Why are the sutta's so didactic?

Exploring the Dhamma, as understood from the perspective of the ancient Pali commentaries.
shjohnk

Re: Why are the sutta's so didactic?

Post by shjohnk »

Also, the roundabout way of asking and answering questions was probably typical of the culture in india at that time, particularly when asking questions of gurus. Contrast incidents from the Suttas like when Dandapani (probably SIC) was deliberately direct and rude to the Buddha in the 'Honeyball Sutta'.
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings,
David2 wrote:You have to remember that everything had to be easy to be memorized because nothing was written down in the beginning.
I've heard the same piece of logic put forward as a reason before, but it seems remarkably counter-intuitive. Wouldn't it be far easier to remember something that was brief and to the point, rather than something waffled out over three paragraphs?

I know what I'd find easier to memorise...
The thing is, you are not memorizing it just to learn it, you are memorizing it to be chanted with a group of monks, thus the repitition make sense as a mnemonic device bith for the chanters and the listeners. I would suggest, for those who might be interested, read the sutta outloud.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Nyana

Post by Nyana »

Kare wrote:The suttas are composed to be listened to, not to be read silently. Compare this with other works composed to be listened to: songs and pieces of music. Many songs have a refrain or chorus that is repeated again and again. If you sit reading the song book, the refrains may be a bit boring, so you can skip them.
Yeah, I think this is the reason why the suttas don't seem to have the same appeal as literary texts.

(I also vaguely remember learning somewhere that the custom of reading silently to oneself is a somewhat of a modern phenomenon. Historically, even books were generally read out loud.)

All the best,

Geoff
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Ñāṇa wrote:Historically, even books were generally read out loud.)
As I said I would recommend reading the suttas aloud, and if it is a sutta of particular importance, I would recommend copying it out, adding in the elided bits, and then reading it aloud.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
alan

Post by alan »

Very good advice. I'm going to try that.
Thanks tilt.
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

tiltbillings wrote:... and if it is a sutta of particular importance, I would recommend copying it out, adding in the elided bits, and then reading it aloud.
And that reading can take quite a long time. The order of 15 minutes for a shortish discourse like Dhamma-cakkappavattana Sutta. Over an hour for some others...

:anjali:
Mike
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

mikenz66 wrote:
tiltbillings wrote:... and if it is a sutta of particular importance, I would recommend copying it out, adding in the elided bits, and then reading it aloud.
And that reading can take quite a long time. The order of 15 minutes for a shortish discourse like Dhamma-cakkappavattana Sutta. Over an hour for some others...
And imaging sitting under a full moon chanting the sutta with a group of monks, or sitting at the feet of a teacher who is reciting the sutta, and stopping every so often to offer a comment or two about what it says or to ask a question about what you are understanding of what it says. At one time the relationship to the suttas was very different from reading alone in one's room, and it always involved others.

Nyana

Post by Nyana »

tiltbillings wrote:As I said I would recommend reading the suttas aloud, and if it is a sutta of particular importance, I would recommend copying it out, adding in the elided bits, and then reading it aloud.
Yeah it's a good idea. It also doesn't hurt to memorize a few favorite passages or suttas and then recite them from memory as a regular part of one's practice.

All the best,

Geoff
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

tiltbillings wrote:And imaging sitting under a full moon chanting the sutta with a group of monks, or sitting at the feet of a teacher who is reciting the sutta, and stopping every so often to offer a comment or two about what it says or to ask a question about what you are understanding of what it says. At one time the relationship to the suttas was very different from reading alone in one's room, and it always involved others.
That's what I like about the Sutta Study talks at BSWA:
http://www.dhammaloka.org.au/component/ ... study.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
and Bhante Vimalaramsi's talks:
http://www.dhammasukha.org/Study/recent.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
where the suttas are read out and commented on.

:anjali:
Mike