Suttas about not moving the body

Exploring the Dhamma, as understood from the perspective of the ancient Pali commentaries.
Assaji

Suttas about not moving the body

Post by Assaji »

Hello,

Would someone kindly give a reference to sutta(s) about not moving the body in meditative practice?

Thanks in advance,
Dmytro
Bhikkhu Pesala

Re: Suttas about not moving the body

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

What about the Samaññaphala Sutta?
But when the king was not far from the mango grove, he was gripped with fear, trepidation, his hair standing on end. Fearful, agitated, his hair standing on end, he said to Jivaka Komarabhacca: "Friend Jivaka, you aren't deceiving me, are you? You aren't betraying me, are you? You aren't turning me over to my enemies, are you? How can there be such a large community of monks — 1,250 in all — with no sound of sneezing, no sound of coughing, no voices at all?"
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
cooran

Post by cooran »

Hello Dymtro,

[10] "And what is mindfulness of in-&-out breathing? There is the case where a monk — having gone to the wilderness, to the shade of a tree, or to an empty building — sits down folding his legs crosswise, holding his body erect, and setting mindfulness to the fore. Always mindful, he breathes in; mindful he breathes out.
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is the only subject of meditation for which the Buddha has recommended a definite posture, and it seems encompass the idea that movement ought to be kept to a bare minimum, as any movement would alter the posture.

metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
vishy89

Post by vishy89 »

Paññāsikhara

Post by Paññāsikhara »

Dmytro wrote:Hello,

Would someone kindly give a reference to sutta(s) about not moving the body in meditative practice?

Thanks in advance,
Dmytro
I would recommend checking out some of Bronkhorst's writings where he compares Buddhist practices to those of the other sramana movements, such as the Jainas. The latter had a big emphasis on "no movement" in the physical sense. One could reference those terms to Buddhist texts.
My recently moved Blog, containing some of my writings on the Buddha Dhamma, as well as a number of translations from classical Buddhist texts and modern authors, liturgy, etc.: Huifeng's Prajnacara Blog.
Sanghamitta

Post by Sanghamitta »

Paññāsikhara wrote:
Dmytro wrote:Hello,

Thanks in advance,
Dmytro
I would recommend checking out some of Bronkhorst's writings where he compares Buddhist practices to those of the other sramana movements, such as the Jainas. The latter had a big emphasis on "no movement" in the physical sense. One could reference those terms to Buddhist texts.
Why....?
He has already been given good answers that correspond to the Theravada in this Classical Theravada Sub Forum.
The going for refuge is the door of entrance to the teachings of the Buddha.

Bhikku Bodhi.
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Sanghamitta wrote: Why....?
He has already been given good answers that correspond to the Theravada in this Classical Theravada Sub Forum.
It's true that this section is "Classical Theravada". However, in the same way as, for example, Gombrich's analyses of what exactly the Buddha was disagreeing (or agreeing) with in his discourses, the comparison might be interesting. We have an Early Buddhism section specifically for such discussion:
http://dhammawheel.com/viewforum.php?f=29" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:anjali:
Mike