Upekkha's value in a picture

Post sayings and stories you find interesting or useful.
User avatar
David N. Snyder
Site Admin
Posts: 8291
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:15 am
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 1001
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada
Contact:

Upekkha's value in a picture

Postby David N. Snyder » Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:12 pm

Image

Have you ever noticed how some people who are very jolly and funny, the life of the party, also have another side? It seems the two actor masks really do go together and that one must spend an equal amount of time with each extreme; unless one is more balanced, with equanimity.

User avatar
christopher:::
Posts: 1326
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2009 12:56 am

Re: Upekkha's value in a picture

Postby christopher::: » Sun Aug 07, 2011 3:55 am

David N. Snyder wrote:Image

Have you ever noticed how some people who are very jolly and funny, the life of the party, also have another side? It seems the two actor masks really do go together and that one must spend an equal amount of time with each extreme; unless one is more balanced, with equanimity.


It's also important to balance upekkha with the 3 other brahmaviharas. When done skillfully that can help bring one to a much brighter & balanced happiness, yes?

:smile:
"As Buddhists, we should aim to develop relationships that are not predominated by grasping and clinging. Our relationships should be characterised by the brahmaviharas of metta (loving kindness), mudita (sympathetic joy), karuna (compassion), and upekkha (equanimity)."
~post by Ben, Jul 02, 2009

User avatar
Kim OHara
Posts: 3224
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:47 am
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 6
Location: North Queensland, Australia

Re: Upekkha's value in a picture

Postby Kim OHara » Sun Aug 07, 2011 4:05 am

Yes.
:meditate:
Kim

User avatar
David N. Snyder
Site Admin
Posts: 8291
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:15 am
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 1001
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada
Contact:

Re: Upekkha's value in a picture

Postby David N. Snyder » Sun Aug 07, 2011 4:08 am

christopher::: wrote:It's also important to balance upekkha with the 3 other brahmaviharas. When done skillfully that can help bring one to a much brighter & balanced happiness, yes?


Good point! Otherwise, one might end up with indifference, the near enemy of equanimity.

User avatar
christopher:::
Posts: 1326
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2009 12:56 am

Re: Upekkha's value in a picture

Postby christopher::: » Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:38 am

David N. Snyder wrote:
christopher::: wrote:It's also important to balance upekkha with the 3 other brahmaviharas. When done skillfully that can help bring one to a much brighter & balanced happiness, yes?


Good point! Otherwise, one might end up with indifference, the near enemy of equanimity.


exactly!
"As Buddhists, we should aim to develop relationships that are not predominated by grasping and clinging. Our relationships should be characterised by the brahmaviharas of metta (loving kindness), mudita (sympathetic joy), karuna (compassion), and upekkha (equanimity)."
~post by Ben, Jul 02, 2009

PeterB
Posts: 3909
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:35 pm
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 6

Re: Upekkha's value in a picture

Postby PeterB » Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:35 am

christopher::: wrote:
David N. Snyder wrote:Image

Have you ever noticed how some people who are very jolly and funny, the life of the party, also have another side? It seems the two actor masks really do go together and that one must spend an equal amount of time with each extreme; unless one is more balanced, with equanimity.


It's also important to balance upekkha with the 3 other brahmaviharas. When done skillfully that can help bring one to a much brighter & balanced happiness, yes?

:smile:

And vice versa....metta without upekkha becomes sentimental identification with the other.
They all hang together.

plwk
Posts: 1170
Joined: Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:14 am
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 6
Contact:

Re: Upekkha's value in a picture

Postby plwk » Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:36 am

Image
Bhikkhus, if you develop and make much this one thing,
it invariably leads to weariness, cessation, appeasement, realization and extinction.
What is it? It is recollecting the Enlightened One.
If this single thing is recollected and made much,
it invariably leads to weariness, cessation, appeasement, realization and extinction.

Anguttara-Nikaya: Ekanipata: Ekadhammapali: Pañhamavagga
VSM VMM WBB TBHT WTBT My Page


Return to “Dhammic Stories”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests