Visuddhi Magga on Access To Insight

Exploring the Dhamma, as understood from the perspective of the ancient Pali commentaries.
Zom

Visuddhi Magga on Access To Insight

Post by Zom »

I was a bit surprised, but:

Visuddhimagga — The Path of Purification 2011.08.07

A bow of gratitude to the many ATI volunteers who helped with the transcription of this important classic text! — jtb

Visuddhimagga — The Path of Purification: The Classic Manual of Buddhist Doctrine and Meditation, by Bhikkhu Ñāṇamoli.
"The Visuddhimagga is the 'great treatise' of Theravada Buddhism, an encyclopedic manual of Buddhist doctrine and meditation written in the fifth century by the great Buddhist commentator, Bhadantacariya Buddhaghosa. The author's intention in composing this book is to organize the various teachings of the Buddha, found throughout the Pali Canon, into a clear and comprehensive path leading to the final Buddhist goal, Nibbana, the state of complete purification. In the course of his treatise Buddhaghosa gives full and detailed instructions on the forty subjects of meditation aimed at concentration, an elaborate account of the Buddhist Abhidhamma philosophy, and detailed descriptions of the stages of insight culminating in final liberation" [summary from the back cover of the BPS edition]. [Not available in HTML]

Direct link to download PDF:
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/auth ... on2011.pdf

:reading: :tongue:
tiltbillings

Re: Visuddhi Magga on Access To Insight

Post by tiltbillings »

• Yay!!!
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Nyana

Post by Nyana »

Good stuff Zom.

All the best,

Geoff
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

The project was announced some time ago.
http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.ph ... =20#p32156" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Nice to see that it's done!

This is a huge improvement over the pirated scan discussed in the above thread. Having a searchable PDF will be very useful.

:anjali:
Mike
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

The nice thing about having this text in PDF is a search function, making it so much easier to find things. This is an important text and it is a good thing to have it available in such a format.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Does anyone have an idea of how much has been modified/corrected in this edition?

BPS lists it at $13.75, so a paper copy is very affordable.
http://www.bps.lk/translationsfrompali.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mike
Ben

Post by Ben »

mikenz66 wrote: BPS lists it at $13.75, so a paper copy is very affordable.
http://www.bps.lk/translationsfrompali.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Indeed. And it doesn't require a power source and operating system!
kind regards

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Ben

Post by Ben »

And may I add, Anumodana to all those involved in the project.
The Vism is a jewel!
kind regards

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
bodom

Post by bodom »

Excellent!!

Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Good news indeed. :anjali:
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
phil

Post by phil »

Nice, an indication perhaps that the forces that be at ATI are mending the dismissive attitude towards Abhidhamma that they show in their brief intros to the tipitika, at least it was like that last time I checked. Abhidhamma galore in Vism.
Kammalakkhano , bhikkhave, bālo, kammalakkhano pandito, apadānasobhanī paññāti
(The fool is characterized by his/her actions/the wise one is characterized by his/her actions/Wisdom shines forth in behaviour.)
(AN 3.2 Lakkhana Sutta)
Beneath the Wheel

Post by Beneath the Wheel »

This is great. Very glad to see this available.

If anyone wants to take a shot at making a kindle-friendly version I'd be very grateful. I've tried my hand it it already and I just can't get Calibre to handle it correctly.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

tiltbillings wrote:The nice thing about having this text in PDF is a search function, making it so much easier to find things. This is an important text and it is a good thing to have it available in such a format.
:thumbsup:

Good news. I have a few hard copies, but that is a good feature with the word find / search function.
ancientbuddhism

Post by ancientbuddhism »

Finally a PDF copy of this is out! Unfortunately it is without bookmarks or links in the Contents pages for navigation.
I say, beware of all enterprises that require new clothes, and not rather a new wearer of clothes.” – Henry David Thoreau, Walden, 1854

Secure your own mask before assisting others. – NORTHWEST AIRLINES (Pre-Flight Instruction)

A Handful of Leaves
daverupa

Post by daverupa »

Any plans for a Vimutti Magga?
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]