the world, because you will die anyway and in the end nothing will have made a difference.
That's how you see it right now, but you actually might be wrong about that. So don't do anything you might regret. Then you'll benefit either way and at least die with a mind at peace.
"When one thing is practiced & pursued, ignorance is abandoned, clear knowing arises, the conceit 'I am' is abandoned, latent tendencies are uprooted, fetters are abandoned. Which one thing? Mindfulness immersed in the body." -AN 1.230
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

:goodpost:

Kim