RIP Nick Adenhart

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
Tex

RIP Nick Adenhart

Post by Tex »

Nick Adenhart was one of the best pitching prospects in Major League Baseball, as of yesterday. Every scout drooled over this 22 year-old.

After an undefeated spring (pre-season exhibitions), he had earned his spot in the Angels' rotation.

In his debut last night, he pitched 6 scoreless innings. It's hard to imagine things going any better. It must have been the night of his life, how often does a lifelong dream really come true?...

And a few hours later he was killed, along with two of his friends, by a drunk driver.

The drunk driver is now being charged with triple manslaughter, felony DUI, and hit-and-run (he fled on foot). And he may be charged with murder, though I don't think it matters, he'll serve the rest of life behind bars either way. He is also exactly 22 years old.

Sigh...

I don't know why I typed this up, other than that it's been on my mind all day -- it's such a striking and tragic reminder of anicca and the consequences of being unmindful.

What a damned shame. What a damned completely-preventable shame.

Both.

Sigh...
"To reach beyond fear and danger we must sharpen and widen our vision. We have to pierce through the deceptions that lull us into a comfortable complacency, to take a straight look down into the depths of our existence, without turning away uneasily or running after distractions." -- Bhikkhu Bodhi

"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -- Heraclitus
cooran

Re: RIP Nick Adenhart

Post by cooran »

Hello Tex,

Also a reminder that there ought to be urgency in our practice - our lives are only as long as the next outbreath .. if we don't breath in again.

Kammasakata ....

karuna,
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

May all beings be happy.

:anjali:

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
pererin

Post by pererin »

Chris wrote:Also a reminder that there ought to be urgency in our practice - our lives are only as long as the next outbreath
Indeed.

And may I ask the Forum to join with me in thinking of the people of L'Aquila at this time: a community I knew when I lived in Italy as a very young man.

Metta,

Pererin
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Chris wrote: Also a reminder that there ought to be urgency in our practice - our lives are only as long as the next outbreath .. if we don't breath in again.
Yes, my wife is not much of a sports fan, but even she remembered seeing him on the highlights of the sports section during the news the previous day and now he is dead, gone, in the 'bardo' or to the next existence. One second here, gone the next.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

pererin wrote: And may I ask the Forum to join with me in thinking of the people of L'Aquila at this time: a community I knew when I lived in Italy as a very young man.
:yingyang: :namaste: :anjali: :buddha1: :buddha2:

:group: