the great vegetarian debate

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
Ben

Re: the great vegetarian debate

Post by Ben »

Thank you, Alan.
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

alan wrote: There is a new consensus in dietary science, and it does not support the low fat vegetarian approach. I've seen the results in my own body--I'm more muscular and have much lower body fat than I did in my veggie days.

I've tried many approaches throughout the years and am always looking for new information. I offer you the best of what I know now. I offer it because I like to help.
But can you generalize from your experiences to everyone else?
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
alan

Post by alan »

What else would I use as a basis other than my own research and experience, my passion to get this right, and my desire to share?
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

alan wrote:What else would I use as a basis other than my own research and experience, my passion to get this right, and my desire to share?
Because it is not a scientific study. I happen to eat a low fat vegetarian, mostly vegan diet and I am probably in the same shape as you or better. But I wouldn't use that as "proof" of the vegetarian diet being the best. We are probably in excellent shape due to our fitness regimens, more than our diets.

http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.ph ... ad#p142765" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
alan

Post by alan »

I'm doing my best to provide useful information to those who care. I have no ideology to sell.
alan

Post by alan »

This debate has become boring. Nothing I can say will open a closed mind.
Vegetarians: There is something you can add to your diet that will make you healthier and slimmer. It will give you more energy and enhance the taste of most foods. Interested? Send a pm.
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

alan wrote:This debate has become boring. Nothing I can say will open a closed mind.
Don't be so closed minded as to assume that someone who does not agree with you is closed minded.
Vegetarians: There is something you can add to your diet that will make you healthier and slimmer. It will give you more energy and enhance the taste of most foods. Interested? Send a pm.
Animal fat?
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
alan

Post by alan »

Ever the contrarian, tilt. Its starting to wear thin.
I'd like to hear a thoughtful, honest reply, and I'm sure you are capable of that. But you often take the easy way. You can do better. Show me more. I know you have it.
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

alan wrote:Ever the contrarian, tilt. Its starting to wear thin.
Not be a contrarian; rather, simply pointing out that well informed opinions differ.
I'd like to hear a thoughtful, honest reply, and I'm sure you are capable of that. But you often take the easy way. You can do better. Show me more. I know you have it.
But, Alan, an honest reply to what? You have voiced a few opinions, but have offered little to nothing to back them up.
It will give you more energy and enhance the taste of most foods.
What is there to reply to here? Animal fat might enhance food taste for you, but taste is subjective. So, what is your point? More energy than what?

retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
alan wrote:There is something you can add to your diet that will make you healthier and slimmer. It will give you more energy and enhance the taste of most foods.
Is it...

ImageImage

:?:

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Ben

Post by Ben »

Hi Retro

It could also be this:

http://www.daleysfruit.com.au/fruit%20pages/miracle.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MIRACLE FRUIT, Synsepalum dulcificum
Although not sweet itself this miraculous fruit, consumed fresh and allowed to coat the mouth alters your tastebuds so that everything you eat tastes sweet, lasting for an hour or two.
kind regards

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Sweet
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
chownah

Post by chownah »

It sounds like a psychedelic drug whose action is specific to taste buds....the world will be a better place as soon as it is outlawed....
chownah
Lazy_eye

Post by Lazy_eye »

alan wrote:There is a new consensus in dietary science, and it does not support the low fat vegetarian approach.
Alan,

Could you explain more about this new scientific consensus?

The consensus I'm aware of is that saturated and (even worse) trans fats should be minimized, and a moderate amount of unsaturated fats encouraged. Vegetarian diets are not necessarily low-fat, and diets that include meat are not necessarily high-fat, so it's possible to eat healthfully either way depending on what you choose.

The "good" fats can be obtained from avocados, sunflower or flax seeds, soybeans, walnuts and other non-meat sources, as well as from poultry or fish. The meat sources, however, also contribute higher levels of "bad" fat, and that's especially true of red meat.

I'm a fan of sunflower seed butter. More nutritious than peanut butter, and it's really yummy.
manas

Post by manas »

chownah wrote:It sounds like a psychedelic drug whose action is specific to taste buds....the world will be a better place as soon as it is outlawed....
chownah
Hi chownah,
while I agree with you that messing with our already skewed perceptions is not good, I also remind you that those (mostly) corporate tools we supposedly elect to office called 'politicians' don't even have the slightest right to outlaw or prohibit any plant or fruit; these are all part of Nature, and it is up to individual human beings to know what the appropriate use of each plant is (should it be eaten, or not?). We don't need to be nannied by ninnies. At most they should just educate people if they think there is some risk to consuming any plant.

:namaste:
To the Buddha-refuge i go; to the Dhamma-refuge i go; to the Sangha-refuge i go.