Someone got experience with nordic walking?

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.
David2

Someone got experience with nordic walking?

Post by David2 »

Hi,
I am thinking about starting nordic walking - just waiting for the nordic walking sticks to arrive.
While normal walking you use 70 % of your muscels, while nordic walking you use 90 % of your muscles, at least this is what I read on Wikipedia.
So I guess nordic walking can compare with swimming in usage of muscels.
The advantage is you do not need a swimming pool - just your sticks - that's all.

Has someone here ever tried nordic walking, if so what is your opinion of it? Is it fun, is it a good exercise, and what do you like more, "normal" walking or nordic walking?
Ben

Re: Someone got experience with nordic walking?

Post by Ben »

Hi David,
I know nothing about it. But...
I would like to know how you go and I'm sure other members will be interested as well.
All the best with your wholesome physical endeavours, David!
kind regards

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
cooran

Post by cooran »

Interesting, David.

Like Ben, I knew nothing about it - but I found some instruction videos:

http://www.google.com.au/#hl=en&q=nordi ... 25&bih=694" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

with metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
ulphe

Post by ulphe »

Hi I am a qualified Nordic walking instructor and you certainly can work a lot more muscles and burn a lot more calories when Nordic Walking,but you must use the correct technique my advice is to google Nordic Walking Uk and use the serch for a class section as many of the videos on line use different ways of walking and not all are the ways will get you the best results. Enjoy when done correctly its great fun.
David2

Post by David2 »

ulphe wrote:but you must use the correct technique my advice is to google Nordic Walking Uk and use the serch for a class section as many of the videos on line use different ways of walking and not all are the ways will get you the best results. Enjoy when done correctly its great fun.
Hi ulphe, I am definetely planing to take a course... though I watched some videos and I don't think I am doing much wrong because it feels already very good to nordic walk... but I still think a course is helpful, at least for some hours. :anjali:
David2

Post by David2 »

Btw ulphe, what is your opinion about this technique? Is it good?